Favorite Books and Current Reads

Chat about anything and everything non-Etrian related!

Moderator: ItL Moderators

2067 posts
Kinokokao
ItL Moderator

Favorite Books and Current Reads

Postby Kinokokao » Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:19 am

KKINO I FUKKIN LOVE YOU MAN

Maxine MagicFox
ItL Webmaster

Postby Maxine MagicFox » Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:13 am

[] - [] - [] - []

Kitsunexus
Alraune
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Kitsunexus » Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:16 am

-Kitsunexus
OMFGOLDFISH!

Kinokokao
ItL Moderator

Postby Kinokokao » Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:29 am

KKINO I FUKKIN LOVE YOU MAN

Kitsunexus
Alraune
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Kitsunexus » Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:35 am

-Kitsunexus

OMFGOLDFISH!

Seniwac
Manticor

Postby Seniwac » Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:15 pm

no twilight please

no twilight

make it go awaaaaaay

in other news, robert jordan's books are full of lol. they're so long and full of unnecessary details. it's probably possible to skip every second paragraph and still understand what's going on

but besides that, they're good reads, albeit a bit cheesy

anyways, i am reading lolita right now and will dive into the republic once i finish lolita
Last edited by Seniwac on Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Maxine MagicFox
ItL Webmaster

Postby Maxine MagicFox » Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:27 pm

>_> Seni, if you are going to discuss something, do it intelligently and offer more opinons than "it's full of lol" (that's the dumbest sentence I've seen all morning XD) *sigh* I'm probably just a little pissy this morning, though.

[] - [] - [] - []

ziron
Killclaw

Postby ziron » Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:28 pm

I am a huge fan of the original Dracula by Bram Stoker. The Image given to him today - as a blood thirsty violent beast, is nothing like how Stoker intended. Dracula was a gentleman. He was a true demon. He was sauve and kind as he stole you soul and damned you to eternal hell. But sometimes he would drop the act and go crazy.

And the presentation of the book in journals was amazing. Dracula was a living breathing character - irony- he had goals, dreams - albeit evil and horrible - but goals none the less.

I have read many Asimov books, a ton of Arthur Clarke. I have dabble in various fantasy. I have a huge Stephen King Collection. I have read various other books. 1984, A brave new world. I have read The grapes of wrath. the great gatsby. As i lay dieing. Lots of books.

Yeah. But I was turned off by the high/deep fantasy novels in my early years (11 yo). It was just to cheesy for me. TOO Fan written.

Maxine MagicFox
ItL Webmaster

Postby Maxine MagicFox » Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:46 pm

Haha, ziron, I like the fan-written feel. Looking at another person's inner imagination.

I've never been able to locate the original Bram Stoker books (not that I've tried that hard). I want to try to find them 'cause that's my idea of him a lot more. A gentelmen to a fault. I also like a little bit of sexiness in blood sucking scenes like manga puts in occassionaly, but I think manga vampires are crap. Vampire Knight comes close and it can get my fan-girl self excited, but :\ still not my idea. I'll probably end up writing my own series, one day.

I can't read Stephen King. I LOVE his ideas. They are ingenious! However, his writing style puts me off or puts me to sleep. Going off on random, un-related tangents, or just not able to find an appropriate ending. Grapes of Wrath bored me to death. Great Gatsby was good, but was ruined by my damn AP class. Tearing into the book and trying to match my ideas with the teacher was NOT fun.

[] - [] - [] - []

ziron
Killclaw

Postby ziron » Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:57 pm

My teacher took a hands off approached to great gatsby. Once most people read the ending - we were like WHAT THE FUCK.

Oh We also did The Death of a Salesman.

I like Stephen king because his tangents - it is something I have a tendancy of doing while talking. However, some of the ending do piss me off. But I have to say- The ending to the Stand is perfect. Nothing worse the angry hand of God.

I also like stephen king because it pisses off ultra-conservative strict - omg that book says fuck - christians.

Maxine MagicFox
ItL Webmaster

Postby Maxine MagicFox » Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:03 pm

Yeah, my AP class did Grapes of Wratch, Chocolate Wars, Great Gatsby, Death of a Salesman, and Beloved. I hated my AP teacher. She wanted to fucking analazye everything to death and she would often miss the point of what things were trying to say, but when I tried to correct her, she would get fucking pissed. I was so glad I dropped the class before she dove us into Catcher in the Rye. I'll read it for myself and enjoy it the way the author meant.

[] - [] - [] - []

ziron
Killclaw

Postby ziron » Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:06 pm

Catcher in the Rye.... If it was never written Lennon would still be alive.

Seniwac
Manticor

Postby Seniwac » Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:10 pm

ah the chocolate war

so many people who were in my class when we did the chocolate war hated it because it was too depressing for them. they didn't like the ending because they expected Jeremy to triumph, but he got the shit kicked out of him

i, for one, loved it. i really loved how it all so thoroughly depressing and how the protagonist doesn't triumph in the end.

Akarshi
Killclaw

Postby Akarshi » Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:15 pm

I really like reading, but lately I've been reading less because my house simply can't fit any more books....(3 crates full of books, a stand of books in the living room, two bookshelves downstairs, one bookshelf upstairs, various books scattered around the house...)

Lately, I've really been getting into reading High Fantasy. The whole concept of creating a world and populating it with people, political systems, flora, fauna, and races is incredibly fascinating for me.

Most recently, I've reread Brave Story, 1984, A Brave New World (I like these false utopia books too), and a bunch of Kafka.

Oh, I also like books with lots of symbols like Lord of the Flies. It's just fun to pick up on them and analyze them. I'm sort of weird for my age (most of my classmates hate analyzing books) but it's pretty fun.

Maxine MagicFox
ItL Webmaster

Postby Maxine MagicFox » Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:27 pm

Lord of the Flies remains one of my FAVORITE books of all time. That one and Animal Farm. They were both absolutely fantastic.

@Seni - I LOVED TCW so much I bought the sequal... which fucking sucked. It was no where near as good as the first and it took back many of the statements the first one made and the theme of the futility of fighting the norm was just no where near as strong.

I, too, loved that the kid didn't win. He didn't have a chance in hell. Plus, even if he did - nothing would have changed. He would merely have been put in the spotlight of hrarrasment that much more. I had actually hoped the sequal would have been - he did win - now what.

For all fantasy lovers - anyone ever read Artemis Fowl? :3 One of my favorite books.

[] - [] - [] - []

2067 posts

Return to “Discussion Section”