1st person dungeon crawlers you enjoy

Chat about anything and everything non-Etrian related!

Moderator: ItL Moderators

Maxine MagicFox
ItL Webmaster

Postby Maxine MagicFox » Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:40 am

[] - [] - [] - []

ziron
Killclaw
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby ziron » Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:02 am

Some one is very into first person dungeon crawlers....

Kitsunexus
Alraune
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Kitsunexus » Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:03 am

-Kitsunexus
OMFGOLDFISH!

Maxine MagicFox
ItL Webmaster

Postby Maxine MagicFox » Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:30 am

I have never played Rogue, so I couldn't be sure, but when you said "ASI text-based" I thought of a lot of the Atari text adventure games my parents played, which, while providing no graphical images, was clearly a first-person dungeon as it was written in an "You" POV standard and my mom and dad would grab their graphical paper to write things down and make notes such as "there's a desk in this room, open it to get a gun".

I don't mind you discussing things. As a matter of fact I had a discussion recently with Hobbun and Kino. Just, please be civil about it.

[] - [] - [] - []

Kitsunexus
Alraune

Postby Kitsunexus » Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:01 am

-Kitsunexus

OMFGOLDFISH!

matt
Fenrir

Postby matt » Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:06 am

Vapour Trail
Manticor

Postby Vapour Trail » Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:27 pm

X-grunger
Ragelope

Postby X-grunger » Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:00 pm

shining in the darkness, might and magic I to VII (i havent played the others) , wizardry, D&D eye of the beholder, Arcana, and of course, etrian odyssey
Terry LVL 31 Landsknecht Max Lvl 31 Protector
Liquid Lvl 28 SurvivalistNay lvl 28 Medic Glass lvl 28 Alchemist (fire/poison)

matt
Fenrir

Postby matt » Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:55 am

I was Just about to mention Arcana because this guy's review, he says it's great:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/snes/review/R49161.html

Here's a video:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Jzote9sgwDo&feature=related

Also I wanted to say that Kitsunexus was entirely right in calling me out on being off-topic. That I was naming games that weren't first-person. I haven't gone back to that other thread where I signed off because I'm aphrayd, but it did linger in my mind, my habit of being off-topic in forums, since I've been kicked off from basically every forum I've been to since AOL 2.5 days, like over... probably over 2 dozen. I just always cause problems. I guess I'm self-obsessed like ted baxter or Rush Limbaugh. But there just aren't that many 1st person dungeon crawlers. I'll add Arcana to the list on that Wiki page. No wait, on second thought, no I won't. Someone in the history wrote "alphasort: list seems overly long" so I better not add to it! But Arcana is probably very good. Maybe it's even better than Shining in the Darkness. Well, I guess I think of them all as rogue-likes, because the randomization isn't THAT important, and the display of the graphics isn't THAT important. The programming and gameplay is very similar. I think a lot of reasons why certain game-types came about was because of technological limitations rather than what the developers really wanted it to be. We look back and say "it was so much better this way or that way," and it may've been, but it's natural to want to display situations in first person or close-to-it, because it's the most like life, like interacting in the world. That's what a painter always goes for. Yet people saw Etrian Odyssey as little more than a throwback (I couldn't find a single review that didn't at least spend two paragraphs going over how it's "old school" and a "niche title.") Yet could games like this be any other way? I don't think it can advance more technically. Having smoother 3D movement, the ability to turn and look in any direction, that all serves no point. It's not like in Quake 1 when Carmack introduced the idea of shooting in any direction with precision (if you put the +mouselook thing in your config file, which most professional players didn't even do) -- I mean, I think the lockstep movement, space by space, that's all inherent to the gameplay design. But was keeping the enemies unanimated? No. Early games like Phantasy Star 1 had animated enemies. There was no reason why EO couldn't have done the same (unless you're the sort of person who considers things like "there was not enough money" or "we were too lazy" to be reasons.) So that's something that bothered me about EO: it was intentionally trying to be a throwback beyond any point necessary. I mean, the drawings of the enemies were nice, they look a lot better than these animated ones I'm seeing in this Arcana video, but... okay I need to stop. I don't even remember my train of thought now.

matt
Fenrir

Postby matt » Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:14 pm

http://agtp.romhack.net/project.php?id=soulhackers

"This project "Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers" page has been viewed 21607 times so far."

lol, someone better inform Atlus! They could bring it to the DS and make some dough

Kitsunexus
Alraune

Postby Kitsunexus » Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:51 pm

-Kitsunexus

OMFGOLDFISH!

Teclo
Bloodant

Postby Teclo » Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:39 am

Kinokokao
ItL Moderator

Postby Kinokokao » Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:59 am

KKINO I FUKKIN LOVE YOU MAN

Kitsunexus
Alraune

Postby Kitsunexus » Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:26 am

-Kitsunexus

OMFGOLDFISH!

Kinokokao
ItL Moderator

Postby Kinokokao » Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:35 am

KKINO I FUKKIN LOVE YOU MAN

48 posts

Return to “Discussion Section”