What anime are you currently watching?

Chat about anything and everything non-Etrian related!

Moderator: ItL Moderators

2720 posts
sponge7325
Killclaw
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: What anime are you currently watching?

Postby sponge7325 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 7:48 pm

Hurrah for updates:

I've only watched Kill La Kill, Moonphase, and Noragami so far. I have the time to watch the others, but I feel like finishing at least one of these first before I jump into Psycho-Pass and Blue Exorcist.

Kill La Kill: Was not exactly what I expected it to be. Regardless, I found it actually rather good, and I'm at episode five or six so far. I don't feel like I can say much about this that hasn't been said before, I'll just say that I'd recommend it to people who aren't completely anti-fanservice.

Moonphase: Not very far in this one yet, I'm at episode 3 or something. So far, it's not TOO bad, but I don't feel like I'm far enough into it to actually give it to give any real opinions on it yet. So I'll come back to this one...

Noragami: EASILY MY FAVORITE OF THE THREE. That's not to say the other two are bad, but this is just so goooooood. Well, at least I think so. I'm halfway through the first (and currently only) season, and I think that I can safely say that it is pretty dang amazing. The only thing I don't really like too much about it is that one (maybe two) of the characters act kinda situationally unaware of general things going on (I know that there kind of has to be these kinds of characters, but I just don't really like it when a character does something stupid even though it's pretty obvious to the viewer that that thing that happens is going to be stupid. But it's still really good though. The main character is cool. :P

Psycho-Pass and Blue Exorcist (and probably more on Moonphase) shall be posted eventually! Now go watch Noragami!
Go, Skyseek Tharsis, Armoroad, and Lagaard Divisions! + Asgarla Division!

Apolloncrash
Killclaw
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Apolloncrash » Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:10 pm

Way back in the day I used to watch Bleach. I ended up not being able to put up with its descending quality anymore and dropped it, but at some point I decided that when it was all out over here I would buy it and see it through to the end.

A little while ago Madman released these behemoths:

I couldn't resist, so I bought them and stuck them on a shelf, planning to just forget about them until the other one came out. However, during the worst parts of my recent run in with illness, completely unable to game, I started watching them.

I forgot how great Bleach is early on. The world is interesting, the characters likable, the music is absolutely spectacular (Bleach OST #1 is one of my favourite CDs I own) and it is consistently quite funny (funnier than most comedy anime actually). I even love little things like the episode title cards.

One thing that is interesting is the subs for D-Tecnolife (the second OP). I've seen the english part just before the final line interpreted quite a few different ways before (it is pretty hard to hear clearly), such as "You and me. Two have spoken." or "You only... to have spoken". However the official subs have it as "Who are we to pass through you?". I have rewound and relistened to it over and over again, but I just cannot hear anything even close to that. It's odd that, even though fansubbers cannot seem to agree with each other (or even themselves, as I have seen the same group change their mind) about what is said, their interpretations seem to all be kind of similar, however none of them are even close to the official subs.

Which brings me to my next point, the official English script. These subs are terrible. They are way, way too liberal with the translation for my tastes, but I admit that that is a subjective thing. However, beyond that they are just very unprofessional.

Firstly, they are very inconsistent. With honorifics, sometimes they will attempt to translate them but other times they leave them as is (or just ignore them entirely). They seem to be completely random with nicknames as well. For example, when people say "Chad", they sometimes sub it as "Chad", but often use "Sado". The reverse holds true as well. The same problem crops up with name order as well, albeit less frequently.

Secondly, there is quite a bit of dialogue that they just ignore. Almost anytime that more than one set of dialogue going on at once they just pick the one that is in focus the most and ignore the rest. That's just plain bad.

Thirdly, with terminology (things like Zanpakutō and Konsō) it seems to be completely arbitrary which terms they localised and which they left. In some cases they even change their minds. For the first disc or so they were calling Pluses "Wholes" for some dumb reason, but then stopped.

Finally, they obviously didn't proofread anything as there are regular spelling/grammar mistakes and missed words. Some of the lines are only on the screen for a split second (and not for good reason). That's all I need to read it but I know for a fact that for many people that is not the case.

Now, I cannot condone piracy, but these subs are so poorly done that if anyone wanted to get into this series I would recommend buying the DVDs and then watching fansubs. I can't believe I said that but... that's how it is.
Don't Die.

MrTwinklehead
Diabolix

Postby MrTwinklehead » Sat Sep 13, 2014 5:03 pm

Just watched episode 42 of the Pokémon XY series and I can't help but be excited that Serena finds battling thrilling and I really hope this hints at her becoming a fully capable battler (with of course Performer becoming her main thing) one day. I'm super excited for it to happen, Serena really needs to step up her game (I already really like her, but I want her to get more awesome).
- [] - [] - [] - [] -

Archaic Sage
ItL Webmaster

Postby Archaic Sage » Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:27 pm

Watching tons of anime at the moment, TV has a Crunchyroll app and it makes it much more convenient than the Xbox.

Denki-Ga and Wolf Girl are good at the moment. Parasyte looks good too.

[ | | | | ]

MrTwinklehead
Diabolix

Postby MrTwinklehead » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:51 pm

I watched the first episode, which was a 1 hour special, of the Ronja the Robber's Daughter anime. So far, I'm all in to continue watching it. Then again, the first episode went up to right before the point where Ronja goes into the forest for the first time (aka when shit gets fucked up), so the first episode has mostly been cutesy and all. Also, Lovis got Pippi Longstocking hairdo.

Though I can't help but feel bothered that I find Mattis really god damn handsome now since I grew up with the live action one as a kid.
- [] - [] - [] - [] -

Kimiko
Manticor

Postby Kimiko » Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:02 am

I'll have to check it out sometime. I grew up with the book, but I've seen the movie too. As I recall, it left out some bits? I didn't really like how it played up Ronja and Birk's relationship. When I read the book they were just friends, but the movie gave it romantic overtones. Otherwise it was pretty good I think. I wonder if the anime will have the rambunctious song&dance :P
Kimiko

Rewatching: Beast Player Erin

MrTwinklehead
Diabolix

Postby MrTwinklehead » Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:58 pm

Pokémon XY Special: Mega Evolution Act II: Lysandre's Butt

(They went from Mairin's face to Lysandre's butt. Great stuff, yo.)

Anyway, this makes me so much more excited for ORAS. ...even though I have to wait one more week. orz

Otherwise, I watched the first episode of Psycho-Pass 2, I couldn't help but giggle and grin from ear to ear at the end. I'm getting excited for this!
- [] - [] - [] - [] -

Archaic Sage
ItL Webmaster

Postby Archaic Sage » Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:48 pm

Parasyte is really good, really, really good. Loving it.

[ | | | | ]

MrTwinklehead
Diabolix

Postby MrTwinklehead » Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:08 pm

Watched episode 11 of Psycho-Pass 2 and... Is this the end of PP2? But I want mooooore~ Sure, the story at hand is at its end, but I really just wanted more. Every episode had me craving for more, wanting to know what happens next, but now it's all over? I know there's a movie coming up, but I want more PP now!

Also watched 11 episodes of Sanzoku no Musume Ronja. Still having fun watching it, even though Ronja's habit of speaking out loud to herself is something I don't particularily enjoy. Why is that a thing? I also feel like this show might end soon. Like... maybe not 13 episodes, but probably something closer to 16.

And Pokémon XY, still enjoying, still having feels about Serena, especially next episode where she's gonna race her mother. I also look forward to the XY movie next year, that despite being an XY movie apparently features Primal Groudon, Primal Kyogre and Mega Rayquaza (and based on the tidbits, even Hoopa). Though I'm also still looking forward to the Diancie movie. Sadly I missed the event to get her in-game, but oh well.
- [] - [] - [] - [] -

PLA
Manticor

Postby PLA » Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:48 pm

^ I didn't enjoy Diebuster much, in part because it was less Top o Nerae! than expected, but I accept it in retrospect.
"Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons!"

"I'm so happy with my evil plan; goodbye to music, gym and art
Soon I'll have the perfect school, where fun and excitement never start"

Wagahaiwa neko de aru.

Weeaboolits
Manticor

Postby Weeaboolits » Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:14 pm

Been watchin Log Horizon and Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works.

MrTwinklehead
Diabolix

Postby MrTwinklehead » Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:17 pm

Just gonna update with what I'm watching:

Series that have gone on for a while:
- Pokémon XY
- Sanzoku no Musume Ronja

New series:
- Binan Koko Chikyu Bouei-bu LOVE!
- Assassination Classroom
- Death Parade

Out of the new series, Death Parade is without a doubt my favorite of them. Boueibu is mostly for laughs, because I mean, magical boy gag shenaniganz. AssClass is mainly because I just saw Koro Sensei and decided to watch the series solely for him lol.

Also, Ash got a Goomy (who suffered a great war what) and based on the new opening, it will eventually become a Goodra.
- [] - [] - [] - [] -

Archaic Sage
ItL Webmaster

Postby Archaic Sage » Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:15 pm

Just watched Giovanni's Island - great, but so sad :(.

[ | | | | ]

Archaic Sage
ItL Webmaster

Postby Archaic Sage » Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:44 am

Watched Perfect Blue and Paprika for the first time at the weekend. Perfect Blue was especially awesome.

[ | | | | ]

noodles
ItL Moderator

Postby noodles » Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:18 am

I watched Kara no Kyoukai, and then I finished all of it, and now I'm really sad

2720 posts

Return to “Discussion Section”