What manga are you currently reading?

Chat about anything and everything non-Etrian related!

Moderator: ItL Moderators

674 posts
noodles
ItL Moderator

Postby noodles » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:00 pm

erase your doublepost plz

and this one too

Kinokokao
ItL Moderator

Postby Kinokokao » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:32 pm

LOL WHAT IS THIS INTERNET I DONT UNDERSTAND

;___; that is the result of my new modem fucking up all my shit. I shall fix it.

KKINO I FUKKIN LOVE YOU MAN

Kinokokao
ItL Moderator

Postby Kinokokao » Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:09 am

Kinokokao
ItL Moderator

Postby Kinokokao » Sat Nov 14, 2009 8:33 pm

Well, at the risk of repeating myself, more Hinako Takanaga lust.

Finished Challengers! It's her debut work, and the art certainly shows it. The earliest chapters are just like LOL WUT, although it's definitely still top-notch work with plenty of cute romance scenes, beautifully drawn, and hilarious WTF comedy elements. Her writing is still spot-on.

Challengers is about a salaryman, Mitsugu Kurokawa, who, while dragging his drunk friend Isogai home from the bar, encounters a lost high school student from Nagoya who is in Tokyo to take an entrance exam. The student, Tomoe Tatsumi, is hopelessly lost and naive in the big city. At the cute-meet, Isogai pukes all over poor Tomoe's coat... which Kurokawa helps him wash in a landromat. The name of his hotel, however, was in the coat and poor, lost Tomoe has nowhere to stay! Kurokawa, being a nice guy, lets Tomoe stay at his place and shows him around Tokyo safely. He develops a crush on the boy, however, and decides to confess his love right as Tomoe's train is leaving for Nagoya.

By kissing him.

And Tomoe faints, the door closes, and the train rushes off onto oblivion.

FFFFFF Hinako Takanaga writes and draws just the funniest scenes, truly, I am sadden that I cannot show you that sequence of events which never fails to make me go from *__* to XD.

Anyway, Tomoe gets accepted at his university and moves to Tokyo. Kurokawa has a spare bedroom in his apartment and offers to Tomoe. However, Tomoe's overbearing older brother, Souichi, DOES NOT APPROVE as he HATES HOMOS and suspects Kurokawa is UP TO NO GOOD but, since Tomoe's new friend at school is a flamboyant American exchange student, Kurokawa ends up being the lesser of EVIL. Souichi, by the way, is hilarious. More on him later.

The story follows Kurokawa's attempts to get naive Tomoe to return his love, and then for the two of them to stay together despite Souichi's psychotic interference.

Simultaneously, starting in volume 3, Takanaga introduces the sub-plot involving Souichi and his underclassmen, Morinaga. As discussed, Souichi is a violent, angry individual who harbors a burning hatred for homosexuals, much to the dismay of Morinaga who has been nursing an unrequited crush on his senpai for 4 years. He's kept both his love and his sexual orientation from Souichi for fear of alienating him, but eventually decides to confess when faced with an indecision about grad school. Things go badly, but could be worse, and we won't know what happens with the couple until the sequel, the Tyrant Falls in Love, appears in America.

I have nothing bad to say about this series. It's just hilarious and cute; really good. Also, might I add, this is the first time I have ever seen the matter of lubrication addressed in a yaoi manga, and Takanaga gets huge props for making it an actual plot point. *clapclapclap!* The supporting cast is likewise enjoyable, from Kurokawa's five-times-married mother to Isogai, straight but supportive friend. The only character I dislike is love-rival Rick. DramaQueen translated his speech quite well; japanese words are peppered in (originally they were English words, so this works) and his grammar is just terrible. It works surprisingly well, although the translation of Morinaga's Osakan friend's dialect could use some work. Kansai-ben is notoriously difficult to render in English, which I appreciate, and they don't do a bad job, just at first I was like "What the fuck?" until the plot mentions that he's from Osaka. Oh, well, DramaQueen still does an excellent job... I just wish they were more reliable!

Incidentally, the release for Tyrant has been delayed for over a year now and is reportedly one of the mot anticipated yaoi releases, like, EVER. FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF I want it so bad! Almost as much than I wanted Ludwig. Seriously. Maybe even more.

Also I'm reading "You Will Drown in Love" which is the sequel to "You Will Fall in Love" and stars the older brother, Reiichiro. Funnier than the first and not as heart-achingly romantic, but still good. Not much to say about it, though. Next up is Love Round, which is about the cute-girly Kaoru who, when teased by handsome jock Kubo, KOes the boxing champ! Looks adorable and I can't wait to read it.

noodles
ItL Moderator

Postby noodles » Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:12 am

Kinokokao
ItL Moderator

Postby Kinokokao » Sat Dec 12, 2009 7:43 am

I've been keeping busy. Newest volume of Tea for Two came out, so I re-read the first two then did the third. A fourth is due out in February, along with a new Hinako Takanaga, so that'll be an exciting month.

Also read Hey, Sensei! by the same author as Tea for Two. I didn't like the art as much nor the story/characters, but it was still far better than my most recent disappointment, The Devil Within. Hey, Sensei! featured a teacher who is pursued by a student -- common enough plot device, but she mixed it up by having the teacher being the ex-boyfriend of the student's sister. Gave it an emotional balancing device for the "student desires teacher" cliche. All in all, a worthy enough one-shot. Art had big hands, pointy chins, and narrow eyes without the softness found in Tea for Two, so negative marks on that regard.

The Devil Within was just terrible. Mediocre art, bland characters, plus an unfortunately rendered Osaka dialect for the seme. Oh well.

And A Capable Man, by Hinako Takanaga was just weird. Bunch of short stories, including one in which the seme rapes the uke who, at the end of the chapter, says "Just ask next time! ^^"

Rule #2 in action, people.

scy
Manticor

Postby scy » Tue Dec 22, 2009 7:29 pm

Skip Beat c150 of PedoActress and RapeAccusations.
[spoiler]Kanae x Hiou~ ... despite the pedophile context, it is rather adorable and awesome. It's a tsundere pairing from hell!

Anyway, poor Ren T.T Has to take the "desire" and "emotion" from his kiss with Kyoko. Poor guy. Sad too that this was all over a kiss on the cheek. *sigh*

I hope this ends with an actually pairing. Just saying. And I don't mean Kanae x Hiou (though that better happen too). Oh dear.

From c149:

[/spoiler]

Sampson
Literary Voyeur
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Sampson » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:24 am

noodles
ItL Moderator

Postby noodles » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:49 am

scy
Manticor

Postby scy » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:37 am

Lack of new Skip Beats making me sad and emo right now (c151-153)
[spoiler]So they did remember Amamiya~ She's adorable. In a probably yandere way.

Not much actually happened from c151-153 though and I'm too lazy to upload scans to post so ... yeah. I just wanted to type this and then pass out or something~

OH YEAH. I wonder if c152's "surprise" of Cain Heel was supposed to be ... well, a surprise. Might be from re-reading recently but it was definitely an earlier plot point with Tsuruga's role after Dark Moon so the surprise was a little lost (plus, y'know, him looking like Tsuruga).[/spoiler]

eve636
Ragelope
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby eve636 » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:51 pm

I found one randomly one day called Trace- its pretty good ^-^ not your average black & white- left to right type of manga .. you from the top to the bottom - and its all got colors (except when in flash-back mode) .. the art is a little different, but not all manga have the same! in the description it says it was originally a webcomic

here is the full description:

The story set in the contemporary South Korea. Some 30 years ago, unidentified creatures appeared out of nowhere and have attacked people. They have caused massive destruction wherever they go. The monsters are called "Trouble"s, and get the world have fallen into chaos. Along with the first appearance of the "Trouble"s, some number of humans were born with or acquired supernatural abilities. These mutants called "Trace"s are the only ones who can fight the "Trouble"s. The "Trace" are also considered freaks and generally shunned by the community because some of them misused the powers for their own interest.

The plot revolves around two main characters. Sa Ghang Gwon, a high school student born as a "Trace" who attempts to hide his ability. The other is Kim Yun Seong, who acquired his "Trace" abilities during his early 30s. Soon after the acquisition, his wife and daughter were taken away from him for experimental purposes.

P.S. This was originally a webcomic that was then published. BE SURE TO SCROLL TO THE BOTTOM OF EACH PAGE.

tittle and author: Trace by Nastycat (go Young Hoon) (easily found at mangafox.com -also its an ongoing series- )

scy
Manticor

Postby scy » Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:57 am

I just realized I need to catch-the-fuck-up with Hayate no Gotoku Manga. <3 Hinagiku~

[spoiler]...course, I then do so and the whole confession ending with Hayate confessing to Hinagiku about Athena.

/wrists

/wrists

/wrists[/spoiler]

eharper256
Diabolix

Postby eharper256 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:19 pm

Visit my Anime/Games/Random blog, Detarame at:
http://detarame.wordpress.com/

noodles
ItL Moderator

Postby noodles » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:14 am

I went to the book store the other day and...and for the first time...there just wasn't any manga I wanted...

so I bought Train Man instead.

Kaname
Killclaw

Postby Kaname » Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:33 am

674 posts

Return to “Discussion Section”