Persona 4 Announced

Talk about video games not related to the EO series.

Moderator: ItL Moderators

365 posts
scy
Manticor

Postby scy » Sun Dec 21, 2008 2:18 am

Tartarus' "bosses" were pretty simple too ... but I suppose they don't really count as bosses.

The storyline Shadow Bosses were pretty much jokes too. I don't think I ever had trouble with a single one of them but you could cheese P3 a bit and unlimited grind the night before. Plus they didn't really vary much. The 4th Dungeon Boss, albeit pretty easy, is at least interesting (much like Fortune from P3).

Who knows. I don't really remember a single boss forcing me to reload there and I used a 4-Elemental Lilim the entire game barring a swap to a Null for certain Tartarus encounters; she was my main stay for each and every story Boss. For P4, I at least try to keep updating my Persona right before the boss (Sarasvati, High Pixie, and Yaksini for 2nd Dungeon; Ose and Undine for 3rd) and I've been ahead of the Boss in level so that may be a big factor in why I'm steamrolling bosses. That and I'm playing a lot smarter then my first time through P3.

Edit: Oops, made that Cu Chulainn AFTER 4th Dungeon. Hrm ... guess the 4th Dungeon Boss was the big of a pushover >>. Had it for the Optional Boss! ... which wasn't even a threat >>

Anyway, we'll see how I do on a New Game+ (Level doesn't carry over! Thank god!) and forcing myself to do a low-level game. Should make things more interesting, though I bet it'll just be some fusing "perfect" Persona and having epic length battles. Oh boy.

As for my party, I tried Teddie over Chie when you get him but he wasn't really all that ... well, interesting. His best benefit, though, is he gets Matarukaja disgustingly early and comes with Mediarama. Made him a pretty useful buffer but fairly "meh" for the most part to be honest. We'll see if I change my group once Naoto opens up (and if I do, it'll probably be at the expense of Chie).

I may level Kanji and see how he does for a Physical attacker but I doubt I'll use him. Does NOONE get a damn Debuff? Seriously? I guess they're just avoiding the Akihiko and Aigis thing from P3 >>.

Edit: Lovers S. Link (Rank 8)
[spoiler]OH THEY ARE SO CHEATING HERE. Your options are to hold her (Lovers) OR let her cry and just STAND AND WATCH (Friends)?

BAAAAAAH.

Oh well, I cheat on Yukiko now.

That said, Rise's Rank 6 message (on the S. Link tab in the Menu) was funny: "Rise has proposed to you." GREAT SUMMARY ... though I guess it IS true.[/spoiler]

Also ... Priestess S. Link (Rank 10)
[spoiler]Didn't know this but apparently you can "repeat" the events of the final S. Link as much as you want >> I still get the option to "Spend time with Yukiko" and it's just the finale again.

NEAT. Useless but NEAT.[/spoiler]

OH MAN. Spoilers for September 8th
[spoiler]GEKKOUKAN HIGH! Complete with music from P3!

CHIHIRO!

SHE'S NOT A CRAZY MURDERER.

Maybe.

Maybe?

Anyway, her voice is kind of ... weird. Dunno. Not what I would've expected for Chihiro. Something with ... less energy? Who knows.

"...the most bewitching bespectacled beauty I've ever beheld!" Oh how I love your lines Yosuke...

Hahah ... Shirakawa Boulevard (Lovers Shadow, P3) too. Oh man, what else ^^

Hrm ... referenced Club Escapade and the power outage (Hermit Shadow) ... hell, I think the timing fits too as that was when Ken joined wasn't it? That's late August / early September. Damn...haha~ I like these little tidbits.

Plus, DRUNK RISE! DRUNK YUKIKO![/spoiler]

Maxine MagicFox
ItL Webmaster

Postby Maxine MagicFox » Sun Dec 21, 2008 6:39 am

[] - [] - [] - []

scy
Manticor

Postby scy » Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:32 am

September 8th
[spoiler]Chose the first option (rest on your lap) and got Rise. The second option is Chie and the last one is Yosuke.[/spoiler]

I dunno ... I found the P3 bosses easier. Probably "harder" in the sense the supporting cast was inferior (though Akihiko or Aigis pretty much made that moot with their mass debuffing / buffing >>) since they were pretty dumb. I mean ... I can't imagine just auto-attacking a boss in P4 and I could do that in P3 with the right planning (i.e., Absorb Elec for Hermit = you win!). Well, I could on a few of these bosses now that I think about it >> P4 bosses, to me, just seem to be a lot more about longer fights since I don't hit that hard on Expert even with buffs / debuffs in play. Maybe I'm just forgetting P3 since it's a year since I beat it the first time but I remember just plowing bosses and being sad that they were easier than the random encounters (oh god did I game over a ton solo running areas for EXP).

Edit: You know ... that's probably it really. It was hard as hell to level in P3 (EXP was GARBAGE without a Wand card or soloing) and you got access to spells later. I think mid-40s was around Ma-la skills and Mediarama? Something like that at least ... 30s can get you that in P4. Mid-40s Personas can get -dynes and by mid-50s your crew will have their respective -dyne too.

That said ... P4 is still pretty easy but I think that was the point. It's easier to raise S. Links. Easier to raise stats. Easier to level. Arcana Chance, if you're lucky, is a huge boon ... and even if you aren't it's still not a big deal since you can reset it in another fight or two since they're so damn common. Bosses are just down to knowing their attacks but can pretty hardcore rape you if you mess up (i.e., 4th Dungeon Boss will Megidola if he targets a Weakness + inherit double turn).

5th Dungeon
[spoiler]Is clearly made out of Gold Chests. Floor 5 and I've used 8 keys >> What. 2x Red Battlesuits, 1x Peach Battlesuit (just a female version with Dodge Physical instead of 20% Physical Damage Reduction) though ... and then some garbage accessories >>.

Also ... I'm level 54 on the 5th Floor and I still get like 1000 - 1500 EXP a fight BASE. I can up that with some +50% EXP Armor or hope to god for a Moon Arcana Chance ... but still, that's a ridiculous amount of EXP. Unless the boss jumped up to like Level 60, I'm going to be way overleveled by the time I reach the last floor. I don't want this boss to be easy :( :( :(

On another note, I'm thinking of using Kanji here as fucking EVERYTHING is weak to Elec. Jesus ... there's like one Ice weakness so far and that's it. Everything is Strong, Nulls, or Repels Wind it seems and a few Repel Fires. Makes sense though ... everything is mechanical looking >>[/spoiler]

Maxine MagicFox
ItL Webmaster

Postby Maxine MagicFox » Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:33 pm

5th Dungeon
[spoiler]:( I ran out of keys by floor 3. And I've got none since then. I'm thinking about going back into the first dungeon in the hopes of getting some gold keys because I remember receiving them in bundles in there.

That being said, though, I actually had a tough time with the enemies in this dungeon and had to use Marakakuja (sp?) a few times. I didn't use Kanji, but I wish that I had, but, they others were falling behind so I wanted to get them leveled up as well.

I felt that Yukiko was also practially useless in the dungeon. And dear GOD, do NOT take Teddie in there! >_< I have him with the best armor available - I think - and he's as leveled as anyone else, but he just kept dieing every time a monster used a single attack. Which is where Yukiko's usefulness came in since she would Recarm him for me.

Most battles were concluded wtih me and Yosuke.

Still, I like how they tried to spice up this dungeon. It wasn't necessarily a "find the stairs and proceed onwards!" There's actually some backtracking to be done. This was definitely my favorite dungeon but :( I hated the soundtrack in it! The other dungeons had wonderful pieces of music (my favorite probably being Marakyu's Striptease).[/spoiler]

[] - [] - [] - []

scy
Manticor

Postby scy » Sun Dec 21, 2008 4:12 pm

5th Dungeon
[spoiler]I came in with 20 Keys >> Since I have Rise at 6+, I spent awhile on floors running back and forth between two enemies waiting for a Gold to spawn ... since the map kept showing an enemy and, damn it, I MUST KILL THEM. Infinite respawns ftw, I guess. That and there's Quests that yield Keys (Charmed Veil [Quest 21] is 5 and you get it in July but can't really turn it in until September when school starts again) and you can trade Fish in for 1 (2x Genji Ayu).

To be honest, if anyone is "useless" here it'd be Yosuke. Most things Null/Repel Wind and he doesn't learn Physical Skills on his own barring Sonic Punch. That said, mine went 7 floors without taking ANY damage. I have no idea how the hell he did that.

Yukiko for me served one purpose: to use her gigantic SP stock to keep my MC alive while I Deathbounded everything. Everything. It's nice having a Physical all-target that hits for 250-300. That and Heat Wave (Chie) are my staples for clearing groups that aren't Null / Repel Physical; Resist Physical targets I just normal attacked and had Yukiko Agidyne (assuming not Null / Repel Fire).[/spoiler]

Edit: Hahaha ... hardest mini-boss yet (5th Dungeon):
[spoiler]...but that may be due to coming into the fight with a total SP of 65 (15 on MC, 3 on Yosuke, 7 on Chie, and 40 on Yukiko). >>. Was simple though, albeit long. He Power Charged, we all attacked. Next round all Guard. Rinse, repeat. Every two / three turns, Heal. Chie got a few lucky Counters off that shaved turns off of this fight. Guarded through Last Resort which oddly only hit for <50.

Then proceeded to finish the rest of the dungeon crawl without returing to restore SP. Thank god for my stock of Electric Balls, Tesla Coils, Ice Cubes, and Dry Ice >> Sometimes Deathbound doesn't cut it (...especially when the enemies Repel Physical).

As for the boss ... hrm ... not sure what to say. First part of the fight flew by and got to where Naoto nulls our resists. Put up a Magical Mirror on MC and Yukiko (both had weaknesses >>) to reflect back some damage but only had 4. Not a big deal since Naoto's extra turn is spent on Heat Riser and Dekaja on Yosuke negated that. Just a long fight where the null resist phase had one main attacker (Chie) since for some reason my MC went before Yosuke here (normal encounters Yosuke > Chie > Yukiko > MC) and Naoto would just dodge everything due to Heat Riser. Humorously, after an Element Zero phase ended, Naoto hit us with Magarula which the MC Reflect (Cu Chulainn ftw?) to get the kill. THANKS NAOTO.

Meh? Pretty easy fight in the end. 57 across the board sans Chie who was 56 (and Cu Chulainn was only 51; 52 would've nabbed me Wind Amp and made him a Mind Charge + Wind Amp + Storm Vow (+30% Damage!) + Garudyne beast).[/spoiler]

Akarshi
Killclaw
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Akarshi » Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:10 pm

Looks like I FINALLY caught up to you two...I hope. XD

Lovers S.Link (Rank 8)
[spoiler]Scy, I TOTALLY agree with you. I mean, Rise's crying and with the only two choices being 'Hug Her' and 'Stand There', who's just going to stand there? I mean really.

I am cheating on Yukiko now...D= [/spoiler]

5th Dungeon
[spoiler]I'm at Floor 4 and no golden chests yet. o_o Well, that's all for the better because I have no Chest Keys....and I always get accessories from them, anyways. Maybe I just have REALLY bad luck?

I'm grinding right now because I think I'm kind of underleveled.[/spoiler]

Oh, and I need to get armor, but I don't like how the male ones lower your Evasion rate by a lot...that's why I'm still wearing the Gentleman's Tux...when do less 'heavy' armor become available? Barring that, is a gigantic decrease in Evasion okay? Will it make a big difference? >>

scy
Manticor

Postby scy » Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:28 pm

Red Battlesuit (2x Huge Fish in August) is also found in the Dungeon's Rare Chests and are good Def and Evade (216 Def, 26 Evade, 20% Physical Resistance). I didn't care too much for the Evade loss though since a naturally high Agi helps. Also, you can trade a Guardian for some decent Armor too (194 Def, 20 Evade, +50% EXP) that is usable by all.

Besides that, uh ... there should be some decent Armor without low Evade for sale. Hard Armor should be available (156 Def, 16 Evade, 10% Physical Resistance) if you got some Fashionable Dishes from the 3rd Dungeon (Wind & Thunder drop them on Floors 8-10, I believe).

Personally, the Evade loss isn't that big of a deal IF the Defense is enough. Like, 216 Def and 26 Evade vs 240 and 3 Evade I'd probably stick to the higher Evade one ... but a 50-60 difference in Defense? Probably not. If nothing else, I'd have moved up to Ame-Otoko which is 120 Def 5 Evade and +100 HP. Also, there's a Rare Material dropped in the 4th Dungeon Floor 5-6 that yields a 98 Def and 40 Evade Armor with +10 Agility.

5th Dungeon
[spoiler]I got 2x Red Battlesuits, 2x Peach Battlesuits, 1x Storm Vow (+30% Wind) and 1x Volt Vow (+30% Elec) ... and then like 8 worthless Ailment Resistance accessories or Chewing Souls. Still ended up with 12 Keys left over though (thanks lucky Chest Key ... Chests and Gold Shadows!).

My normal luck is ~8 Keys used per full run and getting MAYBE 1 good item. I made a good haul here.[/spoiler]

Edit: Death S. Link makes me want to slit my wrists. It's depressing.

[spoiler]Incidentally, I DO BELIEVE I READ THIS PLOT BEFORE IN CLANNAD: Tomoyo After ~ It's a Wonderful Life and ef ~ the first tale. WAY TO BE UNIQUE GUYS.[/spoiler]

Edit: Uh ... October 6th spoilers:

[spoiler]Seriously guys ... you're all dumb. What if ... MITSUO WAS A VICTIM TOO? Why the hell is THAT overlooked and it's just assumed he could enter the TV World on his own? Or did I miss something in the 4th Dungeon?

Anyway ... Naoto by default has no weaknesses on her Persona (just Resists Dark AND Light) AND comes with a Heavy single target and All-target Physical? Fuck you Chie, you just got replaced.[/spoiler]

Priestess and Lovers S. Link
[spoiler]So wait ... Yukiko gets a voiced over "I love you" and Rise gets a, "You're special to me"?!

THE FUCK?!

I'm also T.T at the unconditional love line ... what with Rise being my second girlfriend S. Link >>.

Also, why the hell does Himiko have better stats (VASTLY BETTER) than Kanzeon? All her stats plummeted to sub-20 from mid-40s. :([/spoiler]

ps, the undub is out and CogSwap works quite fine on it (Soft Mod, no purchase necessary!) but to be honest, I can't figure the fuck out of working it. Plus, I doubt it'll work with my End Game save (when I get there) so ... meh. As much as I want to play it with original voices ... I guess I'm just out of luck :(

5th Dungeon Optional Boss:
[spoiler]Weak to Wind. I have a Persona built around massive Wind damage. Uh...yeah.

This was a joke >>. He attacked once as he spent most his time buffing with Rebellion and Mind Charge. Dumb. Only attacked once and proved that Naoto is fucking fragile as hell as she BARELY survived at 58 and full health from a Mind Charged Maziodyne (like ... 3 HP left).

...then again, Yosuke nearly died too. MC dodged like a pro.[/spoiler]

Akarshi
Killclaw
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Akarshi » Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:49 pm

5th Dungeon Boss Spoilaz
[spoiler]Beat it at level 54 without much difficulty. The MC was my healer since he was the only one with Diaharan, and everyone else were to attack.

Nothing really gave me difficulty in that fight, 'cept that Naoto kept on targeting Chie with Maragidyne, so she had to guard....a lot. Anyways, the fight was easier than I had expected.[/spoiler]

I just started the Death and Devil S.link...is it just me, or is the devil S.Link...creepy? >_>;; I'm only in the early stages of it but I get kinda creeped out.

Anyways, yeah, kinda annoys me how sometimes, you figure out stuff before the characters in the game and the game won't let you say anything. Like when (Ummm, this is the time after the 4th dungeon...)
[spoiler]Mitsuo was captured by the police, I just KNEW that he DIDN'T kill anyone except for Mr. Morooka, but the game wouldn't let me say anything about it! I mean, it's kinda obvious how he killed Mr. Morooka and only Mr. Morooka due to the discrepancies in the killings...so I had to waste time while everybody in the game goes 'Yay the case is over happy happy'...and I can't say anything...*sigh* [/spoiler]

scy
Manticor

Postby scy » Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:31 am

Hrm ... Rare Material from 5th Dungeon (Rain Metal, Floor 5-6?) unlocks an Auto-Rakukaja Armor. Hrm ... probably better than the Red Battlesuit for pure Defense. Guy only though :( The Female armor unlocked by 1st Girl's Talc (or was it Boy's?) isn't that great to compensate ... just a high Defense Armor >>.

Anyway, Devil S. Link gets less awkward
[spoiler] ... or at least less "I'M GONNA RAPE YOU."[/spoiler]

10/30 Spoilers
[spoiler]"Miss" Beauty Pageant: OH GOD MY EYES
Miss Beauty Pageant: No Naoto in a swimsuit. Sad.
Hot Springs: "HOLD THE LINE" ^^
"Sneak in": ... ... ... ... ...! Go Kanji and OH GOD TEDDIE I'M SORRY![/spoiler]

Akarshi
Killclaw

Postby Akarshi » Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:23 am

So...did anyone else think that the cutscene on 10/20...was a bit like Death Note?
[spoiler]You got the scribbling down on a notebook, the TV, looking at pictures of people...man, for a moment I thought that my game glitched up or had a Death Note scene implanted in. XD Fact that the MC looks a bit like Light doesn't help either. [/spoiler]

Kinokokao
ItL Moderator

Postby Kinokokao » Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:34 am

I bought Persona 4 today!

... XD uuunfortunately it had to go straight into a moving box. ;___; I probably won't get to play it until after the 1st!

KKINO I FUKKIN LOVE YOU MAN

scy
Manticor

Postby scy » Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:08 am

November spoilers. NO SERIOUSLY SPOILERS.
[spoiler]NANAKO. OH GOD NANKO.

Also, I have a 10 Hiero S. Link so WHY THE FUCK ARE YOU INTERROGATING ME?! ARGH. I reeeeeally hope the next Persona (PS3 prz?) does SOMETHING so S. Links can impact the story. Kind of bullshit that the events in them do not transpire at all in the "real" game.

And ... there's a TV IN the room you're stuck in. Why didn't you just STICK YOUR HAND INTO THE TV? I know I'm nitpicking and this is done for the sake of the story but ... man ...

AND DAMN IT NANAKO. MIDNIGHT CHANNEL. :([/spoiler]

In other news, on track to being maxed out stats, maxed out S. Links (barring Empress and story ones) by mid-November. Well, stats have been maxed out for like a month but still. Oh boy?

Edit: Thoughts on ... TEH KILLER (no seriously, spoilers yo)
[spoiler]IT HAS TO BE ADACHI. I DON'T CARE WHAT CONCLUSION YOU COME UP WITH ABOUT NAMATAME.

Maaan ... I hate being wrong. Plus it's just so ... dumb. I dunno. I just can't imagine anyone besides Adachi as the killer. Hell, he's voiced by Johnny Yong Bosch! That's reason enough to suspect him! I mean, a "minor" character with that voice? >>

Anyway, I'm still holding onto my glimmer of hope that I'm right and Adachi is just making Namatame into the fall guy (first on the scene!) or something. Namatame just ... doesn't seem right.[/spoiler]

Maxine MagicFox
ItL Webmaster

Postby Maxine MagicFox » Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:09 am

*sigh* You guys passed me. :( Prolly won't get to play at all much this week. -_-;

I'm on the 5th dungeon boss, though, which I think I can beat at my current level but not sure yet. It seemed a no-brainer the few hits I got to take before called away (and was the last time I got to pick up the controller).

[] - [] - [] - []

Akarshi
Killclaw

Postby Akarshi » Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:53 am

Congrats on getting the game, Kino. =D

Anyways, I won't be able to play any more Persona 4 until I finish 3 essays, which SUCKS.

I'm planning on getting the Bad Ending on this playthrough and then going for the True Ending on my New Game +. It's to compensate for cheating on pretty much all of the romantic S.Links in this playthrough....>>;; You know....bad end...nice boat...

scy
Manticor

Postby scy » Tue Dec 23, 2008 5:01 am

About New Game+:
[spoiler]The Normal Ending path does not carry ANYTHING over to a New Game+. You must do the True Ending path for New Game+. You get the option to save for New Game+ but your stats and stuff don't transfer.

Unless I read wrong >>[/spoiler]

On another note, the music for the November dungeon (Heaven, it's on the soundtrack!) is pretty.

Edit: The 6th Dungeon Gold Chests are ... awesome.
[spoiler]Gotten a Male and Female Armor so far (and some Evade Ice and Elec Accessories) ...

Male: Tsukuyomi Noshi: 256 Def, 26 Evade, +5 All Stats
Female: Amaterasu Hitoe: 251 Def, 29 Evade, Medium Chance to Counter

...yeah...Thank god I have 28 keys at the start of this place?[/spoiler]

365 posts

Return to “Video Games Discussion”