Favorite Books and Current Reads

Chat about anything and everything non-Etrian related!

Moderator: ItL Moderators

2067 posts
Maxine MagicFox
ItL Webmaster

Postby Maxine MagicFox » Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:50 pm

[] - [] - [] - []

Archaic Sage
ItL Webmaster

Postby Archaic Sage » Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:00 pm

I wouldn't say he was merely a listener as the passage where he was up in the mountains and saw that flower bloom is very similar to Adam and Eve, more specifically the forbidden fruit. As the moment he touches the flower he has to leave that Eden like area and then he's killed. In many respects he's the only one who has an active spiritual involvement.

It could be argued that from the moment Simon is killed, the boys link to civilisation is severed. However, Simon does have all of those hallucinations, which could be linked to listening to God. It's a tricky area, but he's the most Christ like out of the lot anyway.

[ | | | | ]

Maxine MagicFox
ItL Webmaster

Postby Maxine MagicFox » Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:06 pm

Yes, more "Christ-like" but not Christ, 'cause you have to remember that the book is questioning, ESPECIALLY at the end, "Who's there to save the Naval officer out in the sea. IS God watching?"

I think if you put Simon, Piggy, and the MC (what was his name?) together - you'd get Christ.

[] - [] - [] - []

Seniwac
Manticor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Seniwac » Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:46 pm

Vapour Trail
Manticor
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Vapour Trail » Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:55 pm

My favorite book ever is probably by Thomas Pynchon. Sure, it's pretentious as hell, but dude knows how to write. So it evens out.

Right now I'm reading , which is pretty good. No wizards or dragons in it, though.

Kitsunexus
Alraune

Postby Kitsunexus » Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:01 pm

-Kitsunexus
OMFGOLDFISH!

Teclo
Bloodant

Postby Teclo » Tue Jul 08, 2008 11:57 pm

To be honest, the only fantasy book I've ever really liked is Lord of the Rings, but boy do I like it. I've even starting buying the 13 background books that they released. I like fantasy settings in general but whenever I try to read a fantasy books I just feel like I'm reading to same old archetypcal stuff all over again. I agree with Neil Gaiman when he said (something along the lines of) "It's ironic and sad that the fantasy genre has become one of the genres most devoid of imagination and creativity".

Anyway, I don't so much have favourite books so much as I have favourite authors; I tend to see each of their books as adding to an overall whole rather than being totally separate things. One of my favourite authors is Aldous Huxley and as you read his various books you can really see how he develops as a person throughout the course of writing them all. He goes from writing sardonically about 1920s high society (Chrome Yellow) to writing about his hallucinogenic experiences with mescaline (The Doors of Perception) to writing about a post-apocalyptic society with inverted values (Ape and Essence) to writing about a Utopian society which, in actual fact, is only perfect on the surface since it's all based around placebos and distractions (Brave New World). To any anime fans reading this, Appleseed was inspired and based on Brave New World; it even uses the same terms for the different social castes, IIRC.

Maxine MagicFox
ItL Webmaster

Postby Maxine MagicFox » Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:55 am

I have a different view, Teclo. To me, books should be individual existances. Personally, I hate series. :P I hated it when I was growing up and if they didn't have book 5 of a 12 book series - I was screwed. I HATED that. I carry that over into my writings, too. I'll never do a strict series. Yes, past adventures influence the next book as part of a chronological thing, but if a kid goes to the library and book 3 isn't there, they can safely pick up book 4 and hardly be missing a beat. The Maxine-saga is probably the closest to a formulated series that it will get, but even then, after book 4, it shakes it out and just has fun.

I also find think it's a strength if a writer can write two different books and they are so wildly different in structure that it's like "is this the same person!"

[] - [] - [] - []

Kitsunexus
Alraune

Postby Kitsunexus » Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:59 am

-Kitsunexus

OMFGOLDFISH!

Teclo
Bloodant

Postby Teclo » Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:16 am

Kinokokao
ItL Moderator

Postby Kinokokao » Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:24 am

KKINO I FUKKIN LOVE YOU MAN

Teclo
Bloodant

Postby Teclo » Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:30 am

Maxine MagicFox
ItL Webmaster

Postby Maxine MagicFox » Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:51 am

[] - [] - [] - []

Teclo
Bloodant

Postby Teclo » Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:57 am

Maxine MagicFox
ItL Webmaster

Postby Maxine MagicFox » Wed Jul 09, 2008 1:59 am

[] - [] - [] - []

2067 posts

Return to “Discussion Section”