Rant/Complain Thread: u mad?

Chat about anything and everything non-Etrian related!

Moderator: ItL Moderators

8284 posts

IMMA FIRIN' MAH LAZERS

wat
14%
PEWPEWPEW
86%

Total votes: 84

Trifkin
Manticor

Re: Rant/Complain Thread: u mad?

Postby Trifkin » Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:34 pm

Reminds me of this guy: http://www.flickr.com/photos/arnade/

I can't remember if I've posted about his work before, but the first time I started going through his photos I ended up reading the descriptions while crying for hours. For me, his work serves to remind me that everyone is still beautiful in some way, that when I see a homeless person begging on the street I don't have to agree with my roommate who hates them on sight and thinks they're all lazy useless waste-of-life con artists who'd steal from their own mothers for drug money. Every one of them has a story about how they got where they are, and a point where things could've gone differently.

I also don't care much for internet activism (I think they call it clicktivism?) because what matters is rolling up your sleeves and connecting with real people and doing what you can with what you have right now. Reading about it and feeling bad but doing nothing serves no one. So right now all I'm doing is making a few ornaments that will be sold through my bookstore and the proceeds go to the Texas Food Bank (every $ = 3 meals, I'm told). Not much, I know. Not even enough to be considered a drop in the bucket. It's like one molecule in a drop. But eventually I intend to upgrade and become more involved with volunteer work. I can only hope that that type of tumblr social justice stuff inspires a few people similarly.

Reynard-Miri
Manticor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Reynard-Miri » Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:53 pm

One drop raises the sea.

noodles
ItL Moderator

Postby noodles » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:04 pm

tumblr social justice stuff mainly just inspires people to not pay attention to social justice because the general perception is that tumblr activists are just special snowflakes who bully people into having the same opinions as them

zamisk
ItL Moderator

Postby zamisk » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:44 pm

The other week when I lived like I was homeless for a week it was super frustrating, because I already had helped out before and and knew what was up but we spent the week learning and not helping much.

"Everyone else is idiots, Zamisk. And you am idiots. And I are idiots."
-PLA

zamisk
ItL Moderator

Postby zamisk » Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:32 am

Ha ha, fuck.

I just got fired.

-PLA

CD-Man2021
Hunter

Postby CD-Man2021 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:40 am

Shit. Why?

zamisk
ItL Moderator

Postby zamisk » Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:05 am

Backstory, this was a pizza joint. I liked all my coworkers besides my boss and enjoyed the job the shifts my boss wasn't there, but she was kind of awful. She hired me for $11 an hour, then said I wasn't working hard enough (which isn't true, nobody else thought so) and docked it to $10 an hour, minimum wage here. I found out she's done this in the past to others who also worked fine. Then I found out she watched the security cameras all the time with the monitor she had set up at home in her living room. She called in to the store and told people to work harder all the time, (but she never had to for me because I worked hard...) She also had sound recorders throughout the entire store and she reviewed everything said apparently. Most of the other workers spoke in their home languages to avoid that. So just lots of things over time added up and I recently started looking for work elsewhere.

Anyways, today I came in and she told me employees couldn't take home the expired hot n' ready pizzas anymore because "someone" was abusing this "privilege". (We throw out dozens of pizzas a day, it's hardly a privilege to not waste food.) Anyways, after I went and changed and clocked in, she kept on bringing it up, about this "someone" finishing for... an apology or something? After about 10 minutes of this, I finally snapped and told her they get thrown out anyways, and asked her if she'd never had a hungry college student work for her before. She told me to get out. I changed into my street clothes, grabbed my pay cheque, and walked out with my head held high. Then I called me mum.

-PLA

noodles
ItL Moderator

Postby noodles » Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:44 am

is all of that recording stuff legal? was it in writing somewhere that you consent to it before you got the job?

zamisk
ItL Moderator

Postby zamisk » Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:56 am

Probably not, and nope. I'm not 100% sure it's not a rumor anyways.

-PLA

CareLevelZero
Ragelope

Postby CareLevelZero » Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:54 am

All design, all the time.
@WorkAsDesigned

Wolkenritter
Manticor

Postby Wolkenritter » Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:22 am

So I've crashed and burned on my college course. The amount of time given for the second semester is very tight and doesn't allow much room for freedom. I'll probably end up resitting the damn thing, or better yet, do it at a different institution that doesn't give you only 2 months to complete an entire semester's amount of work.

Cottontofu
Manticor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Cottontofu » Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:54 pm

zamisk
ItL Moderator

Postby zamisk » Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:27 am

-PLA

CD-Man2021
Hunter

Postby CD-Man2021 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:39 am

Cottontofu
Manticor

Postby Cottontofu » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:26 am

Zamisk: I should have specified that I was prepared to counterattack if they were going to hit me. Of course I was pissed and felt they shouldn't have been around in the first place, but I would never pick up a fight.

8284 posts

Return to “Discussion Section”