E3 2011 Discussion

Chat about anything and everything non-Etrian related!

Moderator: ItL Moderators

scy
Manticor

Postby scy » Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:15 am

Black_kero
Wyvern

Postby Black_kero » Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:15 am

ZetaBladeX13
ItL Moderator

Postby ZetaBladeX13 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:19 am

SirthOsiris
Manticor

Postby SirthOsiris » Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:03 am

Weeaboolits
Manticor

Postby Weeaboolits » Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:03 am

Etrian Veteran
Manticor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Etrian Veteran » Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:57 am

FC: 3952-7612-1296

scy
Manticor

Postby scy » Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:31 pm

Meh, $250/$300 Vita was pretty shocking, honestly. Everyone expected Vita to be sent out to die due to the price (FIVE HUNDRED NINETY NINE US DOLLARS) based on the materials in it; 5" OLED? Dual touch "screens"? Fairly new GPU and CPU? This priced the same as the 3DS is rather huge, honestly, considering the amount of tech into it. The 3DS is hardly a step up tech wise and is mostly priced to recoup R&D on a feature that Nintendo has already had to take a "never going to really use it" stance on.

I think even my estimates were around the $300/$350 mark based on not loss-leading and cost of components. This basically forces the 3DS to get an early price cut if they want to drive some sales. Well, that and having some software to back it.

Game wise, nothing revealed was a huge shock, really. Halo 4 was the closest since it didn't leak until the morning of the conference but, really, it was semi-expected. I say semi if only because Bungie isn't involved with Halo anymore. That and the announcement of it as a trilogy.

Also, my internet is working at work but not at home. Fuck this shit :( Oh well, Nintendo conference and then I'll have to find the Sony conference to watch later to catch up on it. Or just read, I guess.

Edit: An hour until Nintendo's conference:

(really should edit that to say 1 hour lazy)
Last edited by scy on Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Maxine MagicFox
ItL Webmaster

Postby Maxine MagicFox » Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:21 pm

I'm confident in the prices. I will still wait until the prices drop, obviously, and newer models have been out. But still... $250 is fair and means I will not have to wait TOO long for the price drop down to $150.

[] - [] - [] - []

scy
Manticor

Postby scy » Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:25 pm

I dunno about that. PSP launched at $250 and it took 6 years for the core model to price drop to $150, though there were the two revisions (and the Go fell to sub-$150 before the -3000).

Sampson
Literary Voyeur
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Sampson » Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:39 pm

There are plenty of "that's what she said" jokes to be made about Nintendo console descriptions.

And Luigi's Mansion(s). I am happy because of this.

And...oh, God, the furries are going to have a field day with the superimposing feature with the Pokedex.

ZetaBladeX13
ItL Moderator

Postby ZetaBladeX13 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:54 pm

scy
Manticor

Postby scy » Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:15 pm

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v247/DrForester/The5thNintendoElement.gif[img]

Edit: As a favor to Forester. Even if nobody reads this shit~

So the one thought on everyone's mind leading up to Nintendo's E3 conference: Where the fuck is Skyward Sword and is there a launch Cafe Zelda title? Is your body still ready? Does Iwata still have the bombs?

Really, though, the most important question is can Nintendo get the third-party support they need. Can Nintendo get a better online infrastructure in place. Will we still have the fucking Friend Codes.

Also, stop trolling us on The Last Story and Xenoblade. Toss in Pandora's Tower too because I'm demanding.

There's also the thought that so many titles from last year's E3 _haven't surfaced yet_ Holy shit! So much promised then that hasn't come through. Hell, we just got the 3DS Store to go up.

Without further ado:

I am so angry right now I had to give up my ability to go to E3 this year. HAD MY TICKETS AND EVERYTHING ARGH. DIdn't think Cafe/Wii U was playable this year.

Basically, the Wii U is shaping up exactly as expected. Streams to controller for use with/without the TV. Backwards compatible with Wii titles (?) and all older control methods. It is kind of bulky, though. Basically playing with a mini-iPad as a controller so we'll see how it fits ergonomically.

I love the idea for the asymmetrical gameplay idea. This really CAN change the way multiplayer works. So many game possibilities thanks to this. Even simple things like, say, Madden letting you choose plays from the Wii U controllers versus the screen. No more screen looking, hey.

It's basically what the DS did with the addition of a new screen. Map in hand Etrian Oddysey title? Hell yes.

So ... "meh, meh, mediocre, blah, who the fuck cares, OH SHIT THE CONSOLE REVEAL WE CAME FOR, meh, what we expected, HOLY SHIT GAME REEL WHAT THE FUCK HOW DID YOU GET METRO ON THAT AAAAAA" I think I need to go ly dow...

Still, though, the reel was neat but they're most likely 360/PS3 footage and largely depends on the controls for it (and how it looks still since some of them, Batman Arkham City and Metro for instance, are known for their visuals). Also ... at the earliest, Wii U is Fall 2012, a good 6 months to a YEAR after some of these titles release. What's ... what's the point, you know? Nothing truly new was shown so as grand as some of this looked, it's still back to where we began with ports. But, again, to make this snap judgment 18 months prior to release is a bit premature....

And, really, PS Vita can potentially do this as well since PS3->PSP streaming was done last gen (Lair did it, didn't it?).

Edit: JUST REALIZED NO XENOBLADE ANNOUNCEMENT FUCK YOU.
Last edited by scy on Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Black_kero
Wyvern

Postby Black_kero » Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:23 pm

Nintendo has won E3 this year. The Wii U looks pretty impressive, though it may be a bit gimmicky it has the right gimmicks to set it apart from Sony and Microsoft. The fact that you can draw on it is something I really like and also the whole, change the tv and then continue on the game pad is pretty cool too. It honestly looks like it'll be pretty good. Controller aside, it also has some pretty nice games for it too. Batman, Assassins Creed, Mario, Zelda.

Also, those games for the 3ds... Luigis Mansion 2... Smash bros... My body was not ready.

scy
Manticor

Postby scy » Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:36 pm

Sony >> Nintendo > Microsoft, without dragging in the individual conferences. If we do, Konami > Sony >> Ubisoft's speaker's cocaine addiction > Nintendo = Microsoft and I honestly don't remember what EA did so it's probably there with Nintendo and Microsoft.

Personally, Sony wins it out for me. PSV price is just far more important to me than Wii U promises of late ports and meeting expectations. It's an early reveal and, honestly, nothing that hasn't been seen before at the end of the day. It's heads in the clouds promises just as has been done before and we can go on for days about how this or that will change the industry but it won't be until we see it happen will any of it matter.

Yes, Metro Last Light on a Nintendo console is staggering. So is Batman Arkham City. So is Assassin's Creed. So is Darksiders 2. But it's also 18 months before this console is realized and these titles will be fond memories of a time long past, not something to look forward to with high hopes. I'll have played them all by the time they release.

I have an awesome TV and an awesome computer monitor, swapping down to a 6" screen isn't really something I care about personally. For my position, the ability to go between the two to continue playing is irrelevant. I love the idea, yes, but it's ultimately meaningless to me. I'm focused on what the controller brings to games that I use my big screen for anyway and, really, that's something I can't judge now without sounding loony and tinhatty.

Really, this was a bland E3. There's the part of me that's angry I'm missing the floor demos but, really, I'd be angry at that every year (or just always, I'm always angry). The Wii U is cute but it was nothing but promises and, at the end of the day, promises mean little. And, really, they ultimately showed next to NOTHING new. It really feels more like they just felt like they HAD to announce the Wii U at E3 but weren't ready to do so.

Weeaboolits
Manticor

Postby Weeaboolits » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:11 pm

Nintendo's will be more exciting when these things actually come out, the Wiiu looks so promising though.

61 posts

Return to “Discussion Section”