General Writing

Chat about anything and everything non-Etrian related!

Moderator: ItL Moderators

1352 posts
Maxine MagicFox
ItL Webmaster

Re: General Writing

Postby Maxine MagicFox » Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:10 pm

Hehe, I started out writing :oops: Sonic fan fiction. *cough* And when I got bored with the same characters (using the ones off of the two cartoons that I use to watch) I created my own character > and then I created a world she had come from and that my stories would go back and forth between > and then eventually I just took this character and her world and cut off all ties to the Sonic universe.

She doesn't even have the same name but I'm very very fond of this character and the world that I created around her. Every once in a while I go back to her and attempt to create a story around her. I love everything about her but I think, in the end, no story I ever give her will ever be good enough and... I think she's just one of those private characters of mine that I will never end up publishing.

Anyways, I think fanfiction is a WONDERFUL thing and it's a great starting place for any writer. You don't have to worry about character or world creation. You just focus on 'story' and it even makes you feel comfortable. Hopefully it will lead you into bigger and better things, but go at your own pace for that. If you never write anything else, that's fine, too.

As for taking pictures from the games, shouldn't be a problem as long as you aren't trying to distribute your game en-masse to the public afterwards. If it's just for your enjoyment and maybe handing it off to one or two friends to read your work, I'm sure the creators couldn't care less.

[] - [] - [] - []

noodles
ItL Moderator

Postby noodles » Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:05 pm

Drathi
Manticor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Drathi » Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:57 am

I started out with Zelda fanfiction--well, it was more storytelling fanfiction. Basically, I was six years old and created my first OC, after playing OOT. Warro is still a name I occassionally will use for a username on sites and he is still a character I incorporated into Zelda-fics as sort of a side character trying to separate himself from Link, when he dresses the same way. I refuse to change the core looks of his outfit, just because he wouldn't be Warro otherwise.

That and being a failed soldier created by Vaati (in the revamped storyline. When I was 6, he was Dark Links brother) in his attempts to create what would eventually be Dark Link. So, in some ways, he still is Dark Link's brother... just not so explicitly. Warro and Link were originally both best friends in the original version. In the revamp, Warro and Link (this is a Hyrule of my own design with Labrynna and Holodrum included in the setting) are more rivals that find themselves on opposing sides.

...I really should rewrite that fanfiction. XD

Starfe
Manticor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Starfe » Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:01 am

NessySchu
Manticor

Postby NessySchu » Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:36 pm

I actually wrote something today! It felt so good! It's been so long, that I don't even care if what I wrote is complete and utter shit, at least it's something. :D
Nessy and I can sports and we have several fan. -Zam

Kinokokao
ItL Moderator

Postby Kinokokao » Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:40 am

3,500 words and counting.

Too bad it's for nothing useful, but damn does it make me happy. -__-;;

KKINO I FUKKIN LOVE YOU MAN

Maxine MagicFox
ItL Webmaster

Postby Maxine MagicFox » Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:35 am

It's never useless - ESPECIALLY if it makes you happy.

[] - [] - [] - []

SirthOsiris
Manticor

Postby SirthOsiris » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:28 pm

Tomorrow, I shall view my short story being ripped apart into its general foundations. It's a great undertaking; mine is the only story in the class that does not take place in modern times, and probably not in a way people would imagine.

"Oh, medieval. Probably going to be fantasy.
... there is no fantasy here. What is this."

Kinokokao
ItL Moderator

Postby Kinokokao » Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:25 am

Got out another 1,200-odd words at work today. Through a clever use of notepad and hiding it amid coding for the website. Fuck yeah.

(and yeah, I mean, it makes me happy to write it, but it's not for a specific project anything. this is like worse than fanfiction... but I can't stop, I love the stupid characters too much)

Kinokokao
ItL Moderator

Postby Kinokokao » Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:10 pm

All right, fuck it, I'll call it:

this is my NaNoWriMo project.

17,000 total words so far, just gotta do a bit under 2,000 a day from now on to meet the NaNo goal (thanks, Maxine, for your goal tracker) I dug out a notebook to use at night, and I'll transcribe the night writing during the day.

It won't make a lick of sense, but isn't that the point of NaNo?

Technically I'm cheating since I'm using existing characters/story, but I don't care.

Not when I get delicious story out it. Delicious, delicious story.

noodles
ItL Moderator

Postby noodles » Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:06 pm

Drathi
Manticor

Postby Drathi » Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:19 am

Working on my english project, which basically has the prompt of "A Quest." So, naturally, I just the most obvious scenario: A Fantasy quest. However, I couldn't really make a new character and I can't stand shortlived quests. So, I settled on just the first chapter of an arc of chapters taking place in a Principality.

The protagonist is a character from my days of Asian obsession, who has been my second longest running character, but the one with the most develpment (I mean, his debut was at 18 and he's now almost 40.). It takes place several months after the final RP of his story. I chose to have him go to new lands so that all the stuff I can't be bothered explaining (events during RPs) are just all part of his backstory.

Here's the synopsis:

After saving his homeland from premature destruction at the hands of the Gigan Beasts, Po Lein leaves to reunite with his wife, who left the continent before then. However, the world is a large place and finding one person will not be easy. Our aging hero is on one final and personal quest against time. Nobody lives forever.

While I don't consider 40 very old, for a traveler Po is quite old.

godline
Ragelope

Postby godline » Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:04 pm

"I was born,
Out of the greediness
of mankind,
While men exist,
So will I."

SirthOsiris
Manticor

Postby SirthOsiris » Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:01 am

Something of an outline I will show my teacher tomorrow regarding my first revision to my story.
'Revision' might be appropriate.

SirthOsiris
Manticor

Postby SirthOsiris » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:18 am

Link is DeviantArt, so if you have problems, I'll post it here.

1352 posts

Return to “Discussion Section”