Games you are playing

Talk about video games not related to the EO series.

Moderator: ItL Moderators

Wolkenritter
Manticor

Re: Games you are playing

Postby Wolkenritter » Sun Dec 20, 2015 5:53 pm

Reynard-Miri
Manticor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Reynard-Miri » Sun Dec 20, 2015 8:43 pm

If they were to remake one FF game, I would definitely prefer Crystal Chronicles.

PLA
Manticor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby PLA » Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:05 pm

They keep releasing new versions of FF6 like every other week. There are eighty of them.
People are playing FF6 on their newfangled, sentient UFO-phonotricorders that were invented in the future and bought with the timetravel-app.

The last version of FF7 was released onehundred years ago, and looks like trashgarbage, because it's early 3D, and is clunky as fuck, because it's a slow and an old.
"Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons!"

"I'm so happy with my evil plan; goodbye to music, gym and art
Soon I'll have the perfect school, where fun and excitement never start"

Wagahaiwa neko de aru.

Cottontofu
Manticor

Postby Cottontofu » Mon Dec 21, 2015 3:09 pm

Since I've never played a single FF game, I've considered starting with FF6 and 12 since they seem to be good and substantial games.

Is FF7 really that overrated? Would you recommend it?

Kimiko
Manticor

Postby Kimiko » Mon Dec 21, 2015 3:55 pm

FF7 isn't really bad per se. Within the FF series it's not one of the best games though, and nostalgia/memetic drift has inflated its status beyond what's warranted.

If you're looking to play the best FF games only, well, opinions vary a bit, but 4 and 6 are most popular among the older games. I can't really speak for the newer games because I've played only up to 9.

If you're looking to play the cult statusest FF games, I guess it's 4, 6, 7, 9, 10 and 13?

1 and 2 are really old school, only recommended for completionists or fans of old RPGs. 3 and 5 are okay, but apparently most people prefer 4 and 6. 8 and 9 are also solid entries in the series. If you're into retro stuff like chiptunes and pixel art, start at the early end, if you like your 3D to look realistic, start at the recent end.

Whatever games you decide to play, do not buy the recent smapho remakes. I haven't heard anything good about those. The DS remakes are pretty good though.
Kimiko

Rewatching: Beast Player Erin

Wolkenritter
Manticor

Postby Wolkenritter » Mon Dec 21, 2015 4:51 pm

MrTwinklehead
Diabolix

Postby MrTwinklehead » Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:12 pm

*jokes about Mystic Quest being literally a Final Fantasy for newcomers* ...in all honestly, I do like Mystic Quest.

One thing with 4 though, is that the difficulty can be bothersome, I personally got stuck because I suffered from a sudden difficulty spike. In one moment, you're getting wrecked by most things, then you grind and you do the wrecking for a while. Then it basically does the same thing again.

Though my favorite is 6. Keep in mind it has a large cast of playable characters, so if you're one who likes to keep characters relatively evenly leveled, it might be a bother. Otherwise, a really beautiful installment.

I also honestly like 5 better than 4 (might be that difficulty spikes thing) it gets goofy at times, plus I think the Job system is fun (and improved from 3). 2's an interesting installment, since like many NES games at the times, there wasn't any proper form for the series yet, so they played around with the leveling system by making it depend on your own actions and make that change your stats.

12 has varied opinions, mostly negative (you need to get permission to wear armour if I remember correctly, even something like a cloth). If you really want to explore Ivalice, play Tactics instead. Tactics is also one, if not the most, loved spin-offs of the franchise. Haven't played it, just the GBA and DS sequels (haven't beaten any of them though, still really liked them).
- [] - [] - [] - [] -

Zypose
Golem

Postby Zypose » Mon Dec 21, 2015 6:52 pm

Honestly, when recomending a final fantasy game it's hard to think of one past my biases. I myself can recommend 12, as i know once you get past the weirdness of the licence system, The game itself is rather fun and while the story suffers a slight bit from bad selection of a protagonist (Vann would have worked better as a party member) i can say the story is enjoyable. I can also recommend 6 as well, as it is one of the best games in the series and relatively easy to get your hands on
I used to be a Fighter like you, but then I took a phoot to the leg

PLA
Manticor

Postby PLA » Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:06 pm

People still play annual FF5 Job Fiesta.

FF7-9 are the ones that need updates the most, because they are in the least playable state. FF1-6 have been touched up in the last eleven years. FF10-whateverthefuck aren't that old yet, but have also started being remade a bit.

FF7-9 are a godforsaken void. FF9 was my favourite, and playing it is painful, now.

Speaking of FF12, it has an interesting story hidden behind the appeal-character that was pasted on. Ignore Vaan.
I don't enjoy the gameplay, though. And mathematically, Balthier is the worst at using guns. I even understand why they did that, but it should be a crime.
Last edited by PLA on Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wagahaiwa neko de aru.

Wolkenritter
Manticor

Postby Wolkenritter » Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:13 pm

Last edited by Wolkenritter on Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PLA
Manticor

Postby PLA » Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:15 pm

^ Backdrops? It takes two months to enter a random battle. I died of old age last time I played.

Wagahaiwa neko de aru.

Wolkenritter
Manticor

Postby Wolkenritter » Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:18 pm

MrTwinklehead
Diabolix

Postby MrTwinklehead » Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:31 pm

I guess, since we're in a Final Fantasy discussion, and it's the what-we're-playing thread: I have recently gotten back into playing Final Fantasy Record Keeper, an actually original mobile game that you don't need to sink your money into to simply play unlike ATB. Though right now I really want to get a new series of dungeons. I mean, I love 6, but dang, I'm on the 6th/7th one, I think the highest I've gone yet is 4, and I've visited 4 other series before getting to 6, though I'm guessing since I'm getting a character in the next dungeon (a random Bard) I think the next game will be unlocked after that.
- [] - [] - [] - [] -

Reynard-Miri
Manticor

Postby Reynard-Miri » Wed Dec 23, 2015 4:09 am

Gleason
Fenrir

Postby Gleason » Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:26 am

My personal opinion is that all the "graphical sprite overhauls" for FF4-6 make the games look like absolute ass. The iOS/Steam ports may be the worst offenders, with the facesets utterly clashing with the sprites that look washed out compared to the original SNES versions.

I'd be down with 5 or 6 (especially 6) getting the super HD treatment, but none of this KH battle system nonsense the FF7 remake is apparently getting. They'd also need to bring back the line about Shadow being a ruthless merc who'd "slit his momma's throat for a nickel".

As for games I'm playing now? Soccer Spirits and a private-server PSO with 3x exp gain. I have a level 126 character on my GC memory card, I don't want to grind all the way up all over again @_@

17600 posts

Return to “Video Games Discussion”