Favorite Books and Current Reads

Chat about anything and everything non-Etrian related!

Moderator: ItL Moderators

2067 posts
GhostsandDragons
Fenrir

Re: Favorite Books and Current Reads

Postby GhostsandDragons » Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:33 am

At the recommendation of a family member, I picked up "A Wizard of Earthsea" from the ancient lands people seem to call a "public library"? I haven't actually started reading but I'm gonna wait so I can do some night-time reading. (I didn't even know we had a book trend???)
The odds of finding me online are only slightly higher then finding a shiny pokemon

Kimiko
Manticor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Kimiko » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:08 am

As part of my .hack adventures, I read .hack//AI Buster the other day. It was pretty good, providing some interesting background for the anime and games.
Kimiko

Rewatching: Beast Player Erin

Maxine MagicFox
ItL Webmaster

Postby Maxine MagicFox » Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:25 am

[] - [] - [] - []

Maxine MagicFox
ItL Webmaster

Postby Maxine MagicFox » Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:48 am

Random funny comment. Noticed this when I was posting in another thread. My nook's current main desktop made me pause and question myself.

I have two naughty books, Percy Jackson, Ranger's Apprentice, Familiars (age 10+ readers), Terry Goodkind's Naked Empire, City of Glass, Count of Monte Cristo, and Watership Down.

...My tastes are varied to say the least... Even more funny when you consider that the book for the 10 year olds is sandwiched between the two naughty books. Somehow that really just seems wrong. I'm sure some shrink would have a field day just looking at this.

[] - [] - [] - []

zamisk
ItL Moderator

Postby zamisk » Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:03 pm

So far this winter break I have re-read all 15 issues of East of West, which is the craziest thing ever, and all 135 issues of Walking Dead, which still keeps me on the edge of my seat despite multiple re-reads. I've also read some of Chew, which I don't enjoy as much as everyone else seems to for whatever reason. I've only read 4 of the 8 trades, so maybe it improves?

But yeah, when I'm not job-hunting, I'm cuddled up in blankets on my bed reading comics. It's very nice to have some time off.

"Everyone else is idiots, Zamisk. And you am idiots. And I are idiots."
-PLA

Trifkin
Manticor

Postby Trifkin » Fri Dec 26, 2014 12:36 am

It's taking me forever to re-read Frankenstein, but I'm enjoying it just as much as the first time I read it back in school.

My friend got me a beautiful leather bound edition of The Complete Hitchhiker's Guide series, so I'm looking forward to reading that. :3

zamisk
ItL Moderator

Postby zamisk » Sun Dec 28, 2014 12:56 am

Pics. Now.

-PLA

Outsethero
Ragelope
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Outsethero » Mon Dec 29, 2014 4:54 am

I am currently over halfway through the second volume of the Sword Art Online novels. c:

zamisk
ItL Moderator

Postby zamisk » Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:41 pm

I have so little free time right now, but I read a lot of Hellboy in my art history class every week. I justify it because it is both art and kind of history. Well, legends and lore and stuff.

I know Starfe has read it and liked it, but it is right up both his and Trifkin's alley. When I have some disposable income, I want the oversized artist's editions so bad. It's gorgeous and incredibly immersive. It's on a whole other level than most other comics.

-PLA

Hong
Manticor

Postby Hong » Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:49 pm

I've taken a short break from The Deed of Paksenarrion to read a more literal take on The Art of War.

PLA
Manticor

Postby PLA » Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:11 am

^ More than half of my copy is commentary, notes, and the Yinqueshan-version.
"Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons!"

"I'm so happy with my evil plan; goodbye to music, gym and art
Soon I'll have the perfect school, where fun and excitement never start"

Wagahaiwa neko de aru.

Hong
Manticor

Postby Hong » Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:24 am

Maxine MagicFox
ItL Webmaster

Postby Maxine MagicFox » Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:25 am

I read the book The Kite Runner thinking I would deal with the story the way that I deal with books like The Book Thief. I wish I had done more research about the sort of content the book handles and how far it goes. I really wish I had not picked it up now. Not because it's not a fantastic book and because it was educational, etc and all that, but because there are just some things I don't want in my head.

Was the child-rape scenes necessary? Seriously? Was there no other way for the author to have conveyed trauma? Or to tell his story? I'm really disgusted and just wish I had some mindbleach.

Worse it's one of those stories that seems to just now be stuck in my head. :\

[] - [] - [] - []

Trifkin
Manticor

Postby Trifkin » Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:54 am

I have to concentrate on puppies running in slow motion after reading about or seeing things like that.

Reynard-Miri
Manticor

Postby Reynard-Miri » Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:38 am

The book was required reading for my freshman orientation. I put it down not long after that scene.

I don't want to talk about it.

2067 posts

Return to “Discussion Section”