Shadowgate 2014/NES

Talk about video games not related to the EO series.

Moderator: ItL Moderators

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
5 posts [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
• Page 1 of 1
Maxine MagicFox
ItL Webmaster

Shadowgate 2014/NES

Postby Maxine MagicFox » Wed Sep 16, 2015 4:41 am

I'm going to make a thread for this so I'm not annoying anyone with my frequent rants ^_^ haha. I'm geeking out so much over this game. I hope others will join me (hopefully sponge).

I played this game back when I was a kid. Maybe 10 or so. We had it on the NES and then I bought it for my GBC. Haha, my parents never got very far. I only saw the later sections of the game while my uncle was playing.

It's probably one of the first games that I fell in love that was point and click and puzzle solving.

XD To see it SO BEAUTIFULLY re-rendered with newer puzzles.

I'm running into a problem that now my knowledge of the first game is starting to get in the way. I keep thinking "oh! I remember this - sling here." *Grim Reader* "NOOOO! WHAT?!"

The soundtrack is gorgeous and I purchased for all the goodies. <3 Awww, I'm so in love <3

[] - [] - [] - []

noodles
ItL Moderator

Re: Shadowgate 2014/NES

Postby noodles » Wed Sep 16, 2015 11:53 pm

I'd never heard of this before, honestly. I'd like to try the NES one

Maxine MagicFox
ItL Webmaster

Postby Maxine MagicFox » Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:36 am

You can find it most anywhere, but if you like, I can upload my rom and emu for you to download. (uhh... I don't think this goes against my own rules since the NES is no longer for sale... errr... hrrrrm...)

[] - [] - [] - []

Maxine MagicFox
ItL Webmaster

Postby Maxine MagicFox » Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:49 am

hrrrrm, the game did pull a bullshit move. So something happens and you kinda get a "death timer". It happens at the beginning so anyways finally the timer ran out on me and I don't think I was anywhere close to a solution. 2 hours of game time. :\ *sigh* I thought about just rewinding to an earlier save (I've been making multiples like a fanatic) but I decided... you know what, I'm just going to start a new one and fly through it. Took me 30mins and cut down half the turns. I'm not sure I appreciated that, though. Well, whatever. I made this "save" so if I need to jump back to this point to reset again I can. Kinda very... :\

I think I was close, though. Also now I don't have to try to figure out how to dismantle two items that I stuck together. I think I needed one of those two halves to do something else with it. Not sure. ^_^ I'm... stuck again... gah!

Also, I'm amused that some of the achievements involve how many unique deaths you experience in the game.

Hey, if you guys do decide to play and you need "soft" hints, don't be afraid to ask me. Obviously I'm stumbling through 2014 (now 98% of the content is original) but I still remember an extensive amount of the NES version... which I'm still tempted to play again.

At least with the 2014 logic can be applied. There was no logic to most of the puzzles in the NES. Especially the spells. Yeah sure they were words spelled backwards but there was still the moment of "where the fuck do I use this?" without a whole lot of explanation as to what the spells did. Most of the puzzles in the NES required you to just keep trying shit until something worked.

[] - [] - [] - []

sponge7325
Killclaw
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby sponge7325 » Sun Sep 20, 2015 5:22 pm

I finally got around to actually playing this, I couldn't for quite a while as I had a backlog on other games but now I have the free time to start this up.

It runs a tad slowly on my computer (Pretty much anything made after 2009 runs pitifully slow on my computer) but so far it seems quite nice, it's visuals are good-looking and I like how the music picks up on more dramatic rooms. I can tell I'll probably be abusing hints quite often.

The fact that I have a time-limit that I can't even check unnerves me to no end, it's worrying to know that if you take to long you might have to completely restart just because you didn't know where everything was.

EDIT: Set the settings for Visuals, Audio, and Transitions to retro. Looks weird but at least it runs a lot better, I guess.
Go, Skyseek Tharsis, Armoroad, and Lagaard Divisions! + Asgarla Division!

5 posts [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
• Page 1 of 1

Return to “Video Games Discussion”