1st person RPG being developed for 17 years coming May 2013

Chat about anything and everything non-Etrian related!

Moderator: ItL Moderators

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
8 posts [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
• Page 1 of 1
DashiDMV
Ragelope
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

1st person RPG being developed for 17 years coming May 2013

Postby DashiDMV » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:15 pm

So for those that like all games that inspired EO such as the old Wizardry games, Lands of Lore, Eye of the Beholder etc a game called Grimoire is finally being completed and released. This game has been in development since 1995 and the dev behind it is eccentric to put it mildly. Still this looks like one of the best games of it's type to come out in a long long time.

Also the pitch video is pretty funny and something to do until or after EO4. Check out the crowdfunding site the guy set up for the video and more info about the game:

I'm a fan who follows the guy and his game so if you have any questions, I'll try my best to answer them.

SirthOsiris
Manticor

Re: 1st person RPG being developed for 17 years coming May 2

Postby SirthOsiris » Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:35 pm

Rather curious as to why he's only allowing a DRM free version prior to release.

DashiDMV
Ragelope

Postby DashiDMV » Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:10 pm

Well he has a bit of a rep on some of these old school sites. I think he was afraid of being trolled by people who would pirate his game. That might not be the case anymore, I will ask.

Piracy is pretty much a given so maybe he will relent. I know he is trying to make the pledge special by only doing the physical copies through that drive. As for the DRM thing, I'll try and find out where he stands on it now a few weeks later and see if anything has changed.

I'll also post the demo when it is released but I don't think it will be until late November. With a one man project, this stuff moves slower than normal.

noodles
ItL Moderator

Postby noodles » Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:19 pm

I'm more confused about why so much money is needed here, when it looks like all of the in-game assets and functions are already done.

DashiDMV
Ragelope

Postby DashiDMV » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:58 am

Well the developer spent around 250k out of his own pocket to make the game so part of it is he wants to see some of that come back before release, the other part is adding new art and music into the game which he will have to hire and pay outside contractors for.

Here is an interview he did that was posted yesterday that might answer some other questions:

Still working on the DRM question, should hear something later. He is on Aus time which is like +18 hours from my time so sometimes hard to catch him on.

Reynard-Miri
Manticor

Postby Reynard-Miri » Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:36 am

Pro tip: +18 hours is -6 hours.

Oh, and in case it wasn't obvious, this feels very shady.

Maxine MagicFox
ItL Webmaster

Postby Maxine MagicFox » Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:25 am

[] - [] - [] - []

DashiDMV
Ragelope

Postby DashiDMV » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:04 pm

It's not -6 when they are 1 day ahead. Good effort though.

With the game being developed for 17 years and the Flexible Funding model, people are wary of donating which is understandable. If you really don't care if you get a physical or digital copy or have exclusive in game items, putting money down on a pledge drive isn't really necessary. There are people that will just wait until May to buy/pirate it.

So I don't know what part of giving someone a heads up about a game is "shady" but everyone is entitled to their opinions. I'll let you guys know when the demo comes out so you can at least play that.

8 posts [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
• Page 1 of 1

Return to “Discussion Section”