Gender discussion

Chat about anything and everything non-Etrian related!

Moderator: ItL Moderators

zamisk
ItL Moderator

Re: Future board update

Postby zamisk » Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:05 pm

I re-propose the idea of gender change booths on every corner, so you can pick and choose whenever you want

"Everyone else is idiots, Zamisk. And you am idiots. And I are idiots."
-PLA

Twat
Our Returned Beloved
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Twat » Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:21 pm

Doktor_Q
Manticor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Doktor_Q » Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:29 pm

I'm not even gonna get into the gender corrective stuff, because frankly I have have no where near enough knowledge to make any sort of correct statement. I will state, however, that I feel substantial attachment to the things that are considered "male" about me, and not just because I feel any sort of social pressure to seem "male." I guess?

As to defaulting to he? Well, that's (nominally) the default gender on the internet at large.

In case of implosion, look directly at implosion.

zamisk
ItL Moderator

Postby zamisk » Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:32 pm

*kitchen joke*

-PLA

Doktor_Q
Manticor

Postby Doktor_Q » Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:39 pm

I can think of at least half a dozen kitchen jokes, no less than three of them are not for polite company. You're going to have to be more specific or more suggestive.

zamisk
ItL Moderator

Postby zamisk » Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:46 pm

nope .__.

-PLA

noodles
ItL Moderator

Re: Gender discussion

Postby noodles » Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:47 am

where did this thread come from

uhhh I am what I am and I do what I want, which is be awesome all the time??? I used to feel a lot of painful envy of cute girls but that doesn't really happen anymore. I've gotten comfortable in my own skin I guess, knowing that no matter what I'm always gonna be me. I'm just like, whatever man, I'm just me, why worry about fitting some contrived image

I'm sorry, I got like two hours of sleep, a long time ago

zamisk
ItL Moderator

Postby zamisk » Sun Jul 24, 2011 7:59 am

Noodles isn't a cute girl? Whaaaaaaa?

-PLA

Archaic Sage
ItL Webmaster

Postby Archaic Sage » Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:38 am

If you don't know someone's gender, then it is correct to assume that they are a "he", it stems back hundreds of years to when women weren't important so it was rude to assume that someone be spoken about was not a man. Regardless as to whether or not the feminist movement has revised people's opinion on women in the world, grammatically speaking in English, it's correct to assume someone is a "he" if you are unsure of their gender. Whilst it's not politically correct, there's not an acceptable alternative solution as of yet, after all, it's only been 40/50 years since the feminist movements in the 60s and it took hundreds of years for the "him/he" solution to be found.

In relation to gender on a wider scale, you have a gender. Physical being is far more than just "trivial", it is what we make all our basis of life on, from scientific discoveries right the way through to being "touched by gods", as everything results in a physical reaction.

Gender is as defining as the person allows it to be, you should either be a man, a woman or in rare cases a hermaphrodite. People who are attempting gender realignment are the gender they believe themselves to be. Whilst physically they may still be the other gender, they are attempting to correct this so that their external physical form and mental form are the same. This therefore makes them the gender they feel they should be.

In life gender is important, simply due to the nature of how we reproduce and to say that it's not trivialising our own existence.

[ | | | | ]

Doktor_Q
Manticor

Postby Doktor_Q » Sun Jul 24, 2011 6:22 pm

I agree completely, and you said it a lot better than I could have.

Trifkin
Manticor

Postby Trifkin » Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:02 pm

SirthOsiris
Manticor

Postby SirthOsiris » Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:26 am

That's how I think as well.

I'm male, and I'm attracted to girls. It's who I am, who I choose to be, and I don't see a reason to change it.

Starfe
Manticor

Postby Starfe » Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:54 am

Call me a dinosaur. I'm a male, and I identify that way, and I just have a hard time believing that gender is outmoded. I think a world without gender sounds just as boring and awful as a world without race or ethnicity, or a world without different kinds of curry.

Additional: Everything Archaic Sage said.

Maxine MagicFox
ItL Webmaster

Postby Maxine MagicFox » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:27 am

I think Starfe and Archaic have summed up everything I would probably say.

I'm happy to be female, and I'm content with genders and find them necessary. It irks me sometimes on the internet when I'm unsure what gender a person is, and I do get very defensive when someone guesses my own incorrectly.

On another tangent: I do dislike gender inequality, but only to a point. I dislike the idea that a guy was, for instance, being paid more than me because he strictly was a guy, but in the same breathe I will admit that it depends on the job. Guys are better at certain things than females, and if that has helped him perform better at the job, then by all means - pay him more.

It does piss me off that going to a car garage some guy would attempt to take advantage of my limited knowledge and try to pull something over on me, but at the same time I feel that I myself have a certain obligation to go into such a place with that knowledge so that I wouldn't be taken advantage of.

I feel that gender can sometimes be a convenient shield to hide behind when people do not want to take responsibility for their own inefficiencies.

[] - [] - [] - []

Skele Von Mann
Manticor

Postby Skele Von Mann » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:13 am

I'm good with being a dude. As on equality, I don't particularly care about gender. Then I again, I have no preference on anything, and the type of person to hold the door for everyone.

Still get irked on those double standards though.
When you're alone, always remember:

66 posts

Return to “Discussion Section”