Rant/Complain Thread: u mad?

Chat about anything and everything non-Etrian related!

Moderator: ItL Moderators

8284 posts

IMMA FIRIN' MAH LAZERS

wat
14%
PEWPEWPEW
86%

Total votes: 84

SirthOsiris
Manticor

Re: Rant/Complain Thread: QQ moar

Postby SirthOsiris » Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:31 am

Cottontofu
Manticor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Cottontofu » Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:48 pm

Get well soon Reynard, we will defeat those viruses è_é
My throat doesn't hurt anymore but I'm still feverish, stupid nasal congestion...

Maxine MagicFox
ItL Webmaster

Postby Maxine MagicFox » Sun Oct 27, 2013 1:54 am

[] - [] - [] - []

Wave-tan
Bloodant

Postby Wave-tan » Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:45 am

Wave-tan | Administrative Overlord
Waveform Development Circle
waveformfeedback@gmail.com
There's no kill like overkill

Trifkin
Manticor

Postby Trifkin » Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:07 pm

^OH yeah. I was the secretary and bookkeeper for a small computer company for a spell a few years back (they built and serviced websites, computers, networks). The boss thought the Mozilla Firefox landing page was a GAME I was playing... and had a keylogger installed on my machine to make sure I wasn't goofing around on the job. He didn't know what a web browser was.

I did not stay there long.

Trifkin
Manticor

Postby Trifkin » Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:03 pm

Yeah. At the time, the download page had two or three colorful monsters peeking from behind some text box. So he thought it was some kind of game. He honestly thought IE was The Internet and any other way to use the web simply didn't exist. This was less than 3 years ago.

Yggdrago
Wyvern
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Yggdrago » Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:07 pm

What a moron.
This post was brought to you by me. It's Yggdra-good!

Reynard-Miri
Manticor

Postby Reynard-Miri » Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:46 pm

=I

I am glad to have the boss I do.

Starfe
Manticor

Postby Starfe » Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:57 pm

Starfe
Manticor

Postby Starfe » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:06 am

Maxine MagicFox
ItL Webmaster

Postby Maxine MagicFox » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:45 am

Here's a list of interesting phone calls that I have had and interesting experiences:

Frequent: 70% of these people use a search engine to type in a url and have never heard of address bar. I shit you not.

Frequent: we dread phone calls from people who claim to be savvy because would you believe they do not know what a nameserver is or there's a difference between one and an A Record. I get that normal people wouldn't know but when you claim to be a webdeveloper.... and the worst part is (and the reason we dread them) they are so convinced they know what they are talking about they will argue with us. ... *sigh*

Frequent: "browser" is considered tech jargon. >_> the whole conversation you guys are discussing right now is all too common, sadly, and is NOT limited to the senior community.

Average: People do not realize the difference between a domain name and a host package or understand how a domain can point to whatever you set it to. Which is sad since THIS IS THE PRODUCT THEY HAVE PURCHASED!!!! >_<

[] - [] - [] - []

Maxine MagicFox
ItL Webmaster

Postby Maxine MagicFox » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:48 am

I don't feel that strongly about it. I certainly didn't understand everything when I first started out and not many people have need nor desire to be tech savvy - they just want to be able to go on google and search for something as simple as directions.

However, when it's a domain registrar that I am working for and the products are web products, I do think that the user should have at least a basic knowledge about the products they are purchasing: do a little homework.

I do feel that there is another category in my phone calls that I should mention:
the small businesses that hired a tech guy to create an online presence for them, then left leaving them absolutely clueless. I have had more than my fair share of these sad calls. Or this one senior couple who called me. The woman made these GORGEOUS quilts - her nephew did the online thing but he had been shipped out and didn't instruct them on simple things like their own due date. Website goes down, the accounts aren't even in their names, they are absolutely clueless, and they both have not opened a computer since the dinosaur era. These are sad situations, too.

[] - [] - [] - []

Riseatrance
Manticor

Postby Riseatrance » Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:49 am

sometimes i get the feeling i have to be some sort of fucking celebrity before people decide to notice me
My current game projects:
茨心 -Thornheart- (jRPG, yuri) || Heaven's Kiss: Fallen Hydrangea (Twine, yuri romance)

(#dota2) I support Team DK! 国土無双 (LaNm), you will be missed...

Follow me on Twitter at !
3DS - 3883:5561:7702 (Please msg me on Twitter/here/Skype if you add me!)
PAD - 201,267,866 (Japanese Servers. Common Leaders: Archangel, Ganesh)

Reynard-Miri
Manticor

Postby Reynard-Miri » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:20 am

I understand the sentiment, Trance. :(

Wave-tan
Bloodant

Postby Wave-tan » Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:37 pm

Wave-tan | Administrative Overlord
Waveform Development Circle
waveformfeedback@gmail.com
There's no kill like overkill

8284 posts

Return to “Discussion Section”