RPG Makers

Chat about anything and everything non-Etrian related!

Moderator: ItL Moderators

Kinokokao
ItL Moderator

Postby Kinokokao » Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:57 pm

I used one that was very rudimentary -- this was over ten years ago, and I had a shitty computer -- I made a basic little game that you could wander around, talk to people, fight monsters in a small "dungeon" I designed. The main characters were me and my friend, and we were at an anime convention, so the convention floor was the "dungeon" and you collected items like pocky, ramune, and ramen to regain health, and the enemies were things like Smelly Guy and Super Nerd. It was just very silly. I had a soundtrack and everything, though, including a couple songs I wrote and made using a digital synthesizer.

The program was freeware, but for the life of me I can't tell you what it is was called or where I got it. It wasn't the actual RPG Maker ones.

No idea what happened to it. It's probably buried somewhere in a folder in my computer.

I also started and never finished a dating sim using a GameMaker program. I did create a very simple little game with it, though. A floating head of Chibi-usa from Sailor Moon bounced around a box, and the game was to click on it and have the head explode. This got you a point. You could turn on and off the music, too. That was about it. I posted it to my website and invited people to beat the high score. I think the ultimate winner had 25,000 points, if I remember correctly.

KKINO I FUKKIN LOVE YOU MAN

Wolkenritter
Manticor

Postby Wolkenritter » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:34 pm

noodles
ItL Moderator

Postby noodles » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:55 am

Riseatrance
Manticor

Postby Riseatrance » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:38 am

See that link in my sig?

it links to a game I'm making using RMVX

check it if you want.

I have had some extensive experience with RMVX and RMXP, I have assisted on some RMXP projects, though not all of them saw to completion. I have rudimentary knowledge of RGSS, and some knowledge of RGSS2. I am more on the writing side of things. If you can inspect SNAAFU ADVENTURE, I did the entire game on my own using free resources on the Internet, amongst other things. SNAAFU ADVENTURE, once I receive feedback from my testers, I will finish it off once and for all and start the drafting process for my next game, SNAAFU ADVENTURE Gaiden ~tears of hydrangea~.

Event-based Scripting vs. RGSS(2) Scripting
Event-based and switch-based scripting is far easier to comprehend that RGSS, and is also much more simplistic and newbie-friendly. I can see the benefit of using solely events to code a game. Some people have done it, and it is not always such a bad final product. However, RGSS opens up a lot of possibilities that cannot be attained necessarily by using events only, for instance:

This is a screenshot from my game, taken from the latest demo release. You can't really achieve something like this using events, at least not to my own knowledge. You have to use the flexibility of scripting to do so. Though it's possible to do an ATB/weighted battle system with side-view using events, it's really tedious and makes your game's memory usage very clunky and eh.

Events should be used right for events, that's it. I think that if you want to get into the more heavy gameplay stuff, use RGSS(2).

EDIT: Saw Wolkenritter's post. He's blatantly wrong when he says you can't use battle backgrounds in VX. YOU CAN, it just requires, whoop-de-doop, RGSS2 scripting! Hell, all the deprecated XP and 2k3 functions can be easily emulated through RGSS2. Please check Pockethouse Wiki, an acquaintance of mine who is an excellent RMVX/XP scripter has made some excellent stuff and hosted it on his Pockethouse Wiki.

EDIT 2:
My current game projects:
茨心 -Thornheart- (jRPG, yuri) || Heaven's Kiss: Fallen Hydrangea (Twine, yuri romance)

(#dota2) I support Team DK! 国土無双 (LaNm), you will be missed...

Follow me on Twitter at !
3DS - 3883:5561:7702 (Please msg me on Twitter/here/Skype if you add me!)
PAD - 201,267,866 (Japanese Servers. Common Leaders: Archangel, Ganesh)

ZetaBladeX13
ItL Moderator

Postby ZetaBladeX13 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:32 pm

beekee
Ogre
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby beekee » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:27 pm

Riseatrance
Manticor

Postby Riseatrance » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:32 am

My current game projects:
茨心 -Thornheart- (jRPG, yuri) || Heaven's Kiss: Fallen Hydrangea (Twine, yuri romance)

(#dota2) I support Team DK! 国土無双 (LaNm), you will be missed...

Follow me on Twitter at !
3DS - 3883:5561:7702 (Please msg me on Twitter/here/Skype if you add me!)
PAD - 201,267,866 (Japanese Servers. Common Leaders: Archangel, Ganesh)

beekee
Ogre
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby beekee » Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:55 pm

Optional Boss
Wyvern

Postby Optional Boss » Sun Feb 06, 2011 5:36 am

I have never had any luck with RPG makers. I remember using one to make a rudimentary demo of a game where a prefixed party moved through the last floor of a dungeon and had a cut scene and fought a boss, but it was really limited.

I also toyed around with one once and tried to make a Golden Girls RPG. System stuff wasn't my obstacle. Do you know how hard it is to modify a generic warrior sprite to look like Estelle Getty?

Book Completion: 66%

beekee
Ogre

Postby beekee » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:30 am

25 posts

Return to “Discussion Section”