Super Smash Bros.

Talk about video games not related to the EO series.

Moderator: ItL Moderators

738 posts
Fluffernuff
Hunter
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Super Smash Bros.

Postby Fluffernuff » Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:26 am

I still find it hillarious how Aether spikes. i havent gotten the hang of it, but theres an OBVIOUS timing and specific range to it. if any Ike players actually master that..... say goodbye to your stock for daring to edge-guard.

and 2 be specific, there's 2 ways to spike... off-the-bottom.... which happens with darn near every attack when youre there under the stage.

but then theres the fall.
as sort of a preface;
Aether behaves sorta wonky in alot of ways. it has insane reach(between 1 and 2 character lengths) to it.... but at the EXTREME length of it, it's only a little light pop-up.
otherwise its a pop-up effect and the sword multi-hit as it rises will just sorta combo you into the rest of it. the distinction of separating them is important as the sword rising can actually gently bump them up high enough to avoid the Fall portion. Though if theyre caught IN the multi-hit(at its peak where its spinning in place) they're hit.

the Falling part of Aether is a Spike. its also a carry. it's. weird. and if Ike lands, thats where the enemy will actually get the Knockback. this is why Ike can hit aether off stage and the enemy will be hit into the ground.... in the air.

however... if Ike never hits the ground and Aether is cancelled... they will continue to spike..... AKA Hitting them with aether. catching them in in, carrying them back down to spike... and grabbing the ledge. this will cause them to plummet with Aether's velocity, but Ike is safe on the ledge.

but theres a certain risk involved. and a strict aiming to it. if you're too close to the ledge... you'll GRAB the ledge just fine, but the enemy will hit the STAGE (rather than thin air). sure, theyll rocket away and take damage... buuut its not a spike.
Too far from the ledge and Ike just wont grab it. goodbye stock.
Heck you can spike someone onto the stage and still miss the ledge... because screw grabbing the ledge somtimes. i know thats a pretty common thing.

i hesitate to call it a sweetspot since its more of a spacing/aiming of the attack rather than how/where you hit your opponent... plus i can tell you can consistently do it.... i just lack the technical skill and found it rather neat.

Also Aether (knowing the above) CAN suicide like ganon and bowser... however Ike travels down FASTER plus he's lower ANYWAY so..... its best used while youre a stock above... or as a flashy finisher... or something. Aether suicides can be a thing... theyre just... not a tactic

Hong
Manticor

Postby Hong » Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:13 pm

For all those SDs you've had, know that you are not alone, and it could have been a lot worse.

Hong
Manticor

Postby Hong » Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:52 pm

Hong
Manticor

Postby Hong » Thu Nov 06, 2014 8:33 pm

Hong
Manticor

Postby Hong » Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:36 am

Some interesting changes with 1.0.4. Among the changes:

Bowserciding now favours the victim.
Ike's fair massively buffed in speed, and plenty of small buffs all around
Meta Knight buffed
Luma respawn timer from 8 seconds up to 13, and can't act anymore while Rosalina is grabbed.

And a bunch of other small things here and there. Of course Nintendo wouldn't do something as logical as releasing detailed documentation. Fans have had to go through everything individually.

I wonder if the Rosalina nerfs were a knee-jerk response to her winning all the big tournaments, because it seems a bit early for this. That aside, I appreciate the bug fixes they've done so far.

Hong
Manticor

Postby Hong » Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:51 am

That's the odd part.

Luma was just basically dying all the time because it seems to have no sense of self-preservation. Rosalina has been primarily winning just with her good normals, often while Luma is dead, which they barely touched (nair was toned down a bit). Just seems so weird to dampen the part of the character that makes her unique, though they did make Luma recall faster apparently.

Hong
Manticor

Postby Hong » Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:48 am

Well I'll admit I spoke too soon about something and didn't give the developer enough credit and I want to own up to it, so I just want to get something out of the way.

Perhaps they changed Luma's respawn time because players just didn't seem to care about it, and buffed the ability to recall Luma to encourage people to actually use it instead of just letting it fall to its doom all the time. Hopefully it will serve to improve player interactivity with the puppet mechanics. We'll see.

But now for something new, and the biggest news of this patch that is just being noticed:

Vectoring is gone.

At least vertically. DI is reverted to its old form. The short of it is, if you are knocked upwards, you can no longer extend your life by holding down. Consequentially, you can no longer die faster or get out of combos by holding upwards. It's hard to say how much DI matters now, but if it is at all potent, you should now live longer by holding left or right in those same situations. Overall, the removal of vectoring means people will be dying a lot sooner, which is GREAT for the game. I really hope standard play will be able to facilitate at least three stock matches.

Fluffernuff
Hunter
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Fluffernuff » Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:10 pm

speaking of which... people seem to be getting REALLY defensive whenever anyone even mentions the word "match-up"

i've had several people try to attack me for saying "Megaman doesnt like a match-up against rosalina"

because that's totally forming a match-up list. it has absolutely nothing to do with how those 2 characters interact against eachother.

up until recently with the whole tier/match-up crap being thrown around, i was quite enjoying the community.

Fluffernuff
Hunter

Postby Fluffernuff » Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:23 pm

tiers are an extension of match-ups. not the other way around. tiers by themselves are nothing but an at-a-glance reference of a given character's performance (due to how favorable or favorable said character's match-ups really are).

....if you let that dictate how and what you play, then yes. its a HUGE tool for removing enjoyment.

then again, some people find jumping on band wagons fun.... and i have to seriously question their idea of fun... among other things

Hong
Manticor

Postby Hong » Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:58 pm

They're drops just like any other. They are customization drops, but the icon is a shirt with the word "Mii" on it. You can get them from anything that drops other customization items. Best bet is Smash Run or higher difficulty Classic, since they are the rarest kind of drop on the 3DS.

Hong
Manticor

Postby Hong » Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:01 am

I'm happy you are enjoying that channel. :) Nice that Smash has a highlight sort of deal like other games do.

Hong
Manticor

Postby Hong » Fri Dec 12, 2014 4:23 am

Hong
Manticor

Postby Hong » Fri Dec 12, 2014 4:05 pm

Ol' Nook wasn't kidding when he told you he expected loan payments weekly.

zamisk
ItL Moderator

Postby zamisk » Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:19 pm

I'm getting Ness and maybe Pit and Toon Link, but I don't have a WiiU either way.

"Everyone else is idiots, Zamisk. And you am idiots. And I are idiots."
-PLA

Hong
Manticor

Postby Hong » Sat Dec 13, 2014 1:27 am

Left: Marth amiibo as shown in promotions. Right: Actual product

Here are some more shameful displays:

Also this is amusing. NSFW I guess.

738 posts

Return to “Video Games Discussion”