New Upcoming Site Design!! Also Facebook and Twitter

Announcements for site, gallery, and forums. AND THE RULES!!

Moderators: Maxine MagicFox, Archaic Sage

145 posts
Maxine MagicFox
ItL Webmaster

Re: New Upcoming Site Design!! Also Facebook and Twitter

Postby Maxine MagicFox » Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:45 pm

I'm sorry to say, Kimiko, that I'm not fluent in HTML5. ^_^; I've thought of picking up some books and stuff for it and to start studying before I get left behind, but I'm not even sure what the newer elements are (though I've played around with some of the tutorial elements on the w3schools.com website). So, I'm afraid I do not fully understand what it is you are asking. Could you provide an example? :\ I've been too busy stuffing my head with php and .net framework to keep on top of html coding like I should *sigh*. And believe me, it's rather embarrassing to admit that. (I hear they've even phased out the font tag! Which I occasionally still use to attach a css property on the fly... I've been careful not to do that for this site)

^_^ And I'm glad that you like how the site look. I hope others will, too, and that it will represent the games in the best way.

I went ahead and changed the image. I also finally attacked the "YouTube Channel" button (which oddly, I found that I HAD done it, but for some reason Netbeans had not auto loaded it like it was suppose to do).

I'm going through and creating the mini buttons for the game pages.

Does it look "glassy" enough or should I add some more opaque coloring to it? :\ Hrrrrm.... I don't want to do up a bunch of these and then go back through them all again. I think it does need a little bit more...

[] - [] - [] - []

Kimiko
Manticor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Kimiko » Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:57 pm

After some searching I've found that what I was thinking of is the text-shadow property in CSS3. Using this, you can just position the text over the background image and have the browser provide the shadow/blur effect. The user can select text that was previously unselectable, and you don't have to create the image anew every time you want to change the text.
http://www.w3.org/Style/Examples/007/text-shadow
http://www.w3schools.com/cssref/css3_pr_text-shadow.asp
From version 10, even IE supports it; other browsers have done so for years. Workarounds exist for IE8 and IE9 in case you're worried about that.

I'll leave the button image for someone else to comment on because I know very little about making realistic glassy stuff.

PLA
Manticor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby PLA » Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:21 pm

Maxine MagicFox
ItL Webmaster

Postby Maxine MagicFox » Sun Dec 09, 2012 5:32 pm

There's a few elements you are forgetting about, though, Kimiko.

First off, yes, I know that attribute. I don't like how it looks, either. It looks nothing like the nice photoshopped effect. Also: what about the fonts?

In this case, the font used is called Nyala, set at 16pt. I don't think ever computer has this font. And while I know there are certain css and server-side codes to get a font to appear appropriately when it does not exist on a client computer: isn't that just too much work for something so simple?

If this were a website for a business, I would probably tend to agree with you. The more font that is possible to be selected, the better, since this allows for more meta data to exist and then there is mobile to consider and a variety of other things.

This is just a simple fan website and I don't see the need for such extreme measures. And fonts, even with all of the css coding we have available, are still rendered differently between browsers. It would take lines of coding to fix this problem.

*shrugs* It takes all of five minutes at the most for me to change an image and to get it loaded up. It's just inconvenient right now because... well.... oh, I'll just show you:

I'm just a bit messy.

Point being really, though: why write up twenty to thirty lines of codes and fight with something like that for a few hours when it's not really that necessary, and it just takes a few minutes to render an image quickly?

(note: before someone comments - and I actually like it when they do cause it's a laugh - yes, I'm using a VERY VERY outdated photoshop. Not because I couldn't get a newer one, but I feel that the newer photoshop versions are too taxing on a computer, and for all of the newer special features: even sitting in class I never was interested in using a single one. My old photoshop works just fine and I will use it until a new Windows OS no longer allows it to. And if you are wondering: it's Photoshop 7.0 - yes, it's THAT outdated. ^_^; And it's my first.)

[] - [] - [] - []

Maxine MagicFox
ItL Webmaster

Postby Maxine MagicFox » Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:54 am

LOL, and the mess increased

I think I'm done with all of the images on the website, so, unless you guys find something else to nitpick, I'm closing down photoshop. :3 THANK GOD!

[] - [] - [] - []

Maxine MagicFox
ItL Webmaster

Postby Maxine MagicFox » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:00 pm

So, here's an update guys.

Sorry, I wasn't able to work on it this weekend. ^_^; Christmas shopping crashed that idea.

I'm going to be working on it this week and next, and I'm going to schedule the upgrade to the new design on the weekend of the 29th and 30th!

<_< Sorry it's a month late *shrugs*. Working so much has me dead tired by the time I get home. There's still quite a bit of work to do in terms of the pages, but the design itself is complete except for some minor tweaks.

^_^ Hope you guys are looking forward to it. There may be some downtime this weekend on the main site as I adjust coranto (the news system) to work for the new design.

[] - [] - [] - []

zamisk
ItL Moderator

Postby zamisk » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:43 am

I blocked reddit off my computer for a while, don't take this away from me too!

Kidding, looking forward to the update :U

Maxine MagicFox
ItL Webmaster

Postby Maxine MagicFox » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:02 am

The forums will not be affected. *pats pats*

[] - [] - [] - []

Maxine MagicFox
ItL Webmaster

Postby Maxine MagicFox » Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:24 am

Ok, the main website is now being redirected to another page and the main site is closed off. Hopefully things will be done this weekend, but considering how I've got a tons more to do yet and my time was lopped off more than I thought it was going to be, I've extended the date to also include a possible launch on the 8th if I feel the 1st is not possible - but I'm going to struggle hard to reach it.

.... My only concern for the forums is a possible break in the headlines up at the top. If this occurs, just ignore it. Remember, it's going to disappear when I put in the new header for the forums and gallery anyways.

I also went to the trouble today of fixing up the twitter page. I just realized I do not have access to the facebook page *shrugs* not that I care, but I was hoping to connect the tweets and facebook to it. I'll have to talk to Archaic about it. Do not seriously expect me to go on facebook and try to do anything. I like twitter because it's easy to understand. Facebook is anything but. I just threw a few things up. Hopefully in the future I'll be able to prepare a slightly better design for it, but let me put my effort on the main site for now.

Kimiko may also be happy to realize that on the redesign I increase the font size of the main banner. After reviewing it today... yeah... the font did look like it could use a little enlarging. I hope the result is satisfactory?

[] - [] - [] - []

Maxine MagicFox
ItL Webmaster

Postby Maxine MagicFox » Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:37 am

Heads up, moving some stuff. If something breaks on the forums, let me know and I'll get it fixed. Sorry before hand.

[] - [] - [] - []

Maxine MagicFox
ItL Webmaster

Postby Maxine MagicFox » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:53 am

It is done. The new site is up. Oh, nope. There it is. It's working. ^_^

Obviously most of the website things are not up. I was planning on putting those into the new design during the weekend but... well... you guys know how that went. *sigh* Well it will be done this weekend. >_< *sigh* And if I have time I will also get the forums updated with its new design and the gallery is going to be temporarily turned off until we get that fixed.

<_<;; GOD I WISH I HAD MORE TIME. I wish that Archaic had more time, too, so he could help. *sigh* @_@ ...

[] - [] - [] - []

Ninten
Manticor

Postby Ninten » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:01 am

New site design looks lovely!

Hong
Manticor

Postby Hong » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:50 pm

Hey, Maxine. Just wanted to let you know that I love the new site design. Good work.

Emrin
Killclaw

Postby Emrin » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:12 pm

Maxine! ITL looks magnificent! I love the new design; the simplistic yet formal redesign is amazing. You did a great job. Thanks so much for the new page :mrgreen:

negzee
ItL's resident princess

Postby negzee » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:20 pm

The site refresh looks great, Maxine. :)

145 posts

Return to “Radha Hall Announcements”