9th Grade Bookshelf Suggestions Wanted!

Chat about anything and everything non-Etrian related!

Moderator: ItL Moderators

Reynard-Miri
Manticor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: 9th Grade Bookshelf Suggestions Wanted!

Postby Reynard-Miri » Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:02 am

It's true, Runaways is pretty rad. (Even if I've only read V2.)

zamisk
ItL Moderator

Postby zamisk » Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:11 am

It's my favorite volume by a narrow margin.

"Everyone else is idiots, Zamisk. And you am idiots. And I are idiots."
-PLA

Maxine MagicFox
ItL Webmaster

Postby Maxine MagicFox » Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:33 am

^_^ Yeah, that's true, too, Starfe. I highly recommend putting Bran Stoker's Dracula on the shelf, then. My god that book is delicious. Edgar Allen Poe, too! Hunchback of Notre Dame. I would also highly recommend Les Miserabe. (I prolly murdered the spelling of that.) And... Don Quixote. And let's not forget Shakespeare... I think more classes need to do Midsummer Night's Dream (instead of friggin Hamlet and Macbeth). That play had me rolling on the ground laughing. I think those higher reading students would definitely enjoy these stories. I certainly did.

^_^ Maybe for kicks and giggles I would highly recommend Goblin Quest as well. If you have any RPG game players in the class, I think they would get a major kick out of the story.

I think you've got a good handle on your students and their needs and I wish you all the luck in the world. You have more strength than I do. My mom wanted me to be a teacher since I loved readering so much and she though I could inspire.... but I don't like the idea of trying to inspire people that seriously do not want to be there. I HATED being a student in those classes - I couldn't imagine trying to be the teacher. You have my respect Starfe.

[] - [] - [] - []

PLA
Manticor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby PLA » Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:35 pm

Get some Goethe. Faust is weird and interesting. The Sorrows is kind of dull in content, but framed as letters.

Safran Foer makes books weird. Words printed on top of words so you can't read them. Sudden clipbook-pages. Optional cyphers to solve!

Nonfiction works on people with other interests.
"Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons!"

"I'm so happy with my evil plan; goodbye to music, gym and art
Soon I'll have the perfect school, where fun and excitement never start"

Wagahaiwa neko de aru.

noodles
ItL Moderator

Postby noodles » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:53 pm

what books are the students required to read in your class? In 9th grade, the only novel we did was Lord of the Flies.

Archaic Sage
ItL Webmaster

Postby Archaic Sage » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:58 pm

Mary Stewart's Arthur trilogy told from the point of view of Merlin is awesome.

As is Bernard Cornwell's Arthur series told from the view of a soldier. Very good.

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo series is a brilliant set of books for a crime thriller.

As for Shakespeare I agree with Max, but I also think that The Tempest and Othello need to be considered.

Oh the Sherlock Holmes set is brilliant too.

[ | | | | ]

Reynard-Miri
Manticor

Postby Reynard-Miri » Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:11 pm

12th Night.

Starfe
Manticor

Postby Starfe » Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:36 pm

Archaic Sage
ItL Webmaster

Postby Archaic Sage » Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:12 am

[ | | | | ]

Reynard-Miri
Manticor

Postby Reynard-Miri » Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:28 am

Starfe
Manticor

Postby Starfe » Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:51 am

Reynard-Miri
Manticor

Postby Reynard-Miri » Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:17 am

You're a good man, Starfe Brown.

Yoonah
Manticor

Postby Yoonah » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:56 am

Here's all the books I read in high school barring 12th grade

Information under the tag

Take in mind that these books were for the Honors English classes

Punching people is very romantic, and don't let anybody tell you otherwise.
MATERNITY SPIRAL

Trifkin
Manticor

Postby Trifkin » Mon Sep 09, 2013 5:17 am

zamisk
ItL Moderator

Postby zamisk » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:17 am

Oh man, don't forget a copy of Lost at Sea by Bryan Lee O'Malley.

And Cory Doctorow, I posted my recommendations before you said your policy about maturity and the shit those kids deal with already. Everyone should read Little Brother, if you can't afford copies Doctorow will send them to you and the digital version is available on his site free in every single format, including Texas Instruments calculator files. Seriously, check that the fuck out. His other good books are Pirate Cinema and Homeland, the latter being a sequel to Little Brother. For the Win is a little bit dry for kids. It heavily focuses on MMO's and how the economies work and how interconnected the world is via games and is a bit preachy about rebellions and fighting the Man. But you for sure need Little Brother. I have given away 5 or 6 copies to various people, including Trifbutt. Everyone should read it.

"Everyone else is idiots, Zamisk. And you am idiots. And I are idiots."
-PLA

39 posts

Return to “Discussion Section”