I WON!!!

Chat about anything and everything non-Etrian related!

Moderator: ItL Moderators

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
14 posts [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
• Page 1 of 1
Maxine MagicFox
ItL Webmaster

I WON!!!

Postby Maxine MagicFox » Wed May 02, 2012 5:44 am

Fuck it! I'm so happy! And this is my forums and my website so I'm making a new topic for this:

I WON!!!

:3

It was actually a tie between me and another student, but I'm so fine with the tie because honestly I was secretly cheering him on, too. He was far more new at this than me and he had some FANTASTIC ideas in the way of his back end.

^_^ I'm so totally happy with this! I get to win AND not feel guilty!

...... I WON!!!!!!!

(and I swear to god if even one person asks "what did she win" they are going to get banned :[ ..... not really but... SERIOUSLY! XD )

[] - [] - [] - []

fauxsquared
Ogre
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: I WON!!!

Postby fauxsquared » Wed May 02, 2012 5:46 am

well I wont ask but congrats!

seriously need to visit forums more....

Zeta look cute fillies.

Maxine MagicFox
ItL Webmaster

Postby Maxine MagicFox » Wed May 02, 2012 5:51 am

So the scoring was based on several things:

1. Our codes
2. How well we met our clients needs
3. The audience polling
4. One item that escapes my mind... I'll remember it later.

I ranked top in 1 and 2, and second in the other two items and vice versa for the boy who tied with me.

:3

Ok, hint hint: my semester project.... I've been working on a website for a client. http://cis.luzerne.edu/~pf0004/

[] - [] - [] - []

Yoonah
Manticor

Postby Yoonah » Wed May 02, 2012 6:04 am

<333333
*claps*
Congratulates are in order =P

Punching people is very romantic, and don't let anybody tell you otherwise.
MATERNITY SPIRAL

Kimiko
Manticor

Postby Kimiko » Wed May 02, 2012 7:19 am

Again, congratulations! :)
Kimiko

Rewatching: Beast Player Erin

noodles
ItL Moderator

Postby noodles » Wed May 02, 2012 7:27 am

won what idk

negzee
ItL's resident princess

Postby negzee » Wed May 02, 2012 2:10 pm

Congrats! It's a nice looking site. :)

Just curious, was the final deliverable a mostly static site (outside of the application form), or did you have to develop your own little CMS for the client to update content as well? Will the NPPPA be adopting one of the two winning projects?

Maxine MagicFox
ItL Webmaster

Postby Maxine MagicFox » Wed May 02, 2012 3:10 pm

^_^ Thanks guys!

Actually, there is only one page on that site I created that is static. That's the About page. Yep, we had to create our own little CMS for it.

I was the only one who created a CMS with "role" capabilities. Which means in layman terms that different roles have access to different functions.

Now I'm praying that no one will be an ass here and try to do anything destructive: http://cis.luzerne.edu/~pf0004/admin/index.php is the admin section. User name "cody2" password "tester" will let you see SOME functions. Not all but you can get a feel for what I created.

The judges enjoyed my back end, though not as much as my co-winner

And! I remember what that fourth item was:
1. Our codes - first place
*this is where our coding teacher went in and tried to break it and inject malicious codes
I only got caught on two major things. One I'm kicking myself for as it was an absolute overlook when I was being pressed for time! The other I'm actually going to contact him and see what his suggestions are on how it should be done.
2. How well we met our clients needs - first place
3. The audience polling - second place
4. Look and overall feel of the website - second place

My co-winner used Ajax for his site and it was a LOT more user friendly, though I think there were a few things I would have done differently and that our subject matters were just two polar opposites that I couldn't have done what he did with my site.

As for your question Negzee: we each got our own special clients and we developed our sites specifically for them and the teacher now has our codes and even if we decide that we will not make sure the sites get up and running for our clients: those discs are handed over. It belongs to our clients now and it's up to them if they want to use the sites.

My co-winner had a website for a Flower Nursery: http://cis.luzerne.edu/~mb0012/webproject/index.php I think if he hadn't done what he did with his Admin pages, he wouldn't have gotten first place, but seriously... the kid is far more new at this than I am. While I've been coding HTML and CSS since I was 14, he just started with this program. The kid's got talent and while of course I obviously wanted to win... I was beginning to hope that he would win, too. It was a catch 22 for how I felt and I actually think that this tie is the best possible outcome.

Sadly I can't show you his back end.

Though at the same time I do feel somewhat miffed because I had FAR more dynamic content that I needed to cover. :3 But now I'm just being spoiled. XD

I only got picked on for two things by the judges who were nothing than compliments: 1) loss of real estate from big banner. The judge would have liked to see that after the front page the "Welcome to Northeast" section disappear and free up some room, but it was a minor aspect since it looked fabulous. ... :3 I've always been picked on for having big banners. That's the style that I like so I'm ok with this comment. 2) The next was an actual question to me: He saw for the section for competition winners gallery with the "Attach/Edit photos" that while I have it coded so that if a field errors in some way it does not affect the loading of the other fields. He asked me why I wouldn't use a little more javascript. I countered this saying that I personally have my javascript turned off on my computer (you guys know that this is how I got that virus not so long ago so I have that no script turn on in firefox) and while I use javascript lightly for certain places on my main site, in the backend, I worried that a new user attempting to use the system may run into some problems if their javascript was disabled.

:3 Later on last night I actually got complimented for my response by the teacher.

But it was SO sweet! In addition to my client, four other members of the association showed up and XD they gave me flowers!! I almost started crying! I was like "nooo, my make up is going to run... can't cry... can't cry...." I think my clients really do like what I have created for them and I'm hoping they will decide to hire me so I can continue to work on the project!

I can't wait to see it up on npppa.com!

Yeah, even though next week is the last class, I'm going to definitely make sure that the website is in working order for them when it is transferred, whether or not they hire me. I did NOT go to all that effort to not make sure it works. :3 And I want to be able to visit it and be proud of myself!

[] - [] - [] - []

PLA
Manticor

Postby PLA » Wed May 02, 2012 5:07 pm

"Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons!"

"I'm so happy with my evil plan; goodbye to music, gym and art
Soon I'll have the perfect school, where fun and excitement never start"

Wagahaiwa neko de aru.

ZetaBladeX13
ItL Moderator

Postby ZetaBladeX13 » Wed May 02, 2012 5:09 pm

Congrats, Maxine!

Get anything awesome from your win? =3

negzee
ItL's resident princess

Postby negzee » Fri May 04, 2012 5:37 pm

Thanks for your answer about the clients, Maxine. I guess it just makes judgement and ranking a bit more complicated than if you were to all doing a site for the same client with the same requirements.

Your response to the javascript question was a very good one that deserved your teacher's compliments.

Also, I got around to looking at your backend and it's clean and simple. Very nice! Although, I'm curious why, in the competition winners gallery section, you have text links to the thumbnails for each photo instead of just inlining them and making the inlined thumbnails link to corresponding full-size photos.

Maxine MagicFox
ItL Webmaster

Postby Maxine MagicFox » Sat May 05, 2012 12:40 am

Actually, it was a consistency thing with the rest of the photo choices I had made around the whole back end like that. Also: in the event of a wrong image being uploaded this way the file name is on display and it's more obvious to my client that maybe something isn't right. I could see him or others being lazy and seeing the correct thumbnail but never click it to be sure that the main photo is the wrong one.

[] - [] - [] - []

Liferake
Hunter

Postby Liferake » Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:51 am

Grats Maxine!

Maxine MagicFox
ItL Webmaster

Postby Maxine MagicFox » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:19 am

Wow, ^_^; this is some serious necromancy, but I don't mind. XD I'm still super proud of myself. I went to this year's event and several of the students knew me and it was fun talking about mine and my co-winner's achievements.

I, too, use no script these days, garrett.

[] - [] - [] - []

14 posts [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
• Page 1 of 1

Return to “Discussion Section”