Favorite Anime and Manga

Chat about anything and everything non-Etrian related!

Moderator: ItL Moderators

348 posts
scy
Manticor

Postby scy » Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:32 pm

Kimiko
Manticor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Kimiko » Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:51 pm

*thwacks Seniwac for heresy* Haruhi does have a plot.
Kimiko

Rewatching: Beast Player Erin

Seniwac
Manticor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Seniwac » Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:17 pm

oh?

explain how the animu had an overarching plot

it was only a bunch of episodes, each with a different plot (except for the series about the murder mystery)

scy
Manticor

Postby scy » Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:40 pm

The entire plot revolved around ... well:

[spoiler]Haruhi and the "mystery" behind what is going on. By the end of it, you have the general gist of who (or rather, what) she is, how the others came to be, and what is going on. There's a lot not done as of yet, which is to be expected from such a short season, and, hell, I don't think even the novels have given it all out yet.

It isn't some huge plot that has gone and seen places like most other shows that ACTUALLY FINISHED in their first season. Though, yes, it does accomplish seemingly less than, say, Zero no Tsukaima did in their first season ... but that's due to a few episodes that are mostly "useless" besides for being for the funny (and, well demonstrating what she is). The basics are set-up and the main "problem" is solved for the first season. How does this differ from something else that was both a 13 episode season AND had multiple seasons?[/spoiler]

Keep in mind, I didn't exactly totally fucking love Haruhi but it's a good show. I haven't kept up with the novels as much as I'd like but some of the post-Anime stuff is pretty intriguing and I want to see it desperately (ie, the John Smith stuff!).

noodles
ItL Moderator

Postby noodles » Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:10 am

Maxine MagicFox
ItL Webmaster

Postby Maxine MagicFox » Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:10 am

[] - [] - [] - []

ZetaBladeX13
ItL Moderator

Postby ZetaBladeX13 » Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:41 pm

Maxine MagicFox
ItL Webmaster

Postby Maxine MagicFox » Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:21 pm

^_^ I hope it gets to that point. I mean, she obviously has the hots for him, that's the whole point.

That AND for Kyon to realize that he really DOES love her. The revelation was sorta there with the Sleeping Beauty thing, but I don't even think he fully "realizes". He's not there, yet.

Oh, hey, while we are on the topic:

I read a blog somewhere that had marked Koizumi as gay. :\ I realize that he IS strange, but, I never got THAT vibe from him. Is there anything official on that. Is that even the consensus of all the fans? I don't even get where people pick that vibe up from him. And you know I don't mind cross-gender relationships :3

More info, please.

[] - [] - [] - []

ZetaBladeX13
ItL Moderator

Postby ZetaBladeX13 » Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:33 pm

Maxine MagicFox
ItL Webmaster

Postby Maxine MagicFox » Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:49 pm

[] - [] - [] - []

scy
Manticor

Postby scy » Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:47 pm

There's nothing in the novels about it ... though he does have a strange fascination with Kyon and nothing with any female that I recall. His super-cheery personality, TOTALLY A LIE I SWEAR, is creepy though >> ... and I say that as someone who is so more like Itsuki than Kyon.

As for "OMG FEELINGS?!", they're a bit more sorted out with the novels ... which is really why I wanted the John Smith stuff (or, rather, the stuff prior to it in the Boredom and Disappearence volumes) to get out there. Nothing overt, obviously, as that'll probably be saved for the end if at all, but it is nice. As long as it isn't like Zero no Tsukaima and, "OKAY WIPE THE SLATE AFTER CONFESSION RETRY GO!" every few volumes then I really don't care when the confession happens.

ZnT Spoilers
[spoiler]Seriously, how do you wipe the slate and start over AFTER A (makeshift) WEDDING? Also, the anime sort of ruined the scenes after it by having it take place like ... a day later and not months. Then again, the only real difference is not seeing Louise go emo-suicidal so ... whatever.[/spoiler]

Incidentally, they've already done half of the Boredom volume (Baseball game, Murder Mystery) >>. Then again, the anime even covers stuff from up to the 6th Volume (the Culture Festival as a whole is from the Wavering volume) so whatever ... shit happens.

Thinking it over better, and realizing that the John Smith stuff is so earlier than I thought (...it is the Disappearence volume), the second season will probably just be random stuff and covering those I guess. Can't get into the current volumes (probably since as far as I know, the ending to Dissociation's story, Astonishment, isn't out yet!) so uh ... there's not too much to cover except the events in the Intrigues volume or "OKAY RANDOM EVENTS GO."

Also, for the curious: .

Maxine MagicFox
ItL Webmaster

Postby Maxine MagicFox » Wed Aug 27, 2008 5:53 pm

*nods* Itsuki's "happy" tone that seems so false is one of the things that I also liked. I COULD see him dressing up as a girl or doing a play that involves him kissing Kyon or some strange shit like that, but not because he's gay but because it goes with his happy-facade.

I think it would be much like the first season. They would have the main event "Suzumiya's disappearance" but it would be peppered with minor event sequences here and there. But the, saying that, I haven't read the novels or anything. Just wikipedia.

[] - [] - [] - []

ZetaBladeX13
ItL Moderator

Postby ZetaBladeX13 » Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:53 pm

scy
Manticor

Postby scy » Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:22 pm

Probably ... but there's like 5 events I can think of that they could toss in unless the dig into the Dissociation volume. Off-hand, there's the missing Cat (Snow Mountain murder!), the Yuki one, the Intrigues volume (though it requires the events of Disappearence to make sense since it takes place after it), and I guess the entirety of the Indignation volume.

Potential Spoilers
[spoiler]Itsuki's personality is more of a total and absolute obedience to anything Haruhi suggests as part of his job (or, rather, I think it's stated that him being like that is how Haruhi wishes him to be). This is also probably why him and Asahina (notably so with her future self) do not get along at all. Their respective Organizations are at odds and all in regards to Haruhi.

Also of note, the closest to any concern to a female I can think of he has is towards Haruhi though that is only in the Disappearance novel (...then again, he's also a transfer student from a FEMALE school there). Well, there's one time earlier where he shows interest in Haruhi's well being outside of the issue of Closed Space and ... you know, wiping out their world as they know it.[/spoiler]

Incidentally, I like Tsuruya. A lot. She's adorable.

noodles
ItL Moderator

Postby noodles » Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:04 am

348 posts

Return to “Discussion Section”