Random Image Thread!

Chat about anything and everything non-Etrian related!

Moderator: ItL Moderators

7856 posts
Starfe
Manticor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Random Image Thread!

Postby Starfe » Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:10 am

What I did was akin to citing a secondary source instead of a primary source. This is not a practice meant to take away from the original work and is extremely common in both academia and normal human discourse. I'm simply providing the website which gives more information on what the comic posted is referencing and where it came from, rather than posting a link to the original comic with no additional context.

The original comic is the primary source material, the know your meme page is the analysis of that meme including both its origins and subsequent exploits. Certainly the joke can be understood by looking at the difference between the original comic and the one posted, but the main source of comedy here is in the subversion of expectations. The original comic has been iterated so many times that people expect it to end with a guy getting tossed out a window, so when he suggests "windows" and then is not able to be thrown out of one, it subverts the expectation of the meme. If someone does not have built up expectations for how a meme type joke works then the joke of the comic posted is kind of lost, and it simply becomes a slapstick joke where I guy gets thrown into a wall. So rather than posting simply the primary source material, which features a similar joke but does not explain the meme based nature of the humor, I posted the secondary source material, a website analyzing the origins and humor of meme because it provides more information for people who might be confused about what exactly the comic posted is referencing.

I was not, as you appear to be suggesting, trying to give more credit to the know your meme folks instead of the original artist. I posted that link because it gives information on the meme the comic is part of rather than the single instance of the original version. As I was trying to point out that the comic is subverting an existing meme, instead of simply parodying another comic, it made much more sense to post a page describing and explaining the meme than to post the original comic. If the meme had an easily accessible Wikipedia page (a tertiary source), I might have posted that instead. Perhaps that would have taken the sting out of it? Even so, I think any reasonable person who reads the page or has ever seen a meme before would understand that the know your meme page is not, in any way, taking credit for the original art, and the link you yourself posted is available almost immediately into the page, because thats what secondary sources do, they analyze and cite primary sources.

And while I'm explaining things like this, accreditation is a process for getting credibility. The word you were looking for was "credit", as in "Starfe wasn't trying to give credit to another source, he was just trying to provide information on a meme, as that appeared to be the subject of discussion."

Trifkin
Manticor

Postby Trifkin » Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:04 pm

I like reading the Know Your Meme site. I do not necessarily want to give site traffic and ad revenue to the original site.

Anyway, here's a giraffe:

Hong
Manticor

Postby Hong » Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:30 pm

Hong
Manticor

Postby Hong » Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:06 am

^ You can't stop me! *Prepares quill and parchment for swoon-worthy romantic poetry*

Starfe
Manticor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Starfe » Thu Oct 09, 2014 6:18 am

More dunking themed freedom photos please

MrTwinklehead
Diabolix

Postby MrTwinklehead » Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:13 pm

A collaboration I didn't know I really needed until now:

I really hope Chandelure is a future subject.
- [] - [] - [] - [] -

Hong
Manticor

Postby Hong » Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:11 am

Hong
Manticor

Postby Hong » Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:23 pm

BIONIC AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRR--

zamisk
ItL Moderator

Postby zamisk » Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:13 am

Before I cut my arm off, how much are those things?

@__@

"Everyone else is idiots, Zamisk. And you am idiots. And I are idiots."
-PLA

Hong
Manticor

Postby Hong » Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:37 am

Hong
Manticor

Postby Hong » Sat Nov 01, 2014 2:13 pm

... Well, there is that guy who replaced his thumb with a USB drive. ◔ᴗ◔

Weeaboolits
Manticor

Postby Weeaboolits » Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:07 am

Hong
Manticor

Postby Hong » Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:15 am

I say "Hey".

What's goin' on? ◔ᴗ◔

Hong
Manticor

Postby Hong » Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:28 am

Oh, but this is only the beginning of the things I am going to do to you.

Look at the centre of the image, and a green dot shall appear.

Now follow the green dot.

Wait... Where did it go? It was never there to begin with!

Now focus very hard on the centre black + and watch as the pink fades from existence. ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

zamisk
ItL Moderator

Postby zamisk » Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:39 pm

All I see is the eye of the illuminati what am I doing wrong?

"Everyone else is idiots, Zamisk. And you am idiots. And I are idiots."
-PLA

7856 posts

Return to “Discussion Section”