Super Smash Bros.

Talk about video games not related to the EO series.

Moderator: ItL Moderators

738 posts
MrTwinklehead
Diabolix

Re: Super Smash Bros.

Postby MrTwinklehead » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:02 pm

We've had clones in all the titles so far though, so I'm not surprised this one has as well.

I can't really comment anything FE related, considering the only FE I've played was the Awakening demo, but I'm guessing it's because FE:A is really popular. Like, isn't it the most successful installment?
- [] - [] - [] - [] -

MrTwinklehead
Diabolix

Postby MrTwinklehead » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:50 pm

I know, I know, clones are lazy. It surprises me really, because didn't Sakurai say early on that this installment wasn't going to have any clones because of the supposedly smaller cast? Of course, the part about no clones was busted when Toon Link arrived, because he seemed to be, as per usual, just a clone of regular Link.
- [] - [] - [] - [] -

Hong
Manticor

Postby Hong » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:18 pm

Hong
Manticor

Postby Hong » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:17 pm

At the very least, Lucina is a better clone than any.

If we had one good Link and Young Link never happened, hardly anyone would ask for another Link. As for Lucas, Mother 3 was a disaster in Japan and a painful memory for Nintendo. Roy is pretty clear, since he didn't even have a game yet and would go on to become the worst lord. Pichu and Dr. Mario, again, nothing has to be said. Falco is debatable, though. He's pretty cool.

Meanwhile, Lucina is the house favourite for Awakening characters for the developer, and possibly the most popular Fire Emblem character in Japan, if things like the album and drama CDs are of any indication.

Intelligent Systems, like the Pokemon Company, gets a lot of say over which character they want in Smash Bros, given their positions with Nintendo. Nothing absolute, but both games have effectively over a thousand characters to choose from, so it's probably for the best.

SmashBoards has already found a number of interesting differences from analysis, such as the fact Lucina does not have the Marth tipper. I am looking forward to seeing her other specials, and how she plays out. Would be pretty cool if Smash got a divekick similar to other fighting games (that is, not just a d-air).

noodles
ItL Moderator

Postby noodles » Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:45 am

chrom is too fucking big to be in smash anyway

Hong
Manticor

Postby Hong » Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:05 am

Jimmies needlessly rustled over Lucina.

CD-Man2021
Hunter

Postby CD-Man2021 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:08 am

Hong
Manticor

Postby Hong » Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:22 am

Hong
Manticor

Postby Hong » Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:35 am

The Internet has heralded the death of Chrom more than the rise of Robin.

Ninten
Manticor

Postby Ninten » Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:43 am

Hong
Manticor

Postby Hong » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:02 am

Some people just have a needless knee-jerk response to clones.

If it didn't take a lot of development time/balance framework, and the character is popular, make it so. Stuff like the voice work, model details, etc., is handled by a completely different staff, so it's just a matter of more money than time, at least for what it costs to deliver such a popular character.

It becomes an issue when we have a gazillion clones, because at that point just make another character.

noodles
ItL Moderator

Postby noodles » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:17 pm

if there is a character whose fighting style i like then i like having more options so i can use one that fits my play style even more closely

if there is a character whose fighting style i dont like then i like having more options so i can use one that makes it more bearable

i cant find anything to complain about. clones are only an issue if you think of them as a character slot that could have been something else, and i feel like that's not really how this game's development process works

MrTwinklehead
Diabolix

Postby MrTwinklehead » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:31 am

I've been thinking, how come Mega Man is represented with a cogwheel? Pretty much everyone is represented by something found in their series. Super Mushroom for the Mario characters, Triforce for the Zelda characters, a Pokeball for the pokemon... Donkey Kong has his initials and Sonic and Pac-man have their own god damn faces! So why is Mega Man represented by a cogwheel? Sure, he's a robot, but that's kind of lame. Couldn't he too have his face in some way? There's the 1-up to base it on! Or the characteristic helmet found on at least one title screen? I dunno, it's just bothering me now that I've thought of it. (Also, writing on a tablet is such a mess, the keyboard is too small, even when you have the bigger version.)
- [] - [] - [] - [] -

Hong
Manticor

Postby Hong » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:59 am

It is strange. Even Dr. Light has this before the rooms for his creations.:

Unrelated, but this made me giggle:

Hong
Manticor

Postby Hong » Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:57 am

Robin's Forward Smash
This move strikes your opponent with Robin's Thunder Sword. However, as you can only use Robin's Thunder Sword attacks a certain number of times, once you've run out of uses, this attack will hit with a regular bronze sword instead.

Forward air attack
When performing this move, if you were to smash the analog stick in the forward direction, Robin will attack with his Thunder Sword for additional electric damage. But like all of Robin's Thunder Sword attacks, you can only use the improved version a finite number of times.

Down+B: Nosferatu
Purple-black smog in the shape of a snake appears right in front of Robin when this move is used. If your opponent is hit by it, he or she will be "cursed" by the spell. When a cursed opponent is hit, Robin's health meter will recover. What's also interesting is that if the cursed opponent is struck from the back, the amount of health Robin recovers will be larger.

Neutral B: Thunder
Hitting the button once will activate a charging period for Robin's Thunder spell, and hitting it again will cast it. The amount of time Robin charges will determine the version of the spell cast (Thunder, Elthunder, Giga Thunder, or Tron).

While charging, you can also hit the shield button to cancel the move and store the charge -- the next time you hit the B button, Robin will resume charging from wherever you left off previously.

Up+B: Elwind
When this special move is performed in the air, Robin produces two green projectiles that he sends flying downwards, which simultaneously propels him upwards. However, you can only use this move a limited number of times. Once you've exceeded the number of uses, Robin will not produce the projectiles or jump higher.

Side+B: Giga Fire
Robin produces a projectile that flies diagonally downwards. When the projectile comes into contat with the stage, an opponent, or an item, it will generate a pillar of fire that spreads upwards, and deal area damage to anyone nearby.

Also, Lucina can take her mask on and off with her taunt, like Guile with his shades in SF

Edit - Why not just post the article?
http://www.eventhubs.com/news/2014/jul/ ... u-and-3ds/

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
738 posts

Return to “Video Games Discussion”