Gender discussion

Chat about anything and everything non-Etrian related!

Moderator: ItL Moderators

Doktor_Q
Manticor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Gender discussion

Postby Doktor_Q » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:09 pm

Holding the door for everyone is just polite. And double standards irritate me. About the only thing you can reasonable discriminate based on gender is pregnancy.

Also, if someone wants to be androgynous, I don't see a problem with that.

In case of implosion, look directly at implosion.

beekee
Ogre
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Future board update

Postby beekee » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:48 pm

beekee
Ogre

Postby beekee » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:53 pm

Trifkin
Manticor

Postby Trifkin » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:56 pm

As for gender-neutral pronouns, you could always try adopting 'zie.'

beekee
Ogre

Postby beekee » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:02 pm

Where is zie?
I don't know, but that's zirs!

Also "sie."

Not surprising at all, "sie" is used as both a singular and plural pronoun in German (and polite second-person, no less), so it's not at all implausible for us to use "they" as a singular pronoun. People often do, anyway.

Doktor_Q
Manticor

Postby Doktor_Q » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:37 pm

Technically still incorrect, not that that's really stopped most people.

beekee
Ogre

Postby beekee » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:43 pm

Doktor_Q
Manticor

Postby Doktor_Q » Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:54 pm

"Ain't" is a piece of Canadian propaganda!

beekee
Ogre

Postby beekee » Mon Jul 25, 2011 7:21 pm

PLA
Manticor

Postby PLA » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:06 pm

"Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons!"

"I'm so happy with my evil plan; goodbye to music, gym and art
Soon I'll have the perfect school, where fun and excitement never start"

Wagahaiwa neko de aru.

Doktor_Q
Manticor

Postby Doktor_Q » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:03 pm

The "a" is hard to notice at first, which calls for a double-take.

Kinokokao
ItL Moderator

Postby Kinokokao » Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:07 pm

I disagree with every fiber of my being that defaulting to "he" is appropriate.

KKINO I FUKKIN LOVE YOU MAN

Kimiko
Manticor

Postby Kimiko » Sat Jul 30, 2011 4:44 pm

Of course it's inappropriate. That was just Archaic &co. being backward.
Kimiko

Rewatching: Beast Player Erin

Twat
Our Returned Beloved

Postby Twat » Sat Jul 30, 2011 6:30 pm

Topic was not supposed to exist, but it happened anyway. Under my name with an opening post with completely different context, too. Pretty cool.

Generally if people do not get the point, then I do not try to press the issue any further. Perhaps it is because I do not feel any value in proving one self right and just let people believe what they want. There is probably some sort of idea of "learning from each other" but at some point there is really nothing being learned from each other. ¯\_( ツ)_/¯

When the world does not let certain things go, it sets forth the chain of events which cause death, hate, destruction and bigotry, when it all began with expressions of innocent feelings and free speech. Which is pretty funny because a lot of free speech is considered a terrible thing to say. Perhaps more things need to be considered terrible to say to stop the cycle, or perhaps we should shield the ears of our children so that, upon hearing these terrible things, they will not grow up to become soldiers in the war of hate.

noodles
ItL Moderator

Postby noodles » Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:21 pm

I never understood defaulting to "he" when "they" has always worked fine in literally every case and has been what I have heard all my life.

66 posts

Return to “Discussion Section”