Rant/Complain Thread: u mad?

Chat about anything and everything non-Etrian related!

Moderator: ItL Moderators

8284 posts

IMMA FIRIN' MAH LAZERS

wat
14%
PEWPEWPEW
86%

Total votes: 84

PLA
Manticor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Rant/Complain Thread: u mad?

Postby PLA » Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:49 pm

Replacing a laptop's motherboard is a fool's errand.
"Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons!"

"I'm so happy with my evil plan; goodbye to music, gym and art
Soon I'll have the perfect school, where fun and excitement never start"

Wagahaiwa neko de aru.

Kimiko
Manticor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Kimiko » Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:36 pm

Unless you happen to have two identical broken laptops where you can use parts from both to make one working laptop, yah, replacing the motherboard isn't worth the hassle and expense.

On the other hand, being able to take a laptop apart and put it back together might be a useful skill. I think in the two years I worked as a PC/laptop refurbisher/customizer I only once or twice replaced a laptop mainboard. It's so much work that it's not worth it. It's a fun challenge though, much more interesting than simply cleaning the things or adding WLAN cards.
Kimiko

Rewatching: Beast Player Erin

Starfe
Manticor

Postby Starfe » Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:56 am

I was very much a laptop detractor for a long time for exactly this reason. You break it, you buy a new one. I now have a laptop that I quite like, though I can't say its intensely portable, and I would still hate nothing more than to have to open it up and do some work on it.

Apolloncrash
Killclaw

Postby Apolloncrash » Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:08 am

@ants: We had a huge ant problem at the last place I lived. The bastards were everywhere and, even after bringing in a few different exterminators, we never successfully got rid of them. One time I flipped opened my 3DS and there was an entire nest inside. The entire right side was covered in eggs and the left was covered in ants, as was the bottom screen. Note that when I say covered, I mean covered, as in you could not even see anything else. Also note that I had only just played it the night before. That was kind of nightmare fuelish.

@laptops: I've only had to replace the motherboard on a laptop once, but it was a gaming laptop (technically a desktop replacement) that was designed to be taken apart and upgraded, so it wasn't that big of a deal. Replacing/upgrading much more than say the RAM or HDDs in a regular laptop can be a huge pain in the ass, but I personally would never buy a non-gaming laptop, so at least I don't have to worry about it when dealing with my own PCs.
Don't Die.

Maxine MagicFox
ItL Webmaster

Postby Maxine MagicFox » Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:56 am

I like it when I visit a place hoping for happy vibes, wanting to enjoy fifteen minutes of something fun before I rush off to bed but instead get slammed with something unpleasant and now I'm going to bed pissed off.

On a more personal note, and the reason I was coming on here in the first place:
My simple rant:
I am rather annoyed at the people who are putting down the public opinion that there is too much sexism in video games. Perhaps it is an overdrawn criticism now and people are annoyed to hear it. However, as someone who over ten years ago had to change her username from Max to Maxine because "GIRLS DON'T PLAY GAMES", I am very pleased that this has become an issue at all. Having started out doing a website which was a male dominant thing, then making it about video games, trying to convince people I was female when they had the name "Max" stuck in their heads was almost impossible. Even with the name Maxine people still insisted on thinking I was male. It was literally impossible for them to wrap their minds around the concept.

So... rage on, sexism haters, rage on.

[] - [] - [] - []

Fluffernuff
Hunter

Postby Fluffernuff » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:04 am

well yeah sexism exists in the community as a whole..

though.. i choose to be naive and say its a minority.. a very loud very attention-seeking minority...

i dont want to hate humanity more

Kimiko
Manticor

Postby Kimiko » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:12 am

Hear hear, Maxine. It's good when site owners/admins speak up like that and don't just tolerate the status-quo hoping it'll blow over.
Kimiko

Rewatching: Beast Player Erin

Trifkin
Manticor

Postby Trifkin » Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:46 pm

Yeah, I remember being frowned upon when I was younger because, "video games are for boys." Yeah? Well so is climbing trees and building computers and shooting guns and working on houses and doing your own mechanic work when your car malfunctions, and I, despite possessing a supposedly debilitating vagina, have done all of those things. I also wear only skirts and dresses and squeal over cute things. Get. Over it.

Fluffernuff
Hunter

Postby Fluffernuff » Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:49 pm

I've personally never met any sexist gamers in person, myself. Lord knows im not, either...
I feel like its getting more attention now though. negative attention. Thanks to people like Anita. Frankly, it kind of makes me sad.

Archaic Sage
ItL Webmaster

Postby Archaic Sage » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:03 pm

I think all of you men pretending to be women is disgusting. Girls don't play games. Stop pretending.

[ | | | | ]

Fluffernuff
Hunter

Postby Fluffernuff » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:30 pm

Hey! i put the MAN in woMAN!

Trifkin
Manticor

Postby Trifkin » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:55 pm

Fluffernuff
Hunter

Postby Fluffernuff » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:22 pm

I apologize, i wasnt trying to say it WASN'T an issue. i know it is.

I've just never personally overheard or dealt with it, even in MMOs... maybe i just gravitate away from that section of gamers...

The reason i say Anita is giving negative attention to the problem is the structure of her messages. They are often taken out of context and sometimes outright false. Any genuine points i would otherwise agree with are lost under pointing fingers, accusations, and pushing an agenda.

I'd just love if it was brought to light WITHOUT biases, yknow?
"its sexist because men" isnt a good enough argument for me...

I truly wish i had an answer to it, though. I know my position is just as much a minority as the sexist... and we're not as loud. and neither are the people who care.

Maxine MagicFox
ItL Webmaster

Postby Maxine MagicFox » Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:40 am

14+ years ago it was a really heightened issue for me. At one point I remember that for a forum signature I literally put "YES I am a female". There was even one situation where I had a site staff member working for me for six months and a casual comment from me revealed to him my gender. It literally blew his mind that night and that's all he would talk about. It was amusing, but also degrading.

These days I am very pleased to see that there are far more females on video game forums than I experienced in my youth. The problem has gotten progressively better. Now I feel I could safely use a username as "Max" and people would, for the most part, not assume that I'm female or at least not have their minds do a nuclear meltdown when I reveal my gender.

It was just a tweet I read from someone the other night that was "OMG so sick of hearing about sexism". I can somewhat agree. It is being hammered into the ground, but out of all the topics in the world that people could over rage about this is definitely the most pleasing. I do feel that some people can be oversensitive and that game developers are not being purposely sexist.

I do also feel that sometimes people do not point out the truly sexist things. They get hung up on a single comment in a game that was innocent enough, however they rarely ever suggest some MMO with a half dressed female (and Dragon's Crown, looking at you, too) as being sexist. Sometimes it's even overlooked as being comedic (what's that Sengra game, can't remember off hand). I sometimes feel that people need to re-prioritize and rage against the correct things.

@garrett - thinking that it is just a high schooler problem is just laying blame to a minority. This is not true. There are many people my age that are still suck in this old way of thinking. It does not end with high school. Especially if you apply the logic that video game designers (the people we are raging about) are often college-level graduates. Please look up the developers of companies like Blizzard and look at their ages. You think those are high schoolers? And yet they are the worst offenders of the female-armor issue.

[] - [] - [] - []

Maxine MagicFox
ItL Webmaster

Postby Maxine MagicFox » Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:35 am

Garrett - my target audience for my stories is high schoolers. Are you going to tell me that I do not bare some responsibility as the owner of my creation about what I place into my story? If I write a story condoning rape, are you going to say that I can hide behind the cover "oh, but my target audience is rapists".

Seriously?

Besides, these creations come out of the creator's mind. I would never think of and/or draw this (if I could draw): http://cache.desktopnexus.com/thumbnail ... mbnail.jpg

Don't we have proof already that high school boys are ok with females that are decently dressed? Or am I just imagining things when I look at Samus? Princess Zelda? How about any of the popular Touhou characters? How about our own Etrian Odyssey characters (minus a few notable exceptions of course, haha). Medigirl doesn't even have breasts.

Yet they still seem to draw a very big crowd.

[] - [] - [] - []

8284 posts

Return to “Discussion Section”