probably a problem with cookies

Suggest, complain, or compliment an idea about the site.

Moderator: ItL Moderators

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
5 posts [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
• Page 1 of 1
noodles
ItL Moderator

probably a problem with cookies

Postby noodles » Sat Dec 18, 2010 1:28 am

Whenever I navigate away from ITL, it's like all of the topics that are shown to have new posts are reset, and when I go back to check the rest of what I was looking at, none of it is shown as having new posts anymore.

I'd say it was something to do with my settings, but I experience this problem no matter what computer I'm on. I've seen this in Chrome and Safari for sure, can't remember if I had this problem on Firefox. I'll have to check. If not, then it's probably something to do with those browsers specifically.

zamisk
ItL Moderator

Postby zamisk » Sat Dec 18, 2010 3:13 am

and on my desktop it doesn't mark stuff as read until I log off.

"Everyone else is idiots, Zamisk. And you am idiots. And I are idiots."
-PLA

Maxine MagicFox
ItL Webmaster

Postby Maxine MagicFox » Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:27 am

Actually, noodles, what you are talking about from the sound of it is a default feature to begin with.

Normally: when you go onto a forums, things are set for that session time (probably with cookies, and I'm really just guessing here since I don't actually KNOW how things work). Anyways, the moment you close the forum, the session ends, and everything that you have not read is marked as read. It's just the way that the thing works.

If you are using Firefox I believe it is a little more forgiving. In my experience with Firefox I am able to open new tabs, maybe navigate away for a little while. IE is not as forgiving, this is one of the main reasons that I picked up Firefox and it's always been a nice feature for me. If you are using IE and you want to "navigate away" - open up a whole new browser without closing ItL and things should be fine for you.

And I say "firefox is more forgiving" but honestly, if you have Firefox open for a few while after you've navigated away and try to return, more than likely you will have lost your "new post" marks. This gets me occasionally.

Again, I'm just guessing, but I'm assuming it has something to do with checking your last session time, comparing the times of the posts and marking those. So, if the session ends and you come back it starts a new one. *shrugs*

Zamisk your problem is a little more confusing and I would like it if you added up more details if possible? This includes topics you've read and not read?

[] - [] - [] - []

Sampson
Literary Voyeur
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Sampson » Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:31 am

Zamisk, are you clicking on the back button to return to the previous page? If you do that, the page reverts to its previous state. Then you can just refresh the page or just go the to the forum index first, then whatever forum your fine eyes fancy.

Oh, fanciness. How you have changed me.

Maxine MagicFox
ItL Webmaster

Postby Maxine MagicFox » Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:06 am

[] - [] - [] - []

5 posts [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
• Page 1 of 1

Return to “Feedback and Suggestions”