Favorite Books and Current Reads

Chat about anything and everything non-Etrian related!

Moderator: ItL Moderators

2067 posts
Pickert
Ragelope
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Re: Favorite Books and Current Reads

Postby Pickert » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:53 am

I'm currently reading Susan Ee's Andelfall. Nearly done with it actually. It's such a cool book and I hope the rest of the trilogy is as good as the first book.

Trifkin
Manticor

Postby Trifkin » Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:24 pm

What's everybody reading right now? I'm currently bouncing between way too many books and trying to narrow it down to one novel and one non-fiction at a time. It's difficult.

In light of everything that's happening here in America, I've just started reading a book called The End of Policing by Alex S. Vitale. Interesting stuff.

scy
Manticor

Postby scy » Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:25 am

Still doing my Fantasy dive so going into finishing this:

I finished it's partner book awhile ago and the ... kind of unexpected series finale took me off-guard so I put aside finishing the series altogether. Yes, I forgot what trilogy would mean for book 3, I am not proud of this moment. And I say trilogy but technically it's 6 books as two different PoVs told simultaneously so cut me some slack when I say that book 5 of 3 leading to a finale was unexpected!

Fun (...maybe not the best word?) worldbuilding with a clear inspiration from Cthulu / Deep Ones / Elder abominations and the like without being too terribly heavy to read through since they're not terribly long at around 2500 pages for all 6 books. I may have a weird definition of length but 6 books hitting that amount vs like ... two Stormlight Archive entries but it uses a lot of it's own terminology, magic system, etc. but never felt too confusing to follow.

Archaic Sage
ItL Webmaster

Postby Archaic Sage » Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:50 am

I'm reading Age of War by Michael Sullivan at the moment, it's really good epic fantasy. I think it's the second or third book in the series and it's really enjoyable and not overly descriptive. Quite a comfortable read really. I'd reccomend it for people who enjoy long fantasy that's got it's own lore and tons of races :).

[ | | | | ]

SteelCrow
Fenrir
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby SteelCrow » Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:49 pm

Putting my two cents in here. My book-reading went way down and continues to remain so ever since acquiring my own PC, but still read a few each year.

Right now I'm reading the Ready Player One that I found in my apartment's dumpster (It was definitely a situation where somebody threw out their roommate's stuff, the books were in good condition). I like it a lot, and I understand some of the references having been born right at the end of the 80's. I saw the movie of it once, and I'm surprised at how well that was adapted now that I'm reading the book. Even though a few details are very different, I get the same core feeling I remember from the movie.

Trifkin
Manticor

Postby Trifkin » Fri Jun 05, 2020 3:03 am

I enjoyed that book. I remember the author running some kind of contest in real life to win a DeLorean around the release of the trade paperback edition or something. I wanted that DeLorean so bad! It even had a flux capacitor.

Sampson
Literary Voyeur

Postby Sampson » Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:43 am

Speaking of fantasy--I started The Dragonborne Chair about a year ago and loved it, but real life got in the way so I never got through the start of part 2. I keep telling myself I'll pick it back up, buuuut will I actually?

scy
Manticor

Postby scy » Sat Jun 06, 2020 2:42 am

Archaic Sage
ItL Webmaster

Postby Archaic Sage » Sat Jun 13, 2020 12:32 pm

I hadn't read the Riyria books yet. I started on the Age of War as it came up on my recommendations on Goodreads. I've really enjoyed the writing style as it's in depth but an easy read.

[ | | | | ]

YakForger
Ragelope

Postby YakForger » Tue Aug 25, 2020 1:17 pm

I don't know why, but I've stopped reading fantasy 2 years ago, as if I had just read too much of it.
I still very much enjoy fantasy games and movies, but books just... don't cut it anymore, and the reason remains unclear. But at least, I'm having fun reading other things; for example, I've recently finished Kaoru Mori's manga Otoyomegatari, which is a "slice of life" story... set in 19th century Central Asia, and am halfway through Antony Beevor's book about the Spanish Civil War.

Archaic Sage
ItL Webmaster

Postby Archaic Sage » Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:33 am

Have you tried different types of fantasy books? I try to break up the reading a bit by reading other things, so it's not just one constant stream of the same genre - even if I do enjoy it.

I've just finished Oryx and Crake by Margaret Atwood. At first I did not enjoy it, at all. Maybe the first third of the book I was very anti it and didn't really "get" it, but by the end I've really enjoyed it and become quite invested in the characters. The second book is now in my TBR queue.

I'm now reading Crime Dot Com, which details the rise of cybercrime and information security matters over the past 40 years - a work read, but so far, barring the lack of technical infomration which I expected to be missing, it's accessible and pretty good.

This will be followed by the sequel to Oryx and Crake, The Light of All That Falls by James Islington, The Great Gatsby by Scott Fitzgerald, The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan or Words of Radiace by Brandon Sanderson.

[ | | | | ]

Archaic Sage
ItL Webmaster

Postby Archaic Sage » Sun Nov 01, 2020 11:24 am

So I finished the Oryx and Crake series - which was really good! It was very weird reading about pandemics and stuff at the same time as one was happening in the world. I did not read this with the knowledge that it was pandemic-y but because it was well reviewed.

Crime Dot Com, was OK. It was nothing new to me, but that's probably a good thing.

I then ended up reading The Ride of a Lifetime by Michael Eisner, which is a business book come autobiography of the CEO of Disney. It was actually pretty interesting and insightful. It was, importantly, an easy ready without too much bragging.

Now I'm reading The Light of All that Falls by James Islington. Which I'm loving so far :).

[ | | | | ]

2067 posts

Return to “Discussion Section”