SMT: Strange Journey: mapping

Talk about video games not related to the EO series.

Moderator: ItL Moderators

theo
Bloodant
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

SMT: Strange Journey: mapping

Postby theo » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:10 pm

I've been on the fence about getting Strange Journey when it comes out. More musings are below, but cutting to the chase: how does the mapping work? Is it all auto? Are any annotations available? One thing that annoyed me about 7th Dragon was that I couldn't mark shortcuts when I found them. I've been spoiled by EO, so the ability to make annotations would sway me into picking it up, big-time.

Thanks in advance! And now, my fence-riding thoughts:

Pros:
1. It will be cool (duh!)
2. Soundtrack included (which reminds me, I need to check on EO3 OST)
3. I'm intrigued by the M-rating
4. Grid-based dungeon crawling
5. Localization by Nich and friends

Cons: (at least temporary and definitely specific to me)

1. I have a modest backlog of games to catch up on already

4. I'm getting the DSi XL (I'm leaning towards Burgundy) and I'm trying to curb my spending. (But SMT:SJ will look so cool with a bigger screen!)

3. It's starting to warm up and my gamer-quotient will drop considerable when I can play outside again. (Especially in Indiana, where we just adopted Daylight Saving Time last year. Since we're on the very edge of the Eastern time zone, sunset is almost 10pm. It's weird getting into the mindset of "it just got dark, so it's time to brush those teeth and go to bed".)

Kimiko
Manticor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Kimiko » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:34 pm

From what we've seen, Strange Journey uses the same engine as the EO games, so mapping will probably work the same as well. Unless they left out specific aspects of it of course.

Have you considered that the DSi XL's even bigger screens are only bigger in physical dimensions? The pixel dimensions are the same as all DSs, so the result is going to be blockier images. I don't notice it much with my regular DSi (compared to my DS) though, so maybe it won't be that bad.

ETA: There are so many Atlus games that I still need to get (including SMT:SJ), but argh, I shouldn't spend too much money in a short time, and I already ordered a lot of stuff just this month.. :?
Kimiko

Rewatching: Beast Player Erin

Maxine MagicFox
ItL Webmaster

Postby Maxine MagicFox » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:56 pm

psssst: this should go in the Atlus forum where we already have a Strange Journey topic going. Meh. ^_^ It's fine. I'm just going to move this over, ok?

[] - [] - [] - []

Kimiko
Manticor

Postby Kimiko » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:09 am

After the latest Atlus email, I checked a few gameplay videos of SMT:SJ. I don't see any mapping by hand happening in them, so I guess it's done automatically.

The limited 3D combined with semi-realistic textures still remind me of those old DOOM mods. Or Rise Of The Triad, an even older, even less 3D game.
Kimiko

noodles
ItL Moderator

Postby noodles » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:20 am

Maxine MagicFox
ItL Webmaster

Postby Maxine MagicFox » Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:04 am

I don't remember reading about any mapping. I had thought it was along the same lines as Class of Heroes or Dark Spire.

[] - [] - [] - []

Vapour Trail
Manticor

Postby Vapour Trail » Thu Mar 18, 2010 12:44 pm

theo
Bloodant

Postby theo » Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:39 pm

Kimiko
Manticor

Postby Kimiko » Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:46 pm

Kimiko

theo
Bloodant

Postby theo » Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:05 pm

Vapour Trail
Manticor

Postby Vapour Trail » Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:43 pm

Vapour Trail
Manticor

Postby Vapour Trail » Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:58 pm

theo
Bloodant

Postby theo » Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:18 pm

theo
Bloodant

Postby theo » Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:13 pm

I've been swayed and I've pre-ordered it via the ItL Store. Hooray!

Thanks for all the advice everyone! :)

Vapour Trail
Manticor

Postby Vapour Trail » Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:45 pm

Nice! It's an excellent dungeon crawler, so I'm sure you'll love it. I beat it three times consecutively for all three endings, so I certainly liked it anyway...

19 posts

Return to “Video Games Discussion”