R4DS

Chat about anything and everything non-Etrian related!

Moderator: ItL Moderators

Kinokokao
ItL Moderator

Postby Kinokokao » Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:06 am

KKINO I FUKKIN LOVE YOU MAN

ZetaBladeX13
ItL Moderator

Postby ZetaBladeX13 » Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:14 am

Paranoia
Fenrir
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Paranoia » Sat Jul 05, 2008 3:55 am

Last edited by Paranoia on Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kitsunexus
Alraune
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Kitsunexus » Sat Jul 05, 2008 4:03 am

-Kitsunexus
OMFGOLDFISH!

ZetaBladeX13
ItL Moderator

Postby ZetaBladeX13 » Sat Jul 05, 2008 5:21 pm

ziron
Killclaw

Postby ziron » Sat Jul 05, 2008 5:21 pm

Kitsunexus
Alraune

Postby Kitsunexus » Sat Jul 05, 2008 5:42 pm

-Kitsunexus

OMFGOLDFISH!

matt
Fenrir

Postby matt » Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:40 am

Hey Kinokokao and others, I just ordered a MicroSD and R4DS. I think I'm getting the R4 today, but the flash card came a couple of days ago (they were cheap on Amazon Marketplace, and you can find them if you search in the section "Everything Else" rather than "Electronics"). I was planning on using YouTube videos to learn how to play Jenesis emulator (Sega Genesis) and NES on it if I couldn't figure it out myself. There are forums out there dedicated to R4 and a number of YouTube videos explaining it (search for both "r4ds" and "r4 ds" with a space). Usually the people helping you in those videos sound like they're about 12 years old, wihch bothers me greatly. But if you need help email me at stalepie@hotmail.com. Of course it could be that I "don't get around" to ever using tihs stuff because I have the systems upstairs and many years of experience playing emulators to boot and find video games these days pretty boring (ie, I canceled my order of EO2 and there just aren't that many kinds of games and it gets old after a while -- http://www.geocities.com/stalepie/vg_types.htm), but now that I've said this I'll no doubt spite myself and turn around and indeed get the flash cart and stuff up and running ASAP, so feel free to drop me a line about it if you or anyone else still needs help, whenever that is. [/i]

matt
Fenrir

Postby matt » Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:03 pm

Hi. Just a little update on the R4. I finally received it today and I got jEnesisDS and NesDS up and working on it in no time at all. You merely have to copy over some files that come with the CD (it tells you in the manual), or download it off their site if you don't get the CD (some distributions of R4DS no longer come with the CD). The files are in the "system" folder in your language (English). You just copy all those over to the TF card (that little card that fits inside the USB flash reader and the r4 cart). Make sure you insert the TF card correctly into the R4 cart. I found it pretty self-explanatory.

So far I'm a little disappointed, though, at least with the Genesis emulation. PicoDrive doesn't have sound, so I went with jEnesisDS. It seemed good at first, but then I realized I was seeing the whole screen -- you have to press L and R to scroll the screen left and right. Very annoying, I would like to see the whole screen at once. PicoDrive at least shows the whole screen. (Maybe there's an option I don't see?) Also the sound can be REALLY BAD in jEnesis, while at other times surprisingly good. I think it will improve in the future .

Haven't tried SNES emulator(s) yet, but NesDS is good. Graphics look scrunched, which is bad, but I noticed the same problem with Genesis emulation. It must be hard to get the different resolutions of the old systems looking right on the DS.

[edit;] actually you can adjust the screen in nesDS and change the "blend type" (a-lerp, flicker, none) to get a sharp, non-scrunched picture. nesDS has turned out to be quite good. Still haven't tried SNES emulation yet though heh

24 posts

Return to “Discussion Section”