Anyone playing first person crpg´s ?

Talk about video games not related to the EO series.

Moderator: ItL Moderators

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
15 posts [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
• Page 1 of 1
Nebogipfel
Ragelope

Anyone playing first person crpg´s ?

Postby Nebogipfel » Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:39 pm

I´m allways switching between 3ds and netbook for gaming.

So my question is, if anyone has played older pc rpg´s like wizardry and so on.
And what would you say in comparison to Etrian about them.

Thanks

noodles
ItL Moderator

Re: Anyone playing first person crpg´s ?

Postby noodles » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:23 pm

Hmm...I never played much of the really old ones, as I wasn't really into RPGs as a kid. But I believe Etrian is most directly inspired by Wizardry. If you want something a little closer to that experience, try The Dark Spire for DS.

Etrian Odyssey has a lot of the style of a really old RPG but mechanically it's modern in that each class has set stats and progression (other than what skills you focus on)

I have played one of the recent Wizardry spinoffs for ps3, but couldn't really get into it. There was quite a few such games that came out after the first EO but the only one I really enjoyed was Legend of Grimrock.

Maxine MagicFox
ItL Webmaster

Postby Maxine MagicFox » Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:25 pm

I nominate Wolkenritter for the Wizardry franchise.

I've dabbled a little in these games, most of my knowledge is very recent (or very old) XD

I've played SNES Shin Megami Tensei halfway through. As well as the first Persona. Strange Journey. Dark Spire.
If we go back further in my gaming history I played the original Lands of Lore (https://www.gog.com/game/lands_of_lore_1_2 - dear GOD that game was wretchedly evil and half way through the game I gave up and installed a hex editor and cracked the game and EVEN THAT was near to impossible).
I've also got a current game going of Legends of Grimrock.

Slightly OT:
Personally, though, if you want to get into some conversations about old mapping games that follow the same vibe there's some point and clicks (and grab graph paper because you are going to need it) I could recommend. I would first nominate Legend of Kyrandia (https://www.gog.com/game/legend_of_kyrandia - the second and third games I also played but I don't think these fall under the same category of "fucking bitch assery" that the first one was chalk full of and did not require the graphing). FYI: Kyrandia and Lands of Lore made by the same team. Also King's Quest 6 had its moments where graphing was required (the catacombs... omg the fucking catacombs....)

[] - [] - [] - []

Kimiko
Manticor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Kimiko » Tue Jul 28, 2015 11:29 pm

I think the Class Of Heroes games are also Wizardry-like? I recognized some race/class names when Wolken talked about it recently.
Kimiko

Rewatching: Beast Player Erin

Wolkenritter
Manticor

Postby Wolkenritter » Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:56 pm

Nebogipfel
Ragelope

Postby Nebogipfel » Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:08 pm

Thanks for the replie´s.

Back in the 90´s I wasn´t into rpg´s too. Inspired by EO I bought wizardry 6+7, but honestly their´re somewhat difficult to get in, perhaps too oldschool for me. I like Betrayel at Krondor and ToEE but they´re not much like EO. ToEE isn´t even first Person...

Maxine MagicFox
ItL Webmaster

Postby Maxine MagicFox » Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:55 pm

Unfortunately there might not be a whole lot that you can find outside of Atlus games. EO was made with the intention of being a homage to old school. :) I can understand them being "too oldschool". I agree. I wish more companies would pick up this particular genre. It would be fun to see new and different takes on it.

Wasn't ther ea game made recently? Blazeblade or something... Unlimited Blade (no, I think that's Fate/Stay Night LOL). I heard it was pretty "meh" but it was a 1st person crawler. I'll try to find the name of it for you.

[] - [] - [] - []

Kimiko
Manticor

Postby Kimiko » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:29 pm

Kimiko

Rewatching: Beast Player Erin

Wolkenritter
Manticor

Postby Wolkenritter » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:21 am

PLA
Manticor

Postby PLA » Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:26 am

Experience make good wizardry. Pretty much clones, though. Most relevant now are Stranger of Sword City, Demon Gaze, and the remakes Operation Abyss and Operation Babel. Two of those are even released in english.
"Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons!"

"I'm so happy with my evil plan; goodbye to music, gym and art
Soon I'll have the perfect school, where fun and excitement never start"

Wagahaiwa neko de aru.

Maxine MagicFox
ItL Webmaster

Postby Maxine MagicFox » Thu Jul 30, 2015 3:04 am

Aw Unchained Blades. That's the one.

[] - [] - [] - []

Nebogipfel
Ragelope

Postby Nebogipfel » Thu Jul 30, 2015 12:34 pm

Thanks again :) for the suggestions. I will have to start a few inquiries.....

@Wolkenritter
Yes ToEE is Temple of Elemental Evil. I´m playing it actually with the Co8 mod.
I´ve never played it without it :lol: . Deep as hell and lots of fun.

Tortuga774
Ragelope

Postby Tortuga774 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:50 pm

Could add Might and Magic X, which was released recently (in 2014; in comparison to other games, mentioned earlier, it's pretty much recently). I played it a little bit, but couldn't really get into it, even though the game is almost completely classic (the mechanics are there, but it's not the right feeling, you know) with a modern overlay (it's way too colorful, but that's just me).
It's a worse and roundbased Legend of Grimrock imao. :]
Too many brackets.
Last edited by Tortuga774 on Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zypose
Golem

Postby Zypose » Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:02 am

I started playing the dark savant trilogy in december of last year. I started with 8, and i really love it. i like 7 too, but sadly i can't fix the fighter glitch. i really like this style of game, it's really engageing and battles feel really fun.
I used to be a Fighter like you, but then I took a phoot to the leg

Wolkenritter
Manticor

Postby Wolkenritter » Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:44 pm

Ah right, Might and Magic. Only really played Legacy and World of Xeen though. World of Xeen is amazing, and has aged pretty well considering its age, however the game is massive. It somehow manages to be even bigger than Wizardry 7. Though this is because it is technically two games wrapped up into one package (Its 4 & 5 combined).

Legacy is alright. It draws a lot from World of Xeen which is a good thing, but World of Xeen is just a better game overall in a lot of areas. Its probably a good entry point since the game is relatively simple and of course, has a much more modern feel.

I haven't played the other games in the series myself, though I have copies of 3 and 6 lying around. Maybe one day I'll give them a run.

15 posts [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
• Page 1 of 1

Return to “Video Games Discussion”