Linux Games

Talk about video games not related to the EO series.

Moderator: ItL Moderators

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
8 posts [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
• Page 1 of 1
Archaic Sage
ItL Webmaster

Linux Games

Postby Archaic Sage » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:13 pm

I'm fairly new to Linux and I want to play something like one of the following:

Age of Empires II
Pharoah
Cossacks
Anno
The Sims
Rollercoaster Tycoon
Sim City

So, RTS but not boring ones, micromanagement German games and sims.

I want it to play natively in Ubuntu, can be via Steam. Ideally not through Wine, but I will if I have to.

Reccomendations - shoot! :D

[ | | | | ]

Shousa
Fenrir

Re: Linux Games

Postby Shousa » Thu Aug 08, 2013 10:48 pm

I'd recommend some if it wasn't for the fact that I don't actually play that particular genre of games ^^;

There's a game called Lincity, which is probably a lot like simcity. Then there's FreeCol which may or may not be something like Age of Empires.

Though, If you'd like to try some other genres, go for Enigma, freedoom, Tuxcart or gbrainy.

Other then that, there's Battle of Wesnoth, which is a pretty good strategy/RPG/fantasy game. It feels a little like Fire Emblem, but only a little.

"The more laws and order are made prominent,
the more thieves and robbers there will be." - Laozi

Kimiko
Manticor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Kimiko » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:30 pm

Strategy isn't my genre either. Try your package manager's Games category?
Kimiko

Rewatching: Beast Player Erin

negzee
ItL's resident princess

Postby negzee » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:38 am

/usr/bin/fortune

WillowWolf
Bloodant

Postby WillowWolf » Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:27 am

Taking a computer class that introduced me to Virtual Machines, and I'm liking the sound of virtualizing Linux without getting rid of Windows on my gaming computer. I'll have to keep tabs on this topic :D

Wish I could contribute to your search, I'll keep you in mind when I get my VM set up and I start playing around on it!

WillowWolf
Bloodant

Postby WillowWolf » Sun Oct 06, 2013 4:07 am

WillowWolf
Bloodant

Postby WillowWolf » Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:43 am

What kind of limitations? I'm still unfamiliar with the whole thing. Haven't played with it yet. I'm going to search around and get a few different distros to see which ones I'd like to fiddle with most. I'm thinking Ubuntu and Mint would be the best simply because they're the most popular it's looking like (which means that probably more people create applications and games and such for them, right?). Also looking into Puppy.

WillowWolf
Bloodant

Postby WillowWolf » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:07 am

After fiddling with Linux a bit, I've decided I'm going to format this craptop (Really needs a *deep* clean, and my desktop will probably always house Windows, since it's built for games) and put Linux Mint on here. Probably Cinnamon. Maybe MATE. I dunno yet on the exact distro. But I've been off and on researching it since I first commented here.

I'll keep an eye out for good games for ya, Sage!
UPDATE:
Hey, Sage, you do have Desura for your Linux computer, right? I think Steam is on there too.... Yup. Steam's available! You could totally find games through those two things. Can't say they'll be free, however.

8 posts [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
• Page 1 of 1

Return to “Video Games Discussion”