Final Fantasy IV DS-Who is getting it?

Chat about anything and everything non-Etrian related!

Moderator: ItL Moderators

102 posts
Hobbun
Killclaw
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Hobbun » Sun Jul 13, 2008 1:24 pm

Thanks for the review. :)

You know, even though reviewers on a game site are our critics for the gaming community, it is still the opinion of only one person.

"For the first time, console role-players weren't given a few generic heroes and charged with stopping the evil wizard and saving the world; instead, they were introduced to a wide assortment of realistic characters who struggled with complex adult issues such as love, hate, honor, duty, betrayal, and redemption."-Gamespot

http://www.gamerankings.com/itemranking ... wid=950358

This is more my opinion of FF IV's story. But no one's opinion is wrong. It is how each of us view and interpret things. That is why it is an opinion. :)

Although I will admit have never really agreed with RPGamer's reviews, anyways. They are one of the sites that feel if the RPG still uses turn-based combat (this one incorporating ATB as well), it feels old. There is nothing wrong with a good turn-based combat system in our current times. Also, they complained that the combat had not command qeues. Of course it didn't, it never did. You could never see the order of who was attacking. Why complain about that?

What did they want SE do, overhaul the battle system? Make it more like FF XII? That would have been a horrible idea. Not only due to the fact it would have changed the game drastically, but I really think it is a worse combat system. But that is for another thread.

Teclo
Bloodant
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Teclo » Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:24 am

I think, if anything, they were just questioning the validity of a remake if all they do is change the graphics. I don't think Gamespot are right to identify those things as "adult" since most kids' cartoons have "love, hate, honor, duty, betrayal and redemption" in them. Take something like DBZ or even Disney's adaptation of The Little Mermaid for example. There's no such thing as an adult theme per se, the maturity comes into it with how they deal with it.

I'm all for personal opinion and I'm always drawn more to people that will volunteer more leftfield ideas or responses to things, but I couldn't appreciate the views of somebody who, say, thought Mega Bomberman was a deep and meaningful allegory of modern warfare. In other words, there is a line between opinion and reality. I can fully and honestly appreciate someone being fond of the FFIV characters but if one was to say that they are realistic, I seriously cannot take that outlook as anything more than a mistake. I don't think that you're saying that but that Gamespot quote seems weirdly in love with some pretty basic archetypes.

Hobbun
Killclaw

Postby Hobbun » Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:44 am

Vapour Trail
Manticor

Postby Vapour Trail » Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:21 am

Hobbun
Killclaw

Postby Hobbun » Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:04 am

Teclo
Bloodant

Postby Teclo » Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:18 am

Vapour Trail
Manticor

Postby Vapour Trail » Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:54 am

Hobbun
Killclaw

Postby Hobbun » Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:35 am

Teclo
Bloodant

Postby Teclo » Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:52 am

Oh well, if you're going to bring the Elder Scrolls series into it all you're going to see is me on one furious rant! I hate that series so much... I mean, if I was the boss of whoever published those games, and the developers brought any of those games in, I'd say "Hahaha, that's great man... So, er, where's the actual game then?" They're like a disc full of glitches that have, if you squint, a game somewhere within.

scy
Manticor

Postby scy » Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:00 am

Hobbun
Killclaw

Postby Hobbun » Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:00 am

Teclo
Bloodant

Postby Teclo » Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:09 am

Kitsunexus
Alraune

Postby Kitsunexus » Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:13 am

-Kitsunexus
OMFGOLDFISH!

scy
Manticor

Postby scy » Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:21 am

Hobbun
Killclaw

Postby Hobbun » Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:28 am

102 posts

Return to “Discussion Section”