1st person dungeon crawlers you enjoy

Chat about anything and everything non-Etrian related!

Moderator: ItL Moderators

Kakizaki
Fenrir
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Kakizaki » Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:19 pm

Maxine MagicFox
ItL Webmaster

Postby Maxine MagicFox » Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:31 pm

[] - [] - [] - []

Archaic Sage
ItL Webmaster

Postby Archaic Sage » Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:15 pm

[ | | | | ]

Kakizaki
Fenrir
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Kakizaki » Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:24 pm

^Depending on the editor/reviewer 1up can be much more genre sympathetic. They also gave EO a farily positive review.

Maxine MagicFox
ItL Webmaster

Postby Maxine MagicFox » Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:53 pm

Archaic's never liked 1up for some reason. I dunno why. I agree with Kazi here. 1up is my favorite site, honestly, for reviews. Not saying all of them, but a handful of the players seem to know exactly what their talking about and don't just rate games 'cause they are mainstream.

[] - [] - [] - []

slipgate ranger
Ragelope

Postby slipgate ranger » Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:21 am

enigmaopoeia
Ragelope

Postby enigmaopoeia » Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:29 am

The first game to get me into first-person dungeon crawlers was The Bard's Tale Construction Set because it was the only game in the series I bought and played. And I loved it so much, especially when you can create your own towns, dungeons, and etc. It really made me love those styles of games. I also really like Shining The Holy Ark, especially the characters Melody and Rodi. ^^;; And if they count, I like titles like Megami Ibunroku Persona and Arcana for their first-person perspective with a mix of dungeon-crawling. ^^;;

I have also tried out Orcs & Elves [DS], Swords and Serpents [NES], Double Dungeons [VC], and Deep Labyrinth [DS], and I couldn't get into those titles as much as the others. =/

~ enigmaopoeia @

matt
Fenrir

Postby matt » Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:36 am

"Shiren" was released on the Super Famicom years ago. The DS version is an update, but I think it may be almost the same game, so yo ucould try it in emulation first.

My favorite dungeon crawler was King's Field on the Playstation 1. I also wanted to get into Wasteland (the precursor to Fallout), but have never really found the patience.

Orcs and Elves is pretty good. I liked a lot the way it moved and felt (the controls, the game engine, the sprite graphics). I always have an interest in ID's stuff. If you play it I'd recommend on the hard mode first. Nightmare is impossible.

I just typed in "nightmare orcs elves" into Google and the first link mentions "so far only one man has beaten Orcs and Elves in Nightmare mode." :)

matt
Fenrir

Postby matt » Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:40 am

Nethack is a respected game...

http://www.nethack.org/

some of you might want to look into it. This guy made videos of himself playing: http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p ... 60A48069F2

Vapour Trail
Manticor

Postby Vapour Trail » Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:24 am

Kitsunexus
Alraune

Postby Kitsunexus » Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:16 am

-Kitsunexus
OMFGOLDFISH!

matt
Fenrir

Postby matt » Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:31 pm

I second "Shining in the Darkness". That's a good one, and closer in style to Etrian than the ones I mentioned. Well, not style, but the type of game. I guess there's always Diablo. Diablo 3 was announced supposedly: http://digg.com/gaming_news/Blizzard_Af ... ablo_3_Yes Or is going to be announced. Maybe.

In the original Shin Megami you DO move forward in a 3D dungeon, same with Persona 1. Or Phantasy Star 1, for that matter.

Here's the wiki of rogue-like games:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roguelike

Should Etrian be added to the list? It is not random, so no.

Etrian is a "dungeon crawl"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dungeon_crawl

I added EO and Shining in the Darkness to the "See Also" list.

Kitsunexus
Alraune

Postby Kitsunexus » Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:57 pm

-Kitsunexus

OMFGOLDFISH!

matt
Fenrir

Postby matt » Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:51 pm

Kitsunexus
Alraune

Postby Kitsunexus » Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:21 pm

-Kitsunexus

OMFGOLDFISH!

48 posts

Return to “Discussion Section”