Discussion Thread II: Bots? What bots?

Chat about anything and everything non-Etrian related!

Moderator: ItL Moderators

11697 posts
CD-Man2021
Hunter

Re: QUICK TELL SOMEONE YOU LOVE THEM BECAUSE IT'S FEBRUARY

Postby CD-Man2021 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:28 pm

I should add a bit more since I seem to have opened up a can of worms. When she started making CQ, everyone just kept saying "Oh, you mean that Persona/MGS comic person?" She was also constantly questioned about her previous comics, to the point where Cucumber Quest was rarely the area of discussion. So she got fed up with it and got rid of her tumblr/DA in hopes that Hiimdaisy comics would die down and CQ would rise up. It doesn't make it any less silly since she could have easily rode her previous fame and used it to help out her current comics, but that's the full story as I know it. You can take it however you like, and while I agree that it was a stupid move I don't think not reading any of her new work in spite is a good move if you've enjoyed what you've read so far. Also she's helping out in Shantae: Half Genie Hero. So she's definitely making her way up, whether it was due to her removing her previous comics (not likely) or just for her artistic skills (more likely)

noodles
ItL Moderator

Postby noodles » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:40 pm

she never tried to delete all of her stuff from the internet. all she did was shut down her old doodle blog. her comics were everywhere by that point and she's never tried to get anyone to stop circulating them. It's nothing in the slightest like Picasso burning his old works, it's just picasso changing his name and no longer painting in his old style. She doesn't go to tumblrs and ask that people not show her old work. She doesn't go to StrawberryCreme and make them take down her persona comic dub, or other dubs of metal gear comics or whatever. She doesn't tell Atlus to remove the fsteak joke from P4G. All she does is ask that people refer to her as Gigi and associate her with her original work rather than satirical fanart of other peoples video games. She's had Cucumber Quest in her head since she was like 12, and when she finally felt confident enough to tell the story, it became a huge success. How is she childish for wanting be known for what is hers and not what is ultimately someone else's? What's childish is to stop supporting someone based on that.

zamisk
ItL Moderator

Postby zamisk » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:49 pm

Boycott whatever you want but this issue doesn't make sense to me. I'd rather not miss out on something as rad as CQ... I mean, if the artist was a raging homophobe or a crazy bigot I can see people wanting to avoid their work, but this seems very different to me. A huge part of being an artist is constantly improving, and one of the side effects of that is that your past work can embarrass you. Last night I cleaned some crappy art off of my Deviantart account, and I don't think that undermines my integrity as an artist. Is the only difference that his old works had fans?

Ah, and Noodles just posted. His points are also valid. I just seriously don't see an issue.

"Everyone else is idiots, Zamisk. And you am idiots. And I are idiots."
-PLA

CD-Man2021
Hunter

Postby CD-Man2021 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:54 pm

^^
^
In my first post I jokingly said that she tried to delete all of her old comics, thinking that people here knew she had only taken down her DA/tumblr. After reading on I realized I was wrong and needed to rectify myself, and still agree that people who enjoyed CQ shouldn't stop just because she doesn't want to be known as Hiimdaisy anymore. However if they choose to not follow her work because she doesn't want to be associated as much with her old work and if they feel alienated, that is also their choice.

Also fuck Valentine's Day. It's always too close to my birthday.

Reynard-Miri
Manticor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Reynard-Miri » Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:16 am

Long story short: CD used hyperbole for comedic effect, and I did not catch that.

Excuse me while I go re-add CQ to my bookmarks. Shame on anyone who berated me for my personal choice to stop reading it. Seriously, fuck you. It's my life, not yours.

zamisk
ItL Moderator

Postby zamisk » Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:45 am

I don't think anybody here berated as much as tried to question your reasoning. Sorry if you were offended, though.

-PLA

Trifkin
Manticor

Postby Trifkin » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:43 am

I don't see anyone berating anyone else here. I see two people quick to boycott something they like based on a forum post they took too seriously without researching and a few members presenting perfectly reasonable arguments for being confused by or opposed to said boycott.

And while Reynard is perfectly within his rights to both do as he pleases for whatever reasons AND to keep those reasons to himself if he so chooses, we are all also within our rights to be curious and to voice our questions and opinions in response.

TL;DR -- We are all friends here. D< Do what you like but don't expect your friends to blindly accept and follow your reasoning at all times.

Reynard-Miri
Manticor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Reynard-Miri » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:53 am

zamisk
ItL Moderator

Postby zamisk » Thu Feb 06, 2014 2:59 am

Rey, phrasing things like that makes it seem like you are looking for conflict. I'm sorry that we upset you, but I'm going to utilize my mod powers and say we're done discussing this topic.

QUICK TELL SOMEONE YOU LOVE THEM BECAUSE IT'S FEBRUARY

Ilu Trifkin

-PLA

Reynard-Miri
Manticor

Postby Reynard-Miri » Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:01 am

I LOVE YOU GUYS

Trifkin
Manticor

Postby Trifkin » Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:03 am

ilu2 Zamitty <3 I love everyone here. :3

Today, I bought a book about fonts, guys. Fonts. What is my life becoming? @_@ And I purchased The Name of the Wind for at least the fifth time.

Liferake
Hunter

Postby Liferake » Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:58 am

There are formating issues on the first post on the first page and its bugging me.

Also, I love everybody here too. All of you. (Trif, Garrett, Zam, Star, Maxine, Kimiko, CD-Man, isometric, Rey, Cotton, and all of those others that I can't list off the top of my head because my memory is bad.)

zamisk
ItL Moderator

Postby zamisk » Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:41 am

Formatting issues, or a bad case of being posted in the mid-2000's?

-PLA

Liferake
Hunter

Postby Liferake » Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:45 am

Both.

Trifkin
Manticor

Postby Trifkin » Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:50 am

Went to look at the first page. I miss Kino. ;-;

11697 posts

Return to “Discussion Section”