Discussion Thread II: Bots? What bots?

Chat about anything and everything non-Etrian related!

Moderator: ItL Moderators

11697 posts
Starfe
Manticor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: DISCUSSION THREAD: HAPPY NEXTYEARS

Postby Starfe » Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:19 pm

DVD Drive - Is this actually a requirement? I typically tell people who are building their computers to give this a skip. You're used to having one, but unless you use it frequently its a waste of $20. I haven't used a DVD drive more than twice in the last year, and you can even install your OS from a bootable USB.

RAM - Get the matched pair of 4s instead of a single 8. I say this for the usual "matched is better" reasons, but also for more practical reasons. If one of them shits out on you in the middle of the night you can take it out and keep using your computer. If you have a single stick and it breaks, your computer doesnt work anymore.

Hard Drive - I typically shy away from Seagate. Its all personal experience, but I've seen a lot of their drives fail both in machines I've built personally, and retail machines I used to work with at my last job.

In addition, if you have the spare cash you might consider getting a small solid state to install your OS and necessary programs. Its definitely not a total necessity, but it can really speed up basic system operations.

Cases - Elaborate cases are a waste of money. If the embellishments dont aid function (lights, etc) they are just sucking power. Cases will always end up looking dusty and boring just like all computer cases. Just get one that can fit your parts, put it somewhere you dont have to look at it, and never think about it ever again.

negzee
ItL's resident princess

Postby negzee » Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:42 pm

Storage - Starfe's experience with Seagate match my own. I'd avoid them. I also second his recommendation to have a small system/apps SSD coupled with a larger capacity mechanical drive for general data is the setup I'd personally go with, if the extra money is available.

Cases - Some people enjoy ricing out their system enclosures, and whether it's a waste is kinda subjective. I'll spend more on enclosures that are aesthetically pleasing to me. Whatever makes you happy.

Also: Go Broncos.

EDIT:

After reading through the last few pages of this thread for context, more comments to add.

Re. cars and driving: I quite enjoy driving now, but that's probably because I don't have to deal with bumper-to-bumper or city bullshit on a regular basis. My current car, as I've mentioned on here before, is a green '06 Beetle named Francesca (Fran). Oh and squee! Good car, Maxine! I like the most recent refreshes of the Fiesta and Focus, especially the ST trims, and I'm happy you're happy with your ride. I'll be replacing Fran this spring when (if?) the snow finally goes away, and the Focus ST was under consideration along with the VW GTI and Fiat 500 Abarth, although I'm pretty set now on the Abarth.

Re. online dating: I'm on OkC, but friends have urged me to get on PoF. Mostly I just like knowing what sort of people check out my profile.

Once again: Go Broncos.

Cottontofu
Manticor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Cottontofu » Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:41 pm

It feels strange to be a senpai but I'm glad I could help the ones who just started judo, and it means lots of fun :3

Curry-Kohai
Manticor

Postby Curry-Kohai » Tue Feb 04, 2014 4:54 am

You called?

*Important note: Not actually a Senpai.

negzee
ItL's resident princess

Postby negzee » Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:42 am

kouhai-problems.tumblr.com

Curry-Kohai
Manticor

Postby Curry-Kohai » Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:52 am

If I had to say anything about that Tumblr page, I would say that the colors are very appealing to my eyes, I think I'm going to stare at this page for a while, now...

*Important note: Not actually a Senpai.

Reynard-Miri
Manticor

Postby Reynard-Miri » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:09 pm

GIGI DIGI IS THE ONE WHO DID HIIMDAISY?!

CD-Man2021
Hunter

Postby CD-Man2021 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:56 pm

Gigi Digi is Hiimdaisy. She just doesn't want to be known for those comics and instead wants to make a different name for herself.

So naturally she tried to delete all of her previous comics from the internet.

Reynard-Miri
Manticor

Postby Reynard-Miri » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:58 pm

Whelp, guess I have to stop reading Cucumber Quest, then. Fuck, I rather liked it.

Trifkin
Manticor

Re: QUICK TELL SOMEONE YOU LOVE THEM BECAUSE IT'S FEBRUARY

Postby Trifkin » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:35 pm

Why?

Reynard-Miri
Manticor

Postby Reynard-Miri » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:52 pm

Because what if Picasso had burned all his previous work whenever his art style shifted?

Trifkin
Manticor

Postby Trifkin » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:38 am

But why stop reading something you enjoy? So if you found out your favorite author had previous work they destroyed you would stop reading their current work?

And do you know how much of my writing I've destroyed? Pfft! All of it! Except maybe the odd book review sprinkled across the interwebs.

zamisk
ItL Moderator

Postby zamisk » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:42 am

Remember when they tried to delete the superb owl photos of Beyonce from the internet? Good times.

"Everyone else is idiots, Zamisk. And you am idiots. And I are idiots."
-PLA

Reynard-Miri
Manticor

Postby Reynard-Miri » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:50 am

Cottontofu
Manticor

Postby Cottontofu » Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:34 pm

I don't get why she deleted her work, but I don't get the idea of stopping reading CQ (most useful post ever).
And I did get rid of most of my own drawings because it was taking too much space on my shelf.

11697 posts

Return to “Discussion Section”