Final Fantasy IV DS-Who is getting it?

Chat about anything and everything non-Etrian related!

Moderator: ItL Moderators

102 posts
scy
Manticor

Postby scy » Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:46 pm

Riseatrance
Manticor

Postby Riseatrance » Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:51 pm

My current game projects:
茨心 -Thornheart- (jRPG, yuri) || Heaven's Kiss: Fallen Hydrangea (Twine, yuri romance)

(#dota2) I support Team DK! 国土無双 (LaNm), you will be missed...

Follow me on Twitter at !
3DS - 3883:5561:7702 (Please msg me on Twitter/here/Skype if you add me!)
PAD - 201,267,866 (Japanese Servers. Common Leaders: Archangel, Ganesh)

scy
Manticor

Postby scy » Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:10 pm

Kinokokao
ItL Moderator

Postby Kinokokao » Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:24 pm

KKINO I FUKKIN LOVE YOU MAN

Hobbun
Killclaw
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Hobbun » Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:33 pm

Kinokokao
ItL Moderator

Postby Kinokokao » Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:40 pm

BF says they were closer to pen-and-paper RPGS. They were turn-based, top-down perspective.
Whenever I've watched him play it's been like your character moves so many spaces and has so many movement points. Sorry I can't explain it too well since he's the expert ^^;
But definitely not FPS.

KKINO I FUKKIN LOVE YOU MAN

scy
Manticor

Postby scy » Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:46 pm

The other Fallouts were nothing like an FPS and not every game with guns and a first-person perspective is automatically an FPS. I mean, I suppose they are technically but, really, how else do you want to play a game with guns for weapons and aiming being necessary? Menus? Third-person "it looks like my gun lines up!"? I'll never understand those complaints; if I'm using a Gun, give me an FPS (or over-the-shoulder pseudo-FPS) view so I can aim right damn it.

That or I suppose just not make aiming "matter," but Fallout has always had a locational damage system so "aiming" makes sense; that or "WHERE U TARGET?!?!" menus, but I'd rather do the aiming myself, thank you very much.

Maybe I'm just an evil FPS supporter since I like the games (hell, I apparently don't hate any game genre except shitty games; is that a genre? Hrm). If it's entertaining, it wins. That's all.

Hobbun
Killclaw
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Hobbun » Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:58 pm

scy
Manticor

Postby scy » Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:11 pm

Hobbun
Killclaw

Postby Hobbun » Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:20 pm

Ok, thanks Scy and Kino. :) I can do a search on a YouTube video for the first two Fallouts if I really want to know.

As for FF IV DS, the day isn't short enough at work. I still have two hours to go, then I pick it up. *looks at clock again*

Hobbun
Killclaw

Postby Hobbun » Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:24 pm

Teclo
Bloodant

Postby Teclo » Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:53 pm

I've played it for about 7 hours now. It's an improvement over the original but all the stupid plot thing still remain. For example...

[spoiler]The prince sees his dead lover on the floor of the throne room. A big deal is made of it and they wheel out the voice acting. However, after the scene is done, he says "Ah, Anna I really loev u!!!" and then walks off, leaving her corpse on the floor of the room - presumably to rot over the course of the game. This kind of thing just totally decimates any decent plot the game has. Oh well....[/spoiler]

scy
Manticor

Postby scy » Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:06 am

[spoiler]As opposed to those other games with their proper b... hrm, wait...

Most character deaths in every game are pretty much just leaving the body behind or "OH NOS!" and then the corpse vanishes. Not exactly sure how a scene like that ruins the plot, to be honest, but I suppose things like that don't really bother me.

Edit: Not that FFIV had a stellar plot to begin with ...

That and I don't want the burial to end up being a dumb fetch quest and mini-game like Lost Odyssey. What the fuck was that. A MINI-GAME. FUNERAL.

Though it is kind of a funny thought that she rots there the entire game. As creepy as that sentence just sounded.[/spoiler]

Vapour Trail
Manticor

Postby Vapour Trail » Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:48 am

[spoiler]The entire return to Mysidia sequence, where Cecil changes into a Paladin, has got to be one of the dumbest plot sequences I've ever seen in a game. I still like the game for nostalgic reasons, but the story is unbelievably awful.[quote][/quote][/spoiler]

scy
Manticor

Postby scy » Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:04 am

[spoiler]It definitely could've been done better than how it appeared; in essence, him "returning" at all meant that he was on the path of atonement. Really wish the game portrayed that better as opposed to, "k, you lose the cool armor, sort-of look like a transexual, but you're cool with us now!"[/spoiler]

102 posts

Return to “Discussion Section”