Need Help Finding (Better) Sprites!

Chat about anything and everything non-Etrian related!

Moderator: ItL Moderators

FomeRubr555
Bloodant
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Need Help Finding (Better) Sprites!

Postby FomeRubr555 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:50 am

Hmm...well, the forum says everything non-Etrian related, but this seems like the best place to ask this, since it isn't specifically limited to any one game in the series...

I mentioned something about cutting out EO sprites in the Coding Discussion thread. The question is, where to find them... Now, I found this nice website that already has all the EO1 sprites ripped straight from the game (with transparency already taken care of, I think).

So, cool, that's all taken care of. ...Or is it?

There's two problems with this. One, the very right edge is cut off from every sprite where it would normally cut off in the game's window. Two, they're small. Compare these Hexer sprites I found:

[spoiler]

Left: Picture taken directly from the sprite sheet. On the black background, you can even notice the very minor blue bits around her outline.
Right: Picture I found randomly from google image search, which has neither problem of the game-ripped sprite.[/spoiler]

So, since I found this random picture on Google (among several others), it led me to wonder...where are other websites getting these high quality pictures from? It's not from the EO website, and they're not ripped from the game... I even tried looking at EO wallpapers (specifically for Hexer), and they can't even be ripped from there since there's a big, white, fancy mark covering over several characters' legs (if not all of them). If I had a good scanner, I'd just scan them all from my EO3 preorder artbook, but even then that wouldn't cover the alt colors... So if anyone could help me find a source for all of these (or at least from one game), I would be grateful. If all else fails we can just try to "collect" all of them one at a time, but I don't think google image search will find some of the less popular characters...

noodles
ItL Moderator

Postby noodles » Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:15 am

Well the difference with your comparison picture is that one is the sprite and the other is just the artwork.

Maxine MagicFox
ItL Webmaster

Postby Maxine MagicFox » Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:59 am

Gaming artwork is supplied to official gaming network websites as part of the marketing package. Not all art is always supplied, but this is usually where sites like IGN get their materials.

For the images displayed on Nyleveia, since they are the only ones I have seen with that set of high quality images, I do not doubt that the guy probably pulled some strings since it sounded to me like he had some personal connection with Famitsu or someone on the Atlus team itself. I can only imagine. I really don't know. I only have a mediocre PR connection with ATLUS USA which means I can get SOME stuff but even for EO3 they only sent out videos, screens, and stuff they released to you fans.

For the answer to your question, though, since we are discussing the project you promised me:

http://sq3.atlusnet.jp/character/index.html

Every character listed. Simply click on the portraits and select the "Y" option. Just take a snapshot, crop, and get to work. :(

[] - [] - [] - []

Maxine MagicFox
ItL Webmaster

Postby Maxine MagicFox » Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:01 am

I sometimes wonder if I should use my school's flash program and see if I can't hack into the flash program and lift the images off that in some way. I don't know flash and I don't even know if that's possible. :(

[] - [] - [] - []

FomeRubr555
Bloodant
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby FomeRubr555 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:13 am

Ah, I have a flash decompiler that can rip some stuff (I've used it to steal music before). I should try that out when I'm at it...

But anyway, I realize the difference between game sprites and artwork. It's just that I'm about 6 hours past my bedtime so my wording comes out misleading. The point is I wanted a link to more official art if anyone has it.
EO1: P R | A H M
EO2: P R | G H M
EO3: H/N Y/B S/B | Z/A P/M
EO4: I/F I/N I/R | S/N A/M

zamisk
ItL Moderator

Postby zamisk » Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:16 am

"Everyone else is idiots, Zamisk. And you am idiots. And I are idiots."
-PLA

FomeRubr555
Bloodant

Postby FomeRubr555 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:17 am

zamisk
ItL Moderator

Postby zamisk » Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:19 am

"Everyone else is idiots, Zamisk. And you am idiots. And I are idiots."
-PLA

FomeRubr555
Bloodant

Postby FomeRubr555 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:21 am

ZetaBladeX13
ItL Moderator

Postby ZetaBladeX13 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:41 am

noodles
ItL Moderator

Postby noodles » Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:43 am

negzee
ItL's resident princess

Postby negzee » Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:02 am

iTunes, mainly.

On Windows (*gasp* I know right?) I use Foobar2000.

noodles
ItL Moderator

Postby noodles » Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:04 am

I've never owned an Apple product so I have no use for iTunes

negzee
ItL's resident princess

Postby negzee » Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:26 am

Last edited by negzee on Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

FomeRubr555
Bloodant

Postby FomeRubr555 » Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:43 am

46 posts

Return to “Discussion Section”