Izuna 2: The Unemployed Ninja Returns

Talk about video games not related to the EO series.

Moderator: ItL Moderators

Riseatrance
Manticor

Postby Riseatrance » Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:05 pm

My current game projects:
茨心 -Thornheart- (jRPG, yuri) || Heaven's Kiss: Fallen Hydrangea (Twine, yuri romance)

(#dota2) I support Team DK! 国土無双 (LaNm), you will be missed...

Follow me on Twitter at !
3DS - 3883:5561:7702 (Please msg me on Twitter/here/Skype if you add me!)
PAD - 201,267,866 (Japanese Servers. Common Leaders: Archangel, Ganesh)

Maxine MagicFox
ItL Webmaster

Postby Maxine MagicFox » Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:04 pm

[] - [] - [] - []

Riseatrance
Manticor

Postby Riseatrance » Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:57 am

My current game projects:
茨心 -Thornheart- (jRPG, yuri) || Heaven's Kiss: Fallen Hydrangea (Twine, yuri romance)

(#dota2) I support Team DK! 国土無双 (LaNm), you will be missed...

Follow me on Twitter at !
3DS - 3883:5561:7702 (Please msg me on Twitter/here/Skype if you add me!)
PAD - 201,267,866 (Japanese Servers. Common Leaders: Archangel, Ganesh)

Maxine MagicFox
ItL Webmaster

Postby Maxine MagicFox » Wed Jul 02, 2008 3:21 pm

[] - [] - [] - []

Vapour Trail
Manticor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Vapour Trail » Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:15 am

Maxine MagicFox
ItL Webmaster

Postby Maxine MagicFox » Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:06 pm

[] - [] - [] - []

Kimiko
Manticor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Kimiko » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:59 pm

I've just started Izuna 1, but also ordered Izuna 2. The conversations and voices are funny. The game isn't as hard as I expected (just met the third god, Kazen, for the first time). You just need to accept that you'll die several times in every dungeon, so you shouldn't get attached to your items and weapons. Weapons can break anyway, so it's best to save them for the gods if you have them. So far, I'd say this game is definitely easier than EO.
Kimiko

Rewatching: Beast Player Erin

Vapour Trail
Manticor

Postby Vapour Trail » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:41 pm

Teclo
Bloodant

Postby Teclo » Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:56 pm

I was really looking forward to this game but I've only just realised what horrible reviews it got. RPG Gamer basically describe it as a total waste of space and its overall Metacritic score is about 60/100.

scy
Manticor

Postby scy » Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:21 am

Has any Roguelike gotten good reviews? I also kind of chuckle at any "OMG IT R HARD" comments since I found Izuna to be pretty easy if you're smart about it (ie, don't suck). Then again, I'm an elitist so ... whatever.

Looking over most reviews, it's just a lot of nothing really changed from the first game, lack of DS stuff (ie, no touch screen, WiFi), and various other small complaints. Meh. If you liked Izuna / roguelikes, not much reason to not get Izuna 2. If you don't like either, then Izuna 2 adds nothing new.

Kimiko
Manticor

Postby Kimiko » Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:23 am

Pfft. The Etrian Odysseys got mediocre reviews too because they were so hard and retro.
Kimiko

Maxine MagicFox
ItL Webmaster

Postby Maxine MagicFox » Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:34 am

It's like I will tell you Teclo.

When I first bought Izuna, I was not yet fully into the whole niche gaming. Hell, the name Atlus hadn't even fully registered on my brain QUITE yet. I picked the game up, and my first impression was "wtf... a crappy game trying to bring something incredibly old school into modern game play and is a horrible fail".

I didn't touch Izuna after that and I probably would have continued to agree with most of those reviews.

THEN I joined Atlus forums and when I discovered people actually LIKED it, I picked the game up again and sat down with it and really took the game seriously. It is an "as-is" game. If you are the sort of gamer who loves the flashy, fast-paced, you're probably not going to like this game. But, if you are the type that can sit down, and look past what modern gaming throws at us constantly, you'll probably fall deeply in love with this game.

I don't really think there is a median. You either despise Izuna or you love her.

An example of some of the ideals I had to abandon while playing the game: DON'T horde items. In the world of FF, you are taught to horde up Elixirs and Tents and specialy conserve power boosts for the bosses. In Izuna, when you've got something - USE it. You don't have a lot of item space and chances are, you need the item then and there anyway.

As for my impressions of this second one.

I've beaten the first dungeon and so far, this game kicks Izuna1's ass. The sprites are better, the battle features are better, the options are better (yay! if I step on an item and drop it from my overloaded inventory, it will pick the item I'm on top of automatically! That saves a few moves). Is it just me or is it easier to face diagonal in this game?

:( I don't like how easy it is to lose SP, though. -_-; I didn't even pay attention to it hardly in the first one... now I'm finding that it's a worse battle dealing with it than my HP.

XD Oh, and playing as Shino fuggin' RULES! :( Though, i have to level her up. I only thank god that I had a Kikan since I made a stupid mistake by taking Shino into the next dungeon without leveling. She died a very dramatic death.

[] - [] - [] - []

scy
Manticor

Postby scy » Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:46 am

Kitsunexus
Alraune

Postby Kitsunexus » Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:09 am

Sounds like I would love Izuna.

EXCEPT IT'S NOT FOR PSP. >_<
-Kitsunexus
OMFGOLDFISH!

Kimiko
Manticor

Postby Kimiko » Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:39 pm

Kimiko

81 posts

Return to “Video Games Discussion”