Gender discussion

Chat about anything and everything non-Etrian related!

Moderator: ItL Moderators

Doktor_Q
Manticor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Gender discussion

Postby Doktor_Q » Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:01 pm

Because "they" is still grammatically incorrect. That's pretty much it. And on the internet, on 90% of the sites you will visit, "he" will be accurate. It's like... like... like a metaphor I can't think of that involves assuming a someone in a nearly-homogeneous group is going to be part of the homogeneous part. Or something. Pretend I was more eloquent.

And "shield the ears of children" is a really really dangerous idea. Mostly because it makes it incredibly easy for the group doing the "shielding" to decide anything they don't quite agree with ought to be kept out. Also, we all know how well children deal with things they aren't supposed to know- sex, swear words, books their parents try to keep away from them, etc.

Personally, I figure it's best to just let them see as many sides as possible, and let them choose. If they're gonna hate, they're gonna hate, mind controlling them out of that would be pretty twisted.

In case of implosion, look directly at implosion.

Sampson
Literary Voyeur
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Sampson » Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:11 pm

"He or she" takes up more space than "they" or "he," so when you're trying to get to a certain number of pages in a paper or something, it's the way to go.

Kinokokao
ItL Moderator

Postby Kinokokao » Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:32 pm

I'd rather gave grammatically incorrect than backwards, disrespectful thinking like "and on the internet, on 90% of the sites you will visit, "he" will be accurate" despite the fact that there are females on the internet and it is precisely that type of thinking which promotes sexism on the internet and within internet culture. I know women who reddit, 4chan, gamefaq, WOW, facebook, ITL, whatever -- we exist, we do shit, we're part of the conversation, and we matter.

Defaulting to "he" is what you want to use because you prefer it. Period, end of sentence. Stop trying to justify it with any other explanation, especially ones that involving assuming you are speaking to a man. For decades the "grammatically incorrect" they has been acceptable. Guess who defines grammar use? People. Common usage enables and dictates the rules. They are not unyielding forces of nature dictated to use by the gods on high. They are conventions established by collective usage over the years. They are changeable, and they should change.

KKINO I FUKKIN LOVE YOU MAN

beekee
Ogre

Postby beekee » Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:54 pm

Right. One of the most irrefutable arguments for singular they is its utility, which is what ultimately undergirds "correct" word usage. If people have a use for it, it's going to end up in common parlance, and this = correct.

No one decided what English is, it depends completely on the speakers. Which is why they're called dialects and not simply "wrong."
Last edited by beekee on Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PLA
Manticor

Postby PLA » Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:55 pm

"Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons!"

"I'm so happy with my evil plan; goodbye to music, gym and art
Soon I'll have the perfect school, where fun and excitement never start"

Wagahaiwa neko de aru.

Sampson
Literary Voyeur

Postby Sampson » Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:03 pm

Doktor_Q
Manticor

Postby Doktor_Q » Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:30 pm

If "they" is one day determined to be officially correct in our new english, then I will not object. Also, Kino, I think I hit a landmine. Please don't get really angry at me.

beekee
Ogre

Postby beekee » Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:33 pm

Kinokokao
ItL Moderator

Postby Kinokokao » Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:36 pm

@Doktor_Q

I will murder you and rip out your spine to use as a coat rack.

No, my sincere apologies -- you did hit a nerve. I've been spending too much time at reddit and it's made me bitter and hateful. I think it's actually worse than 4chan, because at least 4chan acknowledges that its the asshole of the internet. reddit thinks highly of itself even when its spewing sexist, vitriolic snobbery.

I need to remember that ITL is the only safe haven on the internet, and behave myself in its holy presence.

KKINO I FUKKIN LOVE YOU MAN

beekee
Ogre

Postby beekee » Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:41 pm

Kimiko
Manticor

Postby Kimiko » Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:45 pm

You're most welcome here, Jubels ^_^
Kimiko

Rewatching: Beast Player Erin

beekee
Ogre

Postby beekee » Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:48 pm

Doktor_Q
Manticor

Postby Doktor_Q » Sun Jul 31, 2011 12:08 am

How does a spine even make a coatrack? Seems impractical.

I've never been to reddit, myself. Been to 4chan a few times, decided they were bastards, moved further away. Truth be told I've still got some knee-jerk reactions to feminism, mostly because I've met the extreme, blunt end of that stick (I.E. perfect women are superior to stupid men) a couple times.

Equality is an awesome idea, but most attempts to enforce it seem to end up discriminating the other direction, eventually. And two wrongs don't make a right. Three do, but only technically, and honestly who does that?

zamisk
ItL Moderator

Postby zamisk » Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:48 am

"Everyone else is idiots, Zamisk. And you am idiots. And I are idiots."
-PLA

Sampson
Literary Voyeur

Postby Sampson » Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:53 am

I think everything related to gender can be explained through aliens.

66 posts

Return to “Discussion Section”