Etrian Odyssey 3

Chat about anything and everything non-Etrian related!

Moderator: ItL Moderators

Maxine MagicFox
ItL Webmaster

Postby Maxine MagicFox » Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:07 pm

[] - [] - [] - []

Kinokokao
ItL Moderator

Postby Kinokokao » Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:34 pm

YOU TELL ME EVERYDAY WITH YOUR SPARKLING PRESENCE

KKINO I FUKKIN LOVE YOU MAN

Hanyou
Killclaw
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Hanyou » Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:49 am

I hope the game is simple enough for someone like me to be able to make it past the first dungeon. :cry:

ZetaBladeX13
ItL Moderator

Postby ZetaBladeX13 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:53 am

If anyone can do it, it's you XD

Maxine MagicFox
ItL Webmaster

Postby Maxine MagicFox » Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:45 am

[] - [] - [] - []

Hanyou
Killclaw
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Hanyou » Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:10 am

Maxine MagicFox
ItL Webmaster

Postby Maxine MagicFox » Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:40 pm

*nods* the game isn't for everyone. It can be downright evil. Here's a few tips for you Hanyou: (spoilered for length)

[spoiler]
#1: You dieing over and over and over and over again... :3 that's the game. The game is fucking hard ESPECIALLY when you are first starting out. That's why the creator put in that you can save your map even when you get a Game Over - because you are going to get them.

Seriously, here's a tip for newbies: go down the stairs and up a little (because I don't think you get attacked right at the stairs on the first floor) and while staying close to the stairs, spend a good half an hour or so fighting - and running back up the stairs to go to the in and heal yourself. Do this until you think you are buffed enough to try more of the floor. <-- you will actually be doing this on every new stratum and geopoint.

Tch, and just wait until you start running into FOEs, the orange orbs. You spend your entire game RUNNING from these bastards because if you get into a fight with them chances are you are going to get a game over. :evil: That funny music video is only funny because of the irony of it. T-T

#2: Finding a good team that's good for you is part of the battle and honestly it's something that you will be spending time on for the entirety of the game. Even once you get into a new stratum you may decide "damn fucking alchemist is no good! gah! let me try someone else". (This is also why most of us are so interested in each other's teams - ask us and try our combinations!) Building them up is part of the challenge, too: you will be resting them - dropping them five levels in order to free up their skill points so you can try different combinations.

A nice cookie-cutter team to get you started:
Landsknecht, Dark Hunter
Gunner, Medic, Alchemist

But SERIOUSLY this may not work for you. :3 This is why we have many topics asking "so what does this character do? what would you recommend I put in my part? bah! this other character sucks, should I replace?"

You see my team in my siggy, that's what I used the entire game. Try and see if it works for you.

Actually, especially for the second game, you generally want to have one of every character anyway since there are some secret areas that only certain classes can enter. And quests that only certain classes can do.

#3: Items: Monsters do not drop money in the game, they drop items, which you sell for money and which opens up store shop items. This includes: weapons, armour, healing items... everything... EVERYTHING. Including the all important WARP WIRE!!

I'm not going to lie to you Hanyou, the game is brutal. And you must not be afraid to play around with teams and classes ^_^. And do not be afraid to ask us here on the forum. :3 We know all. *Points over at Scy* Hell, he's even the one that wrote up most of the content on GFaqs, the others just collected it up and put their names on it. It might not be a game for you if you are someone who likes things uncomplicated and fast. :( But I really do hope you give the game another shot. Don't be afraid to ask for help. There is not stupid question and then you always have me you can ask in PM.[/spoiler]

[] - [] - [] - []

Kinokokao
ItL Moderator

Postby Kinokokao » Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:08 pm

Any team for the early floors/early player must include a Paladin. Those tanks are necessary to get through the first part of the labyrinth IMO.

Also, three across the front gives you a decent defense boost for the early floor, so that might help.

KKINO I FUKKIN LOVE YOU MAN

Sampson
Literary Voyeur

Postby Sampson » Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:20 pm

Using Scy's Super Special Awesome Team (which doesn't include a Protector), I didn't run into any problems. Of course, I already knew what I was doing.

But the first stratum in EOII is probably the hardest (well, maybe second to the sixth, but that's postgame and meant to be difficult even at level 70); it's hard to get money, you have bad equipment, and there are miniboss-ish enemies on each floor. And if it's your first time playing (especially if it's your first EO game), you won't know what you're doing.

Vapour Trail
Manticor

Postby Vapour Trail » Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:58 pm

I don't think you need a paladin for any stratum, except maybe the sixth. And maybe not even that one. Before I stopped my current playthrough, I was leveling my farming party of four rangers and one medic and I had no problems whatsoever. And rangers are pretty crappy, you know.

Also I disagree that the first stratum is hard. Its just cheap, in that if an enemy focus fires one one person they'll prolly die and you won't be able to do shit about it. That's not genuine difficulty, in my opinion.

Sampson
Literary Voyeur

Postby Sampson » Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:05 pm

Hanyou
Killclaw

Postby Hanyou » Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:07 pm

noodles
ItL Moderator

Postby noodles » Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:46 pm

Kimiko
Manticor

Postby Kimiko » Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:55 pm

Kimiko

Rewatching: Beast Player Erin

Maxine MagicFox
ItL Webmaster

Postby Maxine MagicFox » Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:06 pm

[] - [] - [] - []

43 posts

Return to “Discussion Section”