PnP RPG Thread

Chat about anything and everything non-Etrian related!

Moderator: ItL Moderators

774 posts
noodles
ItL Moderator

Re: PnP RPG Thread

Postby noodles » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:28 pm

+9 dex and immunity to most spells meant it was impossible to hit basically (since we didnt have our arcane caster around to use magic missile)

plus there was a terrified little girl it was siphoning energy from so it had fast healing when we did manage to hit it

we basically killed it because it rolled two ones and frazzled itself, losing its dex bonus, and our rogue rolled a crit with a pistol, which is like x4 damage....plus exploding dice.....plus bullets we then discovered were electrified....boom

Lethen
Ragelope
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Lethen » Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:37 pm

I love being chaotic evil, especially in a pvp situation, be it in a pen and paper game, or in a roleplay enforced mud. I feel like all other alignments are just restrictive, does that mean I'm crazy?

noodles
ItL Moderator

Postby noodles » Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:05 pm

would you be chaotic evil irl if you knew you wouldnt be arrested

Lethen
Ragelope
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Lethen » Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:11 am

hmm if it's evil and against the law, you'd definitely be chaotic evil, regardless if you were caught committing the crime or otherwise.

Reynard-Miri
Manticor

Postby Reynard-Miri » Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:30 am

It's more nuanced than that. Take the stereotypical mafia boss, for example. Lawful evil, but definitely against the law.

Dangerus
Manticor

Postby Dangerus » Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:51 am

Drathi
Manticor

Postby Drathi » Thu Jul 04, 2013 2:52 am

Then if you throw in the tendencies, alignments get even more muddled. XD Though, I like them because it gives some flexibility to alignments as well.

Wolkenritter
Manticor

Postby Wolkenritter » Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:48 am

Lethen
Ragelope

Postby Lethen » Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:20 am

I wish my friends would agree with you. they keep ranting to me about how neutrals seek balance, blah blah. Admittedly I've always found it easier to pick a side between good or evil, than just to remain neutral. I'm not one of those guys who runs around in every game trying to kill every thing just to be evil. but when it comes to fighting, looting corpses for gear, destroying gear, and just basic mayham, nothing's better than chaotic evil. Some of my friends have discussed the possibilities of lawful evil only following laws within territories that have laws and basically can be chaotic evil outside of those territories. I always thought that was a neat idea.

Reynard-Miri
Manticor

Postby Reynard-Miri » Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:29 am

I realize that I'm going into dangerous territory here, but I think Jack Sparrow is a really good example of Chaotic Neutral. He's an okay chap, but generally speaking won't go out his way to help people.

Wolkenritter
Manticor

Postby Wolkenritter » Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:50 am

Reynard-Miri
Manticor

Postby Reynard-Miri » Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:15 am

PLA
Manticor

Postby PLA » Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:59 am

While there's also some idiom, shift and connotation at play in each particular combination, Lawful/Neutral/Chaotic and Evil/Neutral/Good are generally two separate axes.

Rules Y/N/NA?
Jerk Y/N/NA?

The Evil Empire is often governed with ironclad regulations and strict enforcement. By a bunch of jerks, and at least one super-jerk.
"Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons!"

"I'm so happy with my evil plan; goodbye to music, gym and art
Soon I'll have the perfect school, where fun and excitement never start"

Wagahaiwa neko de aru.

Reynard-Miri
Manticor

Postby Reynard-Miri » Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:29 pm

Ha, well said, PLA.

Drathi
Manticor

Postby Drathi » Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:16 am

I should bargain like this more often, during hostage situations. XD Thank God my ranger had amazing charisma, or this would have sucked hard.

The story:

Our party sent me and our rogue to try to find a hidden entrance to this keep taken over by bandits. I failed my sneak check, and my rogue, the faithful friend that he was returned to try and save me. We failed and were taken hostage to lure out our friends. Our weapons were taken from us, but on our way to our cell, I tried to bargain with the bandits.

"You can keep my arrows and quiver, but please, can have my bow?"
"No."
"Please, I just want to hold it..."

While we're walking back, our party thinks we're taking too long and is on their way to check on our sorry asses. XD It's night, so only our Dwarf was able to spot what was going on.

It goes back to the rogue and I and the DM let's me try to coerce the bandits into giving me my bow. I succeed, only because hey, it's only a bow. What can I do without arrows? Our rogue kept quiet the whole time, because he had no way to get his stuff back. When the bandits went ahead of us, I made my rogue crouch and snuck up on their leader. My DM figured since my ranger had Archery as his combat style, it was a given I could use my bow for many things.

I basically did that sneak attack Lara Croft does with the bow, in the new game. XD However, this prompted two attacks of opportunity--one from each guy on my sides. They nearly kill me and my rogue-buddy runs to our party which just got in sight.

I'm pretty much at 1 HP, now. xD Lucky, yes, but then they knocked me out and stuck a dagger in my back. My ranger is now paraplegic.

So, now, our group is looking for somebody to fix my fucked spine. XD Our Half-Orc is now Hodor, by the way. He is a formidable mount.

774 posts

Return to “Discussion Section”