Rant/Complain Thread: u mad?

Chat about anything and everything non-Etrian related!

Moderator: ItL Moderators

8284 posts

IMMA FIRIN' MAH LAZERS

wat
14%
PEWPEWPEW
86%

Total votes: 84

Maxine MagicFox
ItL Webmaster

Re: Rant/Complain Thread: u mad?

Postby Maxine MagicFox » Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:21 am

So Monday I got my interview back. The job that I was applying for got filled first off because another company came in with more professionals that knew what they were doing to fill the spots and teach some things to our company and then there's the fact that they don't really know my work so they were hesitant, BUT they liked my interview and I was still offered a position...

which has nothing to do with the work I want to do.

So the job goes like this: customer wants work done on website, they are sent to the team to make that happen. first the customer explains the work and what needs to be done, the work is then scheduled and assigned to one of the techs. I wanted the tech position.

I was offered the scheduling position.

$1 more an hour with an efficiency bonus of $200 plus additional commission off of any products that are sold (rare).

Downside, I stay an hour later.
Upside, not a sales position
Downside, not what I wanted
Upside, more money
Downside, training for a position I DON'T WANT

... I said yes but as the week goes by I'm dreading it. I suppose it can't be worse than my current placement, and it is a 'stepping stone' but :( I really REALLY wanted the tech spot. The thought is so disgusting to me. I'm not working as a tech, I'm working as someone who dishes the work out to the techs. Tch he said by the end of the week I'll find out my transition timeline... really dreading these next two days when I feel like I'm locked into this.

Still, who turns down a better paying position? -_-; I'll just have to do really good and pray that in six months a new spot opens and they'll think of me.

[] - [] - [] - []

zamisk
ItL Moderator

Postby zamisk » Thu Oct 16, 2014 4:08 am

You sound like you're going into this with a healthy attitude. Good luck!

"Everyone else is idiots, Zamisk. And you am idiots. And I are idiots."
-PLA

negzee
ItL's resident princess

Postby negzee » Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:09 am

It's something. Keep at it and make the most of your new position (which sounds from your description to be something like a project manager/analyst) while you're there. I'm sure another coding position will pop up.

Good luck! :)

Maxine MagicFox
ItL Webmaster

Postby Maxine MagicFox » Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:11 pm

LOL negz, you made it sound WAY more sophisticated than it really is.

It's really a

Call comes in > Me: "Hi, thank you for calling, what can I do for you today?" > Customer: "I want an image in the left corner of the website."> Me: "Sure. Thank you. We'll schedule for xx." > Call ends, fill out form, done. > Waits for next call....

[] - [] - [] - []

negzee
ItL's resident princess

Postby negzee » Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:03 pm

DELEGATIN' LIKE A BOSS

Archaic Sage
ItL Webmaster

Postby Archaic Sage » Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:47 pm

Max, I've always been surprised that you haven't set up a freelance web design company to be honest. You could do it on the side and get a small amount of business and build up/retain your skills at the same time.

@garrett, the customer is always right. Even when they're not. Which is always.

When I worked in a Call Centre years ago we used to have the stupid alphabet, so the most ridiculous words said for the phonetic alphabet, z for xylophone, k for cake, x for Christmas (someone actually said X-Mas). That was fun.

[ | | | | ]

negzee
ItL's resident princess

Postby negzee » Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:52 pm

Just installed the XCOM: Enemy Within expansion pack last night and kinda expected to be able to choose between loading the base game or the expansion, but apparently it just installs itself on top of the base game instead of installing alongside it and referencing the base game files.

Which is fine. Except this resulted in my game states from the base game getting blown away.

Edit:
Oh! And I'm totally digging the inclusion of extra soldier voices for the languages they've localized the game for, but I'd be very happy to shove money at them to create more language voice packs. I find it disappointing that even though they localized the text for Japanese and Korean, they didn't do the voices for them. I'd like to see some Indian and Middle Eastern languages too. Seriously, Firaxis and 2K, take my money.

Edit 2:
Also, I'm totally gonna need a Sterling Archer voice pack.

Starfe
Manticor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Starfe » Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:46 am

Hong
Manticor

Postby Hong » Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:53 pm

It's true that I have moulded a life to where anything I say is public knowledge, and I have nothing to hide.

That said, if I am to be 100% honest, I don't like people who are nosy. Like most all organisms, humans are prone to curiosity. It's one thing when it is a matter of learning, exploring, or a request for help. It's the small-talk stuff that bothers me. How I am doing, how my weekend was (I don't even have weekends), what I do for a living, and stuff like that. Just an annoyance. Even more so when it's completely irrelevant information about someone else. Ask them.

Yes, yes. It is the intent of small-talk for the extroverted tendency to grasp a fabric of comfort and "make conversation", so I try to oblige for their benefit.

Hong
Manticor

Postby Hong » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:40 pm

PLA
Manticor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby PLA » Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:16 am

^ In contrast, I don't see much meaning in things, and expect creatures to act for themselves, so the difference is slim to me. :3
"Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons!"

"I'm so happy with my evil plan; goodbye to music, gym and art
Soon I'll have the perfect school, where fun and excitement never start"

Wagahaiwa neko de aru.

sponge7325
Killclaw

Postby sponge7325 » Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:03 pm

I've got such a dang horrible memory. I was planning on admitting my love to a girl I've known for about a year now, but I wanted to wait until the last Tuesday-group thing (Basically my only social time I really get, muh) of the season to tell her. But of course, I thought that the last one was only the second last one. Gehhhhhhhhh. I'll just wait 'til next year.

Though on the brighter side, me and my family's going to Disney World today. I mean, it's not gonna be a good as it normally is cause I have a lot of stuff that will be nagging me while I'm there (Stuff that I'll be missing in my MMORPGs and my aforementioned problem, mostly). Muhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.
Go, Skyseek Tharsis, Armoroad, and Lagaard Divisions! + Asgarla Division!

Trifkin
Manticor

Postby Trifkin » Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:04 pm

I will never, ever understand the things that go on in public restrooms. I long ago gave up trying.

Riseatrance
Manticor

Postby Riseatrance » Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:04 pm

if some of my posts in other threads have been indication, you might get the feeling that i'm a tad off my rocker

it's probably because i've been feeling like utter shit the past couple of days. a mixture of self-loathing, worthlessness, feeling useless, and worst of all craving for that drug i like to call "validation."

god i'm such a wreck
My current game projects:
茨心 -Thornheart- (jRPG, yuri) || Heaven's Kiss: Fallen Hydrangea (Twine, yuri romance)

(#dota2) I support Team DK! 国土無双 (LaNm), you will be missed...

Follow me on Twitter at !
3DS - 3883:5561:7702 (Please msg me on Twitter/here/Skype if you add me!)
PAD - 201,267,866 (Japanese Servers. Common Leaders: Archangel, Ganesh)

Hong
Manticor

Postby Hong » Thu Nov 06, 2014 3:22 am

This gif summarizes better than words the typical process of game development:

8284 posts

Return to “Discussion Section”