Rogue-likes

Chat about anything and everything non-Etrian related!

Moderator: ItL Moderators

Geadin
Ragelope
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Rogue-likes

Postby Geadin » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:31 pm

Anyone else play Rogue-likes? I know Atlus has quite a few such as Baroque and Shiren the wanderer, but I also play nethack and Angband. I've been looking for some new ones to play...

PLA
Manticor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Rogue-likes

Postby PLA » Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:35 pm

^ POWDER is free and turnbased.
"Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons!"

"I'm so happy with my evil plan; goodbye to music, gym and art
Soon I'll have the perfect school, where fun and excitement never start"

Wagahaiwa neko de aru.

Reynard-Miri
Manticor

Postby Reynard-Miri » Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:24 pm

Dungeons of Dredmor. It's delightfully ridiculous. =D

There's also Elona, which is.... fucking weird. (edit: Pun unintended.)

Weeaboolits
Manticor

Postby Weeaboolits » Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:22 pm

Izuna is pretty fun.

PLA
Manticor

Postby PLA » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:47 pm

Australia.

Wagahaiwa neko de aru.

Maxine MagicFox
ItL Webmaster

Postby Maxine MagicFox » Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:28 am

[] - [] - [] - []

Geadin
Ragelope

Postby Geadin » Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:36 pm

Yeah, Izuna is great. I've been telling myself to ascend in nethack before I start playing any other rogue-likes...but I think I'm going to give up for now and move on to others lol. Powder looks fun, I might sink some time into that. I'd go back to playing Izuna, but EOII is taking up my DS time :)
Last edited by Geadin on Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PLA
Manticor

Postby PLA » Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:58 pm

Powder features D&D-style Pun-Pun-shenanigans of sorts.
For a while, I just used my immunities to survive by turning most of the dungeon into lava.
With luck and planning, it's possible to learn all spells and skills, and raising your MP-maximum is a matter of grinding the right monsters.

It's not a good idea to start with that nonsense, though. There's replay-value.

Wagahaiwa neko de aru.

Ninten
Manticor

Postby Ninten » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:51 am

Diablo. Sort of.

Geadin
Ragelope

Postby Geadin » Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:27 pm

I'd definitely put diablo into the category of rogue-likes. lava pla? I have much to learn.

PLA
Manticor

Postby PLA » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:33 pm

^ Staves are always amazing items. Not to be confused with wands. I got one with Sun Burst or whatever it's called. Creates a big lava-pit. Can be a problem without fire-resistance. Can still be a problem without polymorph-immunity.

I'll leave you with the most bread and butter trick in the game.

But it only gets weird as hell when you get into polymorphing, possession and necromancy.
Geomancy is great on its own, though.

The best weapons are tricky to make. Mostly because you have to make them. There's a hammer with passive wall-digging, for example.

Oh, and the different types of clothing and armour are assigned random magical properties when the game starts. After that, each Iron Helmet or whatever will have the same property. If slippers let you leap, all slippers let you leap. This ties into what attire each god prefers. When you want the mage-bonus for wearing slippers, you'd be stuck with that random property, too. But changing shoes is easy, anyway.
For the record, the mage-bonus is extra mana-recovery for wearing Floppy Hat, Plain Robe, two Rings, and Pointed Slippers

Wagahaiwa neko de aru.

Benkyo
Fenrir

Postby Benkyo » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:48 am

If you like roguelikes and haven't played Brogue yet do so. Seriously. It is so much more accessible and fun than Nethack yet with the depth and variety a roguelike needs.

DoomRL is also pretty amazing.

Roguelike ranking of games I've played from best to worst:

Brogue (near perfection)
Shiren series (up to 5, but not the PC one, that's rubbish)
DoomRL (fast, furious, fun)
Stone Soup (Crawl. Good but too long)
Sporkhack (Nethack family. I started with Nethack, it's awesome, but spoiled for me now)
Powder (fun but limited)
Dungeons of Dredmor (too sloooow, no variety, so many things wrong with it)
ToME (just never clicked)
Angband (also never clicked for me)
Izuna (barely qualifies as a Roguelike IMO. Grindy)
Last edited by Benkyo on Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
無垢無頼努

Geadin
Ragelope

Postby Geadin » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:55 am

I loved throwing items at the old lady in baroque and getting random items in return. I need to get back into that game...also, haven't played DoomRL, but looks good.

Benkyo
Fenrir

Postby Benkyo » Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:17 am

Baroque? Had to Google that. I was talking about https://sites.google.com/site/broguegame/
無垢無頼努

Geadin
Ragelope

Postby Geadin » Fri Nov 09, 2012 5:17 pm

Ah, I see I'll have to give it a spin. I managed to get to hell in DoomRL :-)

26 posts

Return to “Discussion Section”