What do you do for a living anyways?

Chat about anything and everything non-Etrian related!

Moderator: ItL Moderators

155 posts
revgored
Ragelope
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

What do you do for a living anyways?

Postby revgored » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:22 pm

Let's talk about our jobs here!

I'm always interested to hear what other people do for a living, as they've usually got cool insights into things that I haven't done!

To kick it off - I'm a game designer! I've worked on tabletop stuff for Heartbreaker Hobbies when I was a teenager, worked at a small mobile studio, EA Games, and now with IUGO Mobile.

I've also been a corporate supervisor at Hewlett-Packard, and managed about 6 different EBGames stores during the early 2000's. (I'm old as heck, in case you're wondering).

My favourite job was when I delivered Chinese food for the Prawn Garden every Saturday night - if there's a gig I could go back and do, it'd be that, at the drop of a hat. Something to be said for driving around in a beat up Chevette on summer nights, drinking iced tea and delivering delicious food ;)

Alright, who's next?

thdrkprnc
Ragelope

Re: What do you do for a living anyways?

Postby thdrkprnc » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:43 pm

I guess that would be me.

Interested to hear what you all do as well :)

I actually work with homeboy here^ at the same developer down in Vancouver, BC. Also a Designer.

We like to spend our breaks talking about our sick-as-hell builds and how OP Arcanist's poison is.
✖✖
✖✖

Maxine MagicFox
ItL Webmaster

Postby Maxine MagicFox » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:53 pm

I have to post my job HERE after reading THAT?

:oops:

M-M-McDonald's....

Currently sending my resume out to companies to get an entry level position into website development...

I feel so fail right now...

However, I AM interested to know your age now, rev. I'm 28. I think Kimiko has the position of eldest on the forums... I THINK.... ... How old was she... 36?

[] - [] - [] - []

revgored
Ragelope
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby revgored » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:55 pm

Cottontofu
Manticor

Postby Cottontofu » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:00 pm

I totally support you Maxine! All I did was tutoring (French, Math, English, Spanish...)... :D

I look forward to my internship in International Business to graduate. Basically I'll have to do some research on European markets and contact potential partners (in Great Britain and Spain) to sell medical device.

And I'm 23 (24 in about 5 months) :)

Maxine MagicFox
ItL Webmaster

Postby Maxine MagicFox » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:05 pm

LOL Rev. Looks like your in the acceptable age group in the forums afterall. ^_^ Kimiko still beats you, it seems.

It's just embarrassing to tell others that I'm 28 working at a fast food joint, but I do enjoy the job (love most of my customers) and it paid my way through community college. *shrugs* I'll get there eventually (hopefully very very soon).

^_^ Yep. I made all of this with some scripting help from Archaic Sage and a few others on the forums (I've currently even got a coding discussion thread going as I create the new blog that will run on the site).

I can get by with my designs (people seem to like them, though I think they are very simplistic in nature - they are nothing like http://www.zeldaeurope.de/ for example... I idolize this designer. Don't have a bloody clue what the language is but my GOD that person can design a good website. *drools*) but it's the back end coding that I LOVE.

[] - [] - [] - []

thdrkprnc
Ragelope

Postby thdrkprnc » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:24 pm

Wow, yeah, that seems pretty solid.

If it's any consolation--even though I work in games I still can't code to save my life haha.

I think this site is awesome :)
✖✖
✖✖

revgored
Ragelope

Postby revgored » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:30 pm

CottonTofu - are you actually based in France? My wife and I did a hell of a lot of travel during our 20's, and Paris was our go-to vacation spot for a great number of trips over that way.

Cottontofu
Manticor

Postby Cottontofu » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:36 pm

PLA
Manticor

Postby PLA » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:53 pm

I suffer for a living. :3
Assuming my father doesn't get me in trouble with the law.
"Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons!"

"I'm so happy with my evil plan; goodbye to music, gym and art
Soon I'll have the perfect school, where fun and excitement never start"

Wagahaiwa neko de aru.

revgored
Ragelope

Postby revgored » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:59 pm

We usually grab a hostel in the Montmartre district (Perfect Hostel is one I remember by name), or over by Gare Du Nord, and then just bum around town for a week at a go. Love Font St. Michel for lunch/bookstores, or just espresso at bars and riding bikes around town.

Fun fact - we were riding one time near Notre Dame and in the wrong lane. Instead of pulling us over and directing us, some cops started riding hard on our ass and honking/yelling until we moved, it was pretty awesome!

Cottontofu
Manticor

Postby Cottontofu » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:12 pm

Kimiko
Manticor

Postby Kimiko » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:29 pm

Yes, I'm still oldest here at 36. You can call me Kimi-oba-san :P

For a living I'm unemployed at the moment. I've worked in PC/laptop refurbishing (of old ones) and setup (of new ones) for two years until last summer. Before that, in another lifetime I once worked as a programmer. I was thinking that maybe I could become a programmer again, but it seems I'm lacking in current skills so much that even an internship is a lot to ask for.
Kimiko

Rewatching: Beast Player Erin

revgored
Ragelope

Postby revgored » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:31 pm

noodles
ItL Moderator

Postby noodles » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:59 pm

My only real job was working in restaurants at Disneyland. Other than that I've just done small things.

155 posts

Return to “Discussion Section”