Considering Making an Etrian Odyssey Reference Program

Chat about anything and everything non-Etrian related!

Moderator: ItL Moderators

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
7 posts [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
• Page 1 of 1
Justanothernerd
Ragelope
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Considering Making an Etrian Odyssey Reference Program

Postby Justanothernerd » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:44 pm

I'm not too sure if this is the right place to post this, as it isn't really general discussion but it's not specific to any of the 4 Etrian Odyssey games.

I'm learning a bit of Java right now (emphasis on the learning part: all of what follows is just me throwing around ideas) and I want to work on making a program that gives quick access to all of the different classes and skills in all four Etrian Odyssey games. To start with, I intend on just making it a reference tool. You could find out the stats and requirements for a specific skill of a specific class from a specific game, for instance. If I manage to get that far, I'll look into turning it into a full-fledged skill simulator, and maybe even a reference for more things like items, quests and what have you. Eventually it may even end up being the ultimate all-encompassing utility for all things Etrian. But first a skill reference.

I'm still learning Java right now but I know enough to create a rudimentary command-line based version of the program. I'm working on getting into GUIs at some point, so until then I'm throwing ideas around and working on making databases of the skills and whatnot.

My questions though,

// If such a program (the Skill Reference) were available, would you use it?

// If such a program were available, what else would you like to have it able to do?

// Would you prefer a command-based interface (type in a command and the program spits out whatever you tell it to) or menu-based interface (clicking buttons and drop-down menus)?

Any kind of input or feedback is welcome though; I've been considering doing this for a few months, but I'm just now getting to where I feel I could actually go about making it happen. Any relevant questions would help me get my thoughts together and help to flesh out what the program would actually be like.
Grey medic is best medic.

Maxine MagicFox
ItL Webmaster

Re: Considering Making an Etrian Odyssey Reference Program

Postby Maxine MagicFox » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:53 pm

Skill Simulators of EOIII and IV already exist. Are they used? YES.

I hope this information helps to make up your mind about your project in one way or another. Personally, I dearly wish someone would take the time to make a Skill Simulator for the first game.

Saying that, though, I'm not too sure I fully understand what it is exactly that you want to do with your program. I guess one of my questions is, if it's not a skill sim, what is it? If it's just a reference, what's the difference between using your program and finding the data already compiled by Zaraf, Scy, negzee, et all, that already exists on GFaqs?

Not that I'm putting down your project idea (not even by half): I just need a little more information to fully comprehend.

[] - [] - [] - []

PLA
Manticor

Postby PLA » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:56 pm

"Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons!"

"I'm so happy with my evil plan; goodbye to music, gym and art
Soon I'll have the perfect school, where fun and excitement never start"

Wagahaiwa neko de aru.

Justanothernerd
Ragelope

Postby Justanothernerd » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:18 pm

Last edited by Justanothernerd on Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Reynard-Miri
Manticor

Postby Reynard-Miri » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:58 pm

Hm... I got a lot of words that I'm having trouble ordering.

I personally like the idea of a command-based interface, but only if it lets me do more complex calculations. It's... http://www.anydice.com/ is a really good example of what I'm talking about here. Menu-based interfaces win out when there are heavy restrictions on what the user can do, though.

What I'd like to see is the ability to calculate proc-chance.

Justanothernerd
Ragelope

Postby Justanothernerd » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:31 am

I don't think there's much variation for command-line interfaces (command bar either at the top or bottom of the page, and the results show up below or above it, respectively) but I really like the design of AnyDice. Simple, but detailed where it needs to be.

I love command interfaces personally, but there's a learning curve of actually learning the commands. Though, it'd be easy to make simple, intuitive commands. (i.e. "Class Landsknecht" loads the Landsknecht's details, "Class Prince Skill Ad Nihilo" loads the Prince's Ad Nihilo skill, etc.)

Maybe having an option button for both interfaces wouldn't be so bad.

Hong
Manticor

Postby Hong » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:07 am

I would sacrifice and orphanage to have such a resource available. I can ensure you that it would be put to good use.

7 posts [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
• Page 1 of 1

Return to “Discussion Section”