New Theme

Announcements for site, gallery, and forums. AND THE RULES!!

Moderators: Maxine MagicFox, Archaic Sage

Archaic Sage
ItL Webmaster

New Theme

Postby Archaic Sage » Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:58 am

[ | | | | ]

noodles
ItL Moderator

Re: New Theme

Postby noodles » Sat Aug 20, 2016 2:19 am

Looking at the website looks a lot better on my phone than before but uh

theres no way to optionally go back to the old theme, is there? I just miss the buttons. Plus there was more color contrast

Archaic Sage
ItL Webmaster

Postby Archaic Sage » Sat Aug 20, 2016 2:21 am

At the moment we want to focus on the mobile responsive theme, but in time we may be able to add the old one back on.

In terms of colour contract, can you give an example as I'm not following you.

[ | | | | ]

noodles
ItL Moderator

Postby noodles » Sat Aug 20, 2016 2:48 am

Contrast. The drop menu at the top left, the three blue lines, blend in heavily with the blue-green background, and on some monitors it might be really difficult to see. It's also possible that some colorblind people wouldn't see it at all? But I'm not sure about how that works.

Also, the reply buttons are a gradient that goes into a yellow green, which obscures the yellow text.

Of course this is all just my opinion.

Kimiko
Manticor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Kimiko » Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:57 am

Yes, I agree. The hamburger menu could be fixed easily by making it white or something (maybe also larger; it doesn't stand out much like this). The buttons are okay if you make the text on them more contrasting, like white or black maybe.

Another thing that doesn't quite fit are the white divider lines next to posts, under "Quick Reply", etc. etc. Maybe make them the lighter green/teal background color? And connect to the sides also maybe.

Quoted text (white on light green) stands out too much/doesn't contrast enough. What was worng with the old colors there?

Maybe it's just a matter of this layout being new, but I find that borders between posts don't stand out much, making the page appear one long post at first glance. I think it's the avatars and stuff being on the right while post text is still left-aligned. Any particular reason for putting avatars/user info on the right?

Other than that I guess I should just get used to mobile everything everywhere :/ Please don't make it flat design though. That's just too ugly.

Archaic Sage
ItL Webmaster

Postby Archaic Sage » Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:57 am

The blue arrows lines, totally agree and will be changed.

Update - done.

The reply buttons can be changed. We can't flick back to the old image buttons as the theme doesn't allow it, but we can certainly make them easier to read.

Update - I've blended the colours in a lot. Let me know your thoughts.

Quoted text will be addressed too.

Update - it's not quite the same as before, but it's closer to what it was.

The right alignment is just what this theme does. It is the standard theme that we've heavily edited to suit our needs. I've looked into changing it to the left and it's pretty intensive but I'll take another look.

Update - switched over, let me know if you see weirdness.

Gaps between posts, I agree, it would be good to extend them.

Update - they're the same sized gaps as the old forums

Max and I have no intention of making this a "flat" and always scrolling type design. I hate those.

As I said, we've flicked done this in our spare time and there is both 100% going to be things I've missed (like quote colours) and things you'll not like and where I can fix them I will :).

The overall push is to make the forums super easy to use on mobile which is where the majority of our user base is looking at the site from now.

When we had the old mobile theme before we did the major forum upgrade it was easy to post and then the major forum upgrade took that option away and Max and I have been figuring stuff out since then :).

[ | | | | ]

Kimiko
Manticor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Kimiko » Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:41 pm

Hmm, looks a lot better :)

Titles of individual posts (i.e. not the topic title) are pretty big. I don't think anyone uses them anyway, so they're just redundant repetitions of the topic title.

Maxine MagicFox
ItL Webmaster

Postby Maxine MagicFox » Sun Aug 21, 2016 3:15 am

Please bear with us. There's a few design elements I don't like myself so I'm going to be going in and doing a lot of tinkering, too. I don't like that there's no borders and spaces between areas and I agree, I don't like the text title. I also am going to be doing a major overhaul on a lot of the icons.

... :\ And this Quick Reply section is killing me.

As Archaic has already explained, please bear with us as we work on this in between our busy schedules. But it's going to be so much better to view on phones when we are done which I swear I live on my cellphone these days -_-; *sigh*

[] - [] - [] - []

noodles
ItL Moderator

Postby noodles » Sun Aug 21, 2016 3:25 am

Overall it looks a lot better so far!

Kimiko
Manticor

Postby Kimiko » Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:41 am

Yay for more fixes. And no worries, take your time :)

YangKoete
Bloodant

Postby YangKoete » Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:44 am

Looks a bit odd = w='

heprea
Diabolix

Postby heprea » Mon Aug 29, 2016 7:20 pm

good jobbu~

Kimiko
Manticor

Postby Kimiko » Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:09 am

Oh, just found another one. With nested quoting, the second (and up?) level is white on light grey instead of white on green.

Archaic Sage
ItL Webmaster

Postby Archaic Sage » Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:48 am

Would you mind linking me to a post that has this please and I'll get it fixed asap?

[ | | | | ]

Kimiko
Manticor

Postby Kimiko » Wed Aug 31, 2016 12:13 am

Here's the one I noticed it in: viewtopic.php?f=34&p=159428#p159428

19 posts

Return to “Radha Hall Announcements”