Alignment

Chat about anything and everything non-Etrian related!

Moderator: ItL Moderators

What's your alignment?

Lawful Good
4%
Neutral Good
25%
Chaotic Good
25%
Lawful Neutral
14%
True Neutral
21%
Chaotic Neutral
7%
Lawful Evil
4%
Neutral Evil
No votes
Chaotic Evil
No votes

Total votes: 28

Twat
Our Returned Beloved
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Twat » Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:55 am

Mm. I had given it thought, but my reasoning has already been stated:

It would depend on the definition of greater good, as per your upbringing and local grace. Local being a key term. After all; heroes of war on one side of the fence are cruel tyrants on the other. By the residential "greater good", my views, actions and ideology would be considered wrong, destructive or evil, more so because of our Americanized society than whether or not it is truly wrong.

zamisk
ItL Moderator

Postby zamisk » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:28 am

greater good ≠ good

"Everyone else is idiots, Zamisk. And you am idiots. And I are idiots."
-PLA

ZetaBladeX13
ItL Moderator

Postby ZetaBladeX13 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:58 am

Yet another chance to bring up Hot Fuzz XD

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUpbOliTHJY[/youtube]

greycolors
Fenrir
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby greycolors » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:14 am

zamisk
ItL Moderator

Postby zamisk » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:12 pm

"correctly" is relative

Edit: but i do see what you're getting at

-PLA

Skele Von Mann
Manticor

Postby Skele Von Mann » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:11 pm

When you're alone, always remember:

Twat
Our Returned Beloved

Postby Twat » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:23 pm

I encountered another scenario in life that could dictate good VS evil.

In this case: an argument in regards to charity. Dispersing funds to a charity, by common belief, is considered a good act. Though I actually have a very strong stance against giving money to somebody so they can do good for you. To have nothing to say for or against that, would be neutral. But to stand against it, would be considered not good or evil. In such a context, evil is not necessarily your fairy tale-borne cackling dread lord so much as it is impeding against the common ideals of good-will and morality.

On the other side of things. is my beliefs in punishment. Even though I would say I am lawful evil, I have a stance against punishment for wrong-doing or execution for crime, because my own agenda has a different route for these individuals that are extremely different from the common ideology.

SAL
Bloodant

Postby SAL » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:43 pm

Twat
Our Returned Beloved

Postby Twat » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:33 pm

SAL
Bloodant

Postby SAL » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:35 pm

Twat
Our Returned Beloved

Postby Twat » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:11 am

Hard to put a thumb on that when you have those in your own ranks who could feel it is wrong or immoral, but still have a reason for doing it anyway.

zamisk
ItL Moderator

Postby zamisk » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:54 am

Right and wrong and good and evil are all subjective to the individual, which makes it hard to define anyone as "evil" unless they see themselves as evil. Also, even if your actions would be considered evil, it doesn't make you evil. For instance, flint marko in spiderman (the sandman) is robbing banks to pay for his daughter's treatments. He knows that is wrong, the act itself, but he feels it is justified because the healthcare system is corrupt. Also in the declaration of independance is this:

'Governments are instituted among men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, that whenever any form of government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or abolish it, and to institute new government, laying its foundation on such principles, and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their safety and happiness.'

So were I american, I technically have the right to try to take down the government. Wouldn't this be widely considered evil? It depends on how far one would take it, of course, but the president wouldn't walk out of the white house and tell me "s'all yours" because I held up a sign and chanted for a while. And anything more than that would land me in jail. So, it's really hard to define evil for the most part.

-PLA

SAL
Bloodant

Postby SAL » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:26 pm

greycolors
Fenrir

Postby greycolors » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:26 pm

Umm...In general I agree with those sentiments. I still view myself as neutral good, however, because law and order are necessary components of society. Certainly it is justified to oppose a government that is no longer operating in the interest of its people. On the other hand, it is wrong to cry foul and oppose the government any time it fails to work in your favor. Laws will always screw someone over and there isn't really any getting around that with national populations being as large and diverse as they are.

Lets take the sandman example. He had a sick child and the healthcare system isn't helping. That is quite sad and he is justified in trying to find a solution. His solution of robbing banks, however, is a poor decision at best. There are tons of people who are suffering from bad healthcare. If every one of their family members took up arms and began looting local establishments, society would quickly fall apart. Thus, he can still be termed as "bad" in the sense that he is harming local society and order for his personal gain.

negzee
ItL's resident princess

Postby negzee » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:30 am

70 posts

Return to “Discussion Section”