Favorite Anime and Manga

Chat about anything and everything non-Etrian related!

Moderator: ItL Moderators

348 posts
scy
Manticor

Postby scy » Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:04 am

Tsukihime is also totally depressing, in my opinion ... though NOTHING like Clannad's or some others.

Clannad (After Story and Tomoyo After)
[spoiler]After Story is the "canon" follow-up with Nagisa, who I hated ... that said, the fact she dies during this was pretty fucking sad. Worse yet, their daughter dies by the end of it and, presumably, Tomoya follows suit. I have no idea why they had to make this so depressing after Clannad itself being pretty heartwarming and more about making bonds and friendship and other super sweet things.

Then again, that's just the Bad Ending (well, "Normal" Ending; the True ending requires you to get depressed and kill yourself first apparently). The True Ending is super sweet totally surreal bullshit.

Tomoyo After features my favorite of the harem girls for Clannad, Tomoyo (...yeah, okay, that was obvious). Unlike Clannad, it's an actual H-Game but ... jesus christ, it manages to be even WORSE than After Story on depressing things. Tomoya suffers massive head trauma that causes him to endlessly loop a state of amnesia (and not like ef - a tale of memories; it's a clean wipe of everything before it occurs). For 3 years.

...then he regains his memory and dies.

What.[/spoiler]

Maxine MagicFox
ItL Webmaster

Postby Maxine MagicFox » Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:07 am

I semi-liked the Clannad anime but after reading spoilers about what I feared was going to happen and getting the stuff you just stated in the spoiler, I'm not going to finish watching it. *rolls eyes* I like Kanon sort of depressing, even Makoto, but... Clannad seems WAY too much and pointless.

[] - [] - [] - []

scy
Manticor

Postby scy » Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:08 am

...in the middle? Huh? TTGL spoilers!
[spoiler]My only gripe with TTGL was it was pretty much stupid. Not anything bad, really, but ... it was pretty simple. The fights were just "RAR BIGGER NOW GIGA DRILL BREAKER" The End. Nothing wrong with the series, per se, since it looked amazing, the characters were pretty awesome, and even the mecha designs were interesting but ... I just never could get over the fact the "action" was pretty bland (but pretty!).

Anyway, what character introduced around the middle? The only "new" character I can think of is Nia's Antispiral self in the post-time skip or one of Rasen-ou's lackeys.[/spoiler]

Kitsunexus
Alraune
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Kitsunexus » Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:11 am

-Kitsunexus
OMFGOLDFISH!

scy
Manticor

Postby scy » Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:17 am

Maxine MagicFox
ItL Webmaster

Postby Maxine MagicFox » Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:27 am

[spoiler]Yeah, I kinda "knew" at the end of the anime series and the foreshadowing that something like this would happen. That and I feared that as much as he hated his father, that somehow he would turn to be that way. That sort of thing REALLY made me mad and kinda turns my stomach to the point I have no interest in watching.

I don't mind a little turmoil and depression, but, seriously, emo just makes me want to strangle the idiot.

Haha, and, I had wondered if perhaps the clips were of Ushio/their child possibly playing out her mother's play. So I came close, huh?

It just seems pointless to me. I don't mind death. Hell, I like Saikano, and if you've read that ending, you'll know what I'm talking about, but there was point to it.[/spoiler]

[] - [] - [] - []

scy
Manticor

Postby scy » Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:47 am

Clanand
[spoiler]There's a point to it; the entire plot of Clannad was forging bonds with people and, in the end, it's those bonds that "redeem" Tomoya and bring about the "miracle" that allows for the Happy Ending. It's also super-fucking surreal and is my main gripe with it but whatever; they do the same thing for Fuko in the normal Clannad arc but ... still.

Getting over the "haha irony" with Tomoya / Naoyuki similarity, it's pretty nice honestly. So yeah, he becomes an emo wreck and an alcoholic but he does come to the realization that his father was a better man than he gave him credit for and they repair their shitty relationship. Naoyuki actually faired better than Tomoya since he tried raising Tomoya as opposed to how Tomoya "gave up" Ushio to Sanae. After this, he comes to a realization of how much his father actually cared for him and how important he is to Ushio (and vice-versa). Again, the bond motif.

...and then the "ohshit you die," occurs. However, the Good Ending changes things a bit. Nagisa "dies" and Tomoya returns to where they first met and he sees a vision of her. Nagisa requests that Tomoya to not regret their meeting, despite the pain and he shows some backbone this time and declares to her that he'll stand tall and survive. He then asks for her to come with him up the hill one final time ... and then it goes back to reality and Nagisa awakens, thanking Tomoya for never letting go of her hand.

The "orbs" that allow the miracle are a manifestation of people's "happiness" in the real world and come about as a result of Tomoya's actions with them. I believe Ushio states something about her "being" the Illusionary World (or become it? something) and the orbs allow her, instead, to be born safely. Something like that, at least.

It all boils down to the bond between the friends and the importance of family. Makes perfect sense considering Clannad is Irish for just that--family.[/spoiler]

Maxine MagicFox
ItL Webmaster

Postby Maxine MagicFox » Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:08 am

[spoiler]Hrrrm... that does sound a little redeeming...[/spoiler]

Oh, wait, that wasn't a spoiler was it XD LOL

[] - [] - [] - []

Dan Smith
Bloodant
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Dan Smith » Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:08 am

I'm not gonna bother with spoiler tags cause I'm pretty sure using her name won't ruin to much.

Yes Nia would be the character Scy. I found her rather annoying, she felt like an alternate version of Eureka. Damn it I just want robots fighting!!! I hated that Evangelion show for that reason. The whole "RAR I AM GONNA KICK YOUR ASS" made that show appealing to me.
"I feel my blood rushing through my body. Yes, this is it, the feeling, it's coming back to me! The sensation of killing! The doom and darkness... The dark streets, they're calling me. Calling me to the ultimate ring!"

Kinokokao
ItL Moderator

Postby Kinokokao » Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:54 am

KKINO I FUKKIN LOVE YOU MAN

Kitsunexus
Alraune

Postby Kitsunexus » Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:58 am

-Kitsunexus

OMFGOLDFISH!

Kinokokao
ItL Moderator

Postby Kinokokao » Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:39 am

No, seriously? I've heard that word before but never got what it meant or where it came from.

Leave my bling alone, yo. >_>

KKINO I FUKKIN LOVE YOU MAN

Kitsunexus
Alraune

Postby Kitsunexus » Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:54 am

-Kitsunexus

OMFGOLDFISH!

Teclo
Bloodant

Postby Teclo » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:54 am

I didn't know it meant that either, but now that I think about it it's obvious. Holler is an American (slang?) word for shout, though I suppose I don't need to tell you that, so a "hollaback girl" is a girl that "hollers back".

Kitsunexus
Alraune

Postby Kitsunexus » Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:22 am

Ack, just read that Family Guy did something funny related to it, I couldn't find the original video, so here's one of those retarded anime redubs for you:

[youtube]http://youtube.com/watch?v=alGsaaHUfPg[/youtube]
-Kitsunexus

OMFGOLDFISH!

348 posts

Return to “Discussion Section”