What anime are you currently watching?

Chat about anything and everything non-Etrian related!

Moderator: ItL Moderators

PLA
Manticor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: What anime are you currently watching?

Postby PLA » Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:45 am

Oh, no, Cardcaptor Sakura continues. Will Clamp be able to resist getting Tsubasa all over everything?
"Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons!"

"I'm so happy with my evil plan; goodbye to music, gym and art
Soon I'll have the perfect school, where fun and excitement never start"

Wagahaiwa neko de aru.

PLA
Manticor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby PLA » Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:34 pm

OK, I'm on board for the next arc of Dragon Ball Super. Fuck.

https://twitter.com/SeclusiveBlue/statu ... 3227174913

Wagahaiwa neko de aru.

PLA
Manticor

Postby PLA » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:15 pm

Nobody told me that the Clear Card arc is getting animated!

Wagahaiwa neko de aru.

noodles
ItL Moderator

Postby noodles » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:54 pm

I watched Mononoke (and the story arc from Ayakashi it spun off of [also i don't mean Princess Mononoke])

really really good, changed a lot of fiction ive been writing for the better.

SteelCrow
Fenrir

Postby SteelCrow » Sun Oct 15, 2017 3:45 am

Just finished watching episode 2 of Recovery of an MMO Junkie, it was super amazing it may enter into my favorite anime shows depending on how it goes on this is only episode 2 and its a new anime so I can't watch it all at once forgive my grammar I'm a little excited.

Hanyou
Killclaw

Postby Hanyou » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:03 am

Forgive the long post. It's been an interesting year for me in terms of anime, and I have a lot of random ideas to spout out. I don't expect anyone to read it, but I have an urge to write about it now that I see this thread.

I tallied up the number of anime I've watched in my lifetime earlier this year and realized I'd only seen something like 15 shows. I hadn't even finished all of them. Once upon a time, I was enthusiastic about anime, but I realized I'd never seen very much of it.

So actually buckling down and deciding to watch some this year made me extremely nostalgic. And because I'm revisiting fundamentals, absolute basics, I've seen some phenomenal stuff.

On the older side, there's the 90s Berserk. My kind of show. The only manga I've ever finished was Chobits (probably half a lifetime ago), but I'm tempted to check out the manga for this one. I've just started Fist of the North Star to fill the void, and I can tell I'm in for a ride.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, there's the mostly uplifting Toradora and K-On. I love these shows. There's something to be said for a celebration of cuteness, goodness, and joy. I believe that there just isn't enough beauty and sincerity left in popular media--perhaps I'm not looking in the right place, but I see innocence, good/evil narratives, etc. dismissed offhand as inherently naive. These ideas are then "deconstructed" and slandered. Well, the older I get, the more I treasure sappy, naive storytelling, I guess. I love Mayberry from the Andy Griffith show. I also love classic architecture and art, stuff either from antiquity (sort of) or the renaissance that tries to capture the ideal in some way. I love John Milton's beautiful, poetic writing and wonder, if someone wrote something like Paradise Lost today, how many winks, nods, and sarcasm it would have(not that it didn't have its own winks and nods, perhaps, but it still strikes me as more sincere). All of these things might not seem to have much in common, but to me they do, if only because they've fallen out of favor, replaced with cynicism and darkness. Just my opinion, of course, based on limited experience, and it may be an unusual way of seeing these things.

Cuteness has a place in all this as well, I think.

I know people criticize K-On in particular for being cliche, or perhaps too saccharine, but I love it to death because it's a bit of a wonder to find something so unabashedly inoffensive and shamelessly idealistic, even to the point of occasional stupidity. Keep in mind, I haven't watched much anime, really, so most of these things are new to me. Toradora is perhaps less insanely cute, but no less good.

Your Lie in April might be the first show to make me cry. Multiple times.

I just love the sincerity of these shows. Your Lie in April has serious problems--it's extremely inconsistent, and about half the show is boring--but it really does feel sincere. I'm not sure I fully realized television shows like this existed.

I've also watched Now and Then, Here and There, Psycho-Pass, Fullmetal Alchemist:Brotherhood, Season 1 of Boku no Hero Academia, Erased, Neon Genesis Evangelion (finally finished it after starting it like 10 years ago), One Punch Man, Steins;Gate, and The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. I either like or love all these shows.

I was significantly less impressed with Utawarerumono, but it wasn't so disappointing that I hated it, I just thought it was boring. Still wasn't a waste of my time.

I feel like a whole world of entertainment is opening up to me, and I'm in love with the worlds, characters, and stories I've discovered.

Right now, as previously stated, I'm in the middle of Fist of the North Star, Ouran High School Host Club, and K-On!! (just finished the first season so far). God help me, I can't get enough of this shit. It'll keep going.

PLA
Manticor

Postby PLA » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:39 pm

People keep telling me to watch Legend of Galactic Heroes, so I should get around to that, some time.

Wagahaiwa neko de aru.

Archaic Sage
ItL Webmaster

Postby Archaic Sage » Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:26 pm

Hanyou, watch Kanon 2006 for a show that'll make you cry. It's been 11 years and I still remember watching my other half cry at multiple episodes. For reasonably current Yuri On Ice is great. I'm watching it for the second time.

For older anime, try Serial Experiments Lain, Haibene Renmei, Azumanga Daioh, Lucky Star, Haruhi, Perfect Blue (film) and of course Tenchi Muyo or Tenchi Universe for a wide range of very good older anime.

[ | | | | ]

Hanyou
Killclaw

Postby Hanyou » Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:09 pm

Thanks for the suggestions!

Haruhi's great! The show was a bit of a slog at times but the movie made up for it. I can't believe I sat through all of the Endless Eight, but I felt like the show deserved that level of attention .

I've started and stopped Azumanga Daioh multiple times. For some reason, I have trouble getting past something like five episodes. It's perfectly fine, so I don't know why that happens. That said, it has a pleasant aesthetic and good opening/ending themes that are regulars on my playlist. I'll try it again.

Lucky Star, on the other hand...I've avoided watching that show for years because something completely intangible creeps me out about the few images and gifs I've seen from the show. I know K-On is considered part of the same "movement," if you can call it that, in anime, but it always had a sense of wholesomeness about it. Lucky Star looks like it's for a different intended audience and I just have to assume the childlike characters aren't particularly wholesome. But I'm realizing now that I'm basing this on nothing but a gut feeling. Let me know if I'm on the wrong track.

Perfect Blue is a movie I've been intending to watch for some time. Might get on that today, actually.

Not familiar with the other ones but I'll look into them. Again, thanks!

PLA
Manticor

Postby PLA » Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:24 pm

"Wholesome" is the wrong word for Konata.

Wagahaiwa neko de aru.

Hanyou
Killclaw

Postby Hanyou » Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:45 pm

Archaic Sage
ItL Webmaster

Postby Archaic Sage » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:38 am

Kotana isn't really crude or anti-wholesome, it's more just like that inappropriate friend who pushes the boundaries every now and again and sometimes says something you either don't understand or just shake your head at.

[ | | | | ]

PLA
Manticor

Postby PLA » Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:37 pm

I don't remember Lucky Star being any worse than Suzumiya Haruhi.

Wagahaiwa neko de aru.

noodles
ItL Moderator

Postby noodles » Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:13 am

as a character yeah basically

Archaic Sage
ItL Webmaster

Postby Archaic Sage » Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:34 pm

As a show, IMO, Lucky Star beats Haruhi.

[ | | | | ]

2720 posts

Return to “Discussion Section”