PnP RPG Thread

Chat about anything and everything non-Etrian related!

Moderator: ItL Moderators

774 posts
zamisk
ItL Moderator

Re: PnP RPG Thread

Postby zamisk » Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:12 pm

:o

"Everyone else is idiots, Zamisk. And you am idiots. And I are idiots."
-PLA

zamisk
ItL Moderator

Postby zamisk » Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:22 am

I'm about to start up a new campaign, seeing as my group and I haven't played in months. It's meant to be a one-off reading week session that could continue if we find time. In the first session, the existing group of heroes will be looking for new members, the players. They will be sent to a short dungeon as a test, but when they return, the old heroes will have all been apparently murdered in ways specific to weaknesses only known by each other. It will be implied that most of them have ways of returning in some form, the android can rebuild himself over time, the immortal highlander-type just needs his head reattached, and my personal favourite, the bard who won a rock-off challenge with the devil's soul returns. They'll have to figure out who killed the others, but various rumors from other NPC's will make that difficult, before the android is outed to be the villain and they fight him and become the new hero group of the land.

Before the existing group of heroes, I'm going to establish that there was one even greater hero whose shoes the other heroes had to fill before the players came along. I'm hoping if the adventures continue, the players will meet him as an old man in a cave like Billy from Adventure Time. He's basically my Skyrim character that my friends are all familiar with, Puhn'Chi the Orc, who only uses his fists. In the first session, they are going to find a statue of him with a ballad I wrote to set up how awesome he was. It's a little rough, but here is that Ballad of Puhn'Chi:

Thought someone might enjoy this here.

Edit: Syllable count goes 11/12/11/11 and the rhyme scheme is 1122/3322/4422/5522/1122, but some of it doesn't roll off the tongue quite right. Either way, I'm probably going to leave it like this as it took me way too long.

-PLA

Zypose
Golem
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Zypose » Wed Feb 18, 2015 1:28 am

You guys are so lucky. i've wanted to do PnP Rpg's for a while now, but seince i live in the middle of nowhere, i can't. wish i could though, it seems just like my style of thing.
I used to be a Fighter like you, but then I took a phoot to the leg

zamisk
ItL Moderator

Postby zamisk » Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:51 am

If your problem is lack of a group, I've found that if you show your friends the Community episodes about D&D, you'd be surprised how many of them want to try it. That's what worked for me, although most of my friends were either drama geeks or avid video game fans, so I guess it makes sense why they wanted to try it. Still, it got my two super-jocky room mates to play it last year, and they loved it too. After that, pick up the Pathfinder beginner box, which is pretty cheap, and run them through the introductory session. The beginner's box makes even DMing really easy, but you can always watch tutorials and groups playing on Youtube to better understand the gameplay. (And there are plenty of people here who could help out with any questions you might have.) After your friends have played fore a while, you can get one of them to DM if you want the chance to play.

Unless your only problem is distance, not a lack of interest from friends. In which case, maybe have people come to your place for "just one" session in hopes they like it enough to keep coming back?

-PLA

Kimiko
Manticor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Kimiko » Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:25 am

I know some people who play PnP RPGs online through Skype or something and have a lot of fun with it, so even distance isn't an obstacle really.
Kimiko

Rewatching: Beast Player Erin

Zypose
Golem

Postby Zypose » Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:04 pm

See, my problem is the fact that 1. i have no access to buying the proper materials. while secondary, all of my close friends live a long way away, unable to meet outside of school. i know they'd be interested in it, but i have no way of bringing us together, due to their families not wanting to spend gas money when they don't need to. and the third and most trivial thing, i only have about 3 hours on a normal day to do this kind of thing, not counting days where things are different. i also have no access to skype or other things similar to it, unless it could be an in browser deal. Having a family shared computer will do that.

noodles
ItL Moderator

Postby noodles » Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:45 am

roll20 is in-browser. ive also run a game in roll20 for this forum before

Zypose
Golem

Postby Zypose » Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:15 am

Ah, i'll have to look into that then. Alas, i can only use text chat, but if that is avaliable, all i need to do is learn how to play.

Zypose
Golem

Postby Zypose » Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:14 am

by that i mean i need to learn the rules and gameplay basics, but once i learn that, i just need to find a group to try it out for the first time.

noodles
ItL Moderator

Postby noodles » Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:25 am

when we did it before it was all in the text bar on the side of the website, and PMs on here if we needed to say something private. be advised that it can take hours though, if thats an issue on your computer

Zypose
Golem

Postby Zypose » Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:44 pm

removing my previous message, i do have time to do it. usually.

Zypose
Golem

Postby Zypose » Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:11 pm

Alright, i've been having fun with my cousin and my brother doing a slapped together Game. we aren't following any rules per say, but we're making things up as we go. we've had a lot of fun. i made up a race for myself cause i couldnt decide an already made one, so did my cousin, and my brother made a gnome person. My character is a rogue, my cousin is an archer, and my brother is a mage. we're not undertaking anything crazy, just basic adventuring that might evolve into something later. rolls have been hilarius, specificly involving my character rolling 1's and accidentially throwing his daggers (into my brother's gnomes hands). and yes i know it's bad to DM and play at the same time but they wouldn't get anything done without my character leading. It's all been so fun and i hope to make it more solid later.

noodles
ItL Moderator

Postby noodles » Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:37 am

I'm glad you're enjoying it. My favorite hobby.

If you want to be able to play without running it, I'm still available to run a one-off game of Pathfinder on roll20. It would be a beginner thing so you don't need to know the rules.

Zypose
Golem

Postby Zypose » Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:15 am

That would be great actually. i've been trying to find information about pathfinder specificly, in hopes i can find it online without having to pay for it. i'd love to do one with you whenever.

noodles
ItL Moderator

Postby noodles » Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:59 am

yeah, Pathfinder is all open-source, so all the core rules and class information and stuff are available for free online. the best website for it is probably http://www.d20pfsrd.com/ just be wary if it says it's 3rd party or fan-created content

let me know what time you're generally available and i'll see if i can gather some people. do you have skype or anything?

774 posts

Return to “Discussion Section”